Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module
The Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module is a studio-grade tube distortion for the 500 series format. Built to provide anything from subtle warmth to thick and heavy harmonic distortion, the Space Heater 500 is both useful and fun!
The Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Circuit Module is built around a 12AX7 tube. First, a drive control lets you determine the amount of signal passing through the tube. Next, a 3-position heat switch allows you to apply 35, 70 or 140 volts at the plate to change how the tube reacts to the signal. At the low 35V setting the tube is starved for voltage which causes the tube to break up at a very low volume. The middle 70V setting is a great starting point and allows the tube to handle more level before breaking up to a moderate distortion. At 140 volts, maximum voltage is applied to the tube producing slight saturation and warmth. Sweepable high-pass and low-pass filters can be assigned 'pre or post' tube, allowing you to focus the tube effect on a particular frequency band or cause the tube to react in a different way. Finally, an output level control provides attenuation or boost through an oversized Jensen transformer specially selected for its big bottom end and vintage character.
Enhancing a snare with a touch of distortion can increase presence without losing dynamic range. Blending in some overdrive to a bass track can add clarity without overpowering. Adding distortion to a vocal track can add character and sizzle to cut through the mix without over-compression. The Radial Space Heater 500's amazing 'adjustability' allows it to be used as a subtle effect or as a high gain monster. And no matter your approach, it is sure to find its way on nearly everything you record!
The Radial Space Heater 500 to infinity and beyond!
Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module Features
- Studio grade 12AX7 tube overdrive
- 35, 70 & 140 Volt Heat switch to set plate B+ voltage
- Transformer coupled output for vintage tone
- Variable HPF & LPF filters to focus distortion
Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module Applications
- DI Bass recording - Adding some distortion to a direct bass recording can make it sound like an amp in the mix. Experiment with the level and drive controls to take a clean bass into SVT territory!
- Harmonic distortion while tracking - Placing the Radial Space Heater in line with your mic preamp allows you to record the luscious harmonic distortion while tracking. Add it to the channel strip of your choice to expand the sonic possiblities.
- Apply analog distortion to digital effects - Adding distortion to the output of a digital delay or reverb can mimic your favourite vintage analog effects. Don't be afraid to turn it up! Distortion can differentiate the effected sound from the direct, allowing it to really jump out of the mix!
Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module Specifications
- Technical Specs:
- Circuit Type: Thermionic Gain stage with solid state input and output buffers
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20KHz ± 1dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion: Varies with Drive and Level settings
- Dynamic Range: 92dB
- Input Impedance Bypassed: 50K
- Input Impedance Active: 1M
- Maximum Input: +20dBu
- Maximum Gain: 32dB@140V, 27dB @70V, 13dB @35V
- Clip Level - Output: +22dBu
- Output Impedance: 100?
- Equivalent Input Noise: -102dBu
- Noise Floor: -70dBu
- Intermodulation Distortion: Varies with drive and level settings
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: -60dB
- Unity Gain Control Position: Drive & level at about 11 o'clock
- Controls: Drive, Level, Hi-Cut filter, Lo-Cut filter
- Switches: "Heat", EQ Pre/Post, IN
- Switches - Rear Panel: Heater polarity selection
- Filter Slopes: 12dB/Octave
- Omniport Function: Unbalanced instrument input
- Construction: 500 Series module
- Finish: Durable powder coat
- Size: (W x H x L) 5.3" x 1.6" x 6.7" (134mm x 40mm x 170mm)
- Weight: 1.55lb
- Shipping Size: (W x H x L): 6.7" x 1.9" x 9.1" (170mm x 48mm x 231mm)
- Shipping Weight: 2lb
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module Includes
- Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Circuit Module
- User Guide
- 3 Year Warranty
Radial Space H-500 500-Series Tube Drive Module Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review