The SoundToys Devil-Loc Deluxe Plug-In is an Audio Level Destroyer - A crushing, pounding, aggressive compressor for massive drums. Devil-Loc Deluxe is SoundToys' spin on an old classic. It's an extreme effect, and can create huge sounds with drums and room mics, and in small amounts can add sizzle to things like vocals or acoustic guitar.
The SoundToys Devil-Loc Deluxe Audio Level Destroyer is a limiter effect plug-in inspired by the Shure Level-Loc (Model M62 Audio Level Controller), a podium mic limiter from the late 1960's. The Level-Loc (and later the Model M62V Audio Level Controller; basically an M62 with an added input level knob) was a consumer-grade brickwall limiting amplifier, designed to keep audio in a PA system level. In the hardware units the output level would be locked (by heavy limiting) once audio reached a certain threshold. Pretty useful piece of hardware for a public address system, right? But why make a plug-in modeled off of this unit? Well, it's all about the way that the Level-Loc would alter those signals.
The following descriptors come to mind:
- ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL
The Level-Loc's unique blend of indiscriminate audio leveling, combined with ample saturation and all-out distortion, gave the Level-Loc boatloads of unintentional mojo. Producer/Engineer (and Soundtoys user) Tchad Blake figured this out and began using the Level-Loc to create massive drum sounds from the gritty, pumping sound of the Level-Loc.
In creating Devil-Loc Deluxe SoundToys knew that they had to not only capture the character of the original hardware, but also turn it into a more studio-friendly tool. After all, the Level-Loc was never really intended to be a musical tool but rather a utilitarian one. They needed to take the one-switch operation of the original (although Shure did add that input level knob later) and expand upon it to allow the user complete control over all the processes that were happening inside of the unit. Devil-Loc Deluxe adds full control over the compression and saturation characteristics of the original, as well as adding switchable release times, a darkness control, and a wet/dry mix control.
With Devil-Loc Deluxe you can create crushing drum tracks, almost rhythmic level sweeps (with crazy sucking compression), and blitzed out saturated lo-fi loops. Drive it hard and you will find a faithful hardware-sounding break-up and drive.
It is devilishly delicious anywhere you need your audio to be fatter, wilder, and most of all, dirtier. Devil-Loc Deluxe is where to turn when you need a touch of evil.
SoundToys Devil-Loc Deluxe Plug-In Features
- Extreme compression effect creates huge drum sounds like nothing else
- Mix knob allows you to dial in just the right amount of grit and ambiance
- Darkness control lets you shape the tone and roll off crunchy highs for a warmer sound
- Selectable fast and slow release times for added variety and control
SoundToys Devil-Loc Deluxe Plug-In Specifications
- All version 5.0.4 Soundtoys products come with 32-bit and 64-bit VST, AU, and AAX Native plug-in formats.
- Here is a list of all of the DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) that are officially supported:
- Pro Tools
- Cubase / Nuendo
- Digital Performer
- *If your DAW is not on this list, it doesn't necessarily mean that SoundToys plug-ins won't work... It just means that it has not been tested. If something goes wrong with an unsupported DAW, SoundToys welcomes to write into support, but they cannot guarantee a solution.
- Supported sample rates:
- Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- System requirements:
- Operating system:
- Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Windows 7 or later
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation.
- Operating system:
- Other requirements:
- iLok.com account (An iLok USB dongle is not required)
SoundToys Devil-Loc Deluxe Plug-In Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review