SoundToys PrimalTap Plug-In
SoundToys PrimalTap Plug-In is a modeled retro dual delay plug-in with freeze for lo-fi pitch warped loops and delays.
SoundToys PrimalTap recreates and expands on the unique features and sound of the classic Lexicon Prime Time Model 93 Digital Delay Processor (first introduced in 1978), a wonderful oddity of a vintage delay. The Prime Time, as you would expect, was capable of a wide range of rich delay, chorus, and flanging sounds all of which have been included within PrimalTap. But in addition to being an all around full-featured delay unit the Prime Time featured a host of unique features, some borne out of technological necessity, which really set this unit apart from the crowd.
The first of these was the Multiply control, designed to extend delay times by as much as 8 times the displayed amount. However, in the late 1970s digital technology was limited and memory was expensive, so to accomplish this extended delay, the sample rate was halved each time the delay length was doubled. This meant that at the maximum 8X multiply setting, the bandwidth was a very low-fi 1.5kHz. Turning the knob with audio playing resulted in drops in octaves, and crazy pitch effects. Over time these oddities became the character of the unit. It sounded like nothing else out there. We really like odd and character.
The other unique feature from the original was the Freeze control (they called it Repeat Hold). It was basically grabbing the delay time and looping it, with whatever was captured in it at the time. Essentially a digital tape loop. Really cool, and eventually discovered by audio experimentalist like Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, David Byrne - you know, guys who think outside the box.
PrimalTap pulls from and expands on many features from the original hardware with two independent delay taps, a time-dividing Adjust control and LFO for mod, mix and feedback controls, and we even modeled the very unique sound of driving hard into the original unit. Because its good to be able to push things too hard. That, and the sound was a totally different character than normal saturation or overdrive.
PrimalTap is more than just a simple delay plug-in to toss into your mix: its a dynamic and inspiring effect with real personality. Its meant to be played with and manipulated to warp, mangle or reshape whatever goes in. So jump in and play, and if you need some hints, come back here and use this manual to guide you to the next level.
SoundToys PrimalTap Plug-In Features
- Get vintage digital delay sounds inspired by the quirky Prime Time echo
- Create complex delay effects and modulations with 2 independent delay taps
- Create insane pitch jumps with the Multiply knob
- Create everything from lush chorus to sci-fi warbles with the VCO section
- Sample, loop and warp incoming audio using the unique Freeze control
- Go beyond the original hardware with expanded memory and creative new features
SoundToys PrimalTap Plug-In Specifications
- All version 5.0.4 Soundtoys products come with 32-bit and 64-bit VST, AU, and AAX Native plug-in formats.
- Here is a list of all of the DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) that are officially supported:
- Pro Tools
- Cubase / Nuendo
- Digital Performer
- *If your DAW is not on this list, it doesn't necessarily mean that SoundToys plug-ins won't work... It just means that it has not been tested. If something goes wrong with an unsupported DAW, SoundToys welcomes to write into support, but they cannot guarantee a solution.
- Supported sample rates:
- Minimum: 44.1 kHz, Maximum: 192 kHz
- System requirements:
- Operating system:
- Mac OS X 10.8 or later
- Windows 7 or later
- An internet connection is required at the time of activation.
- Operating system:
- Other requirements:
- iLok.com account (An iLok USB dongle is not required)
SoundToys PrimalTap Plug-In Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review