The Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System comes housed in a compact airline friendly carry-on case designed to revolutionize piano miking and achieve an incredible improvement in piano sound with no mic stands or booms.
The Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System provides the best of both worlds. A simple piano miking system that takes just minutes to setup and provides incredible results for live performances.
Engineered to allow open or closed lid miking, the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ is ideal for a wide range of miking situations. In a recording studio with no other instruments, the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ shines with the lid open. When in more crowded settings such as on a concert stage shared with other instruments, merely close the piano lid to isolate the piano and minimize leakage. In both scenarios the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic ™will capture the piano with incredible detail.
At the heart of the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ are two random incidence omnidirectional microphones, specifically designed for use inside of a piano, which is a diffuse sound field. This means that sound is coming at the microphones from multiple sources and multiple directions. A random-incidence microphone is designed to be placed within such a diffuse sound field and pick up sounds uniformly, whether they arrive at the front, the sides or the rear of the microphone. The Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ System achieves much of its remarkable performance through the use of specially designed, 40kHz random-incidence High Definition Microphones™.
Because of the near-perfect omnidirectional polar response of the microphones and extraordinarily tight impulse response, the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ picks up every note with consistently. So, the full range of the piano including the high and low strings will be reproduced with no hot spots.
In addition, the microphones exhibit no proximity effect, regardless of their distance from the piano strings or soundboard. The mics, when positioned close to the sound source, also provide incredible gain before feedback and can handle up to 148dB SPL.
Designed with touring environments in mind, the Earthworks PM40T Touring PM40T takes the incredible performance of the original PM40 PianoMic and houses it in a compact airline friendly carrying case. The telescoping bar detaches in the center, making the PM40T much more compact for travel.
The PM40T PianoMic™ system mounts within the piano for minimum visibility on stage. The telescoping bar allows the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ to be quickly and easily installed in nearly all grand pianos and to place the microphones close to or away from the dampers and get the exact sound desired.
Set on flexible goosenecks, the microphone capsules can be easily repositioned for optimal microphone placement.
A separate output stage box features a 5-pin XLR input and two 3-pin XLR outputs. A leather case with a strap allows the box to be mounted onto a piano leg, so the microphone remains nearly invisible from outside the piano or with the lid closed.
Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System Features
- Touring Model
- Cannot be seen from outside of the piano (needs no stands or mic booms)
- Superb sound with the piano lid either up or down
- Virtually no leakage from sounds outside the piano
- Incredible gain before feedback
- Recording studios can now record piano with other instruments in the same room
- Handles sound pressure levels up to 148dB
- Quick, Simple and Easy Setup
- 40kHz Random Incidence Omnis
- Hear the full range of the piano including the high and low strings with no hot spots
- The telescoping bar allows the Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic™ to be quickly and easily installed in nearly all grand pianos and to place the microphones close to or away from the dampers and get the exact sound desired
Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System Applications
Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System Specifications
- Frequency Response: 9Hz to 40kHz
- Polar Pattern: Omnidirectional (random incidence)
- Sensitivity: 15mV/Pa (-36dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 24-48V Phantom, 10mA
- Max Acoustic Input: 148dB SPL
- Output: XLR-3 (pin 2+)
- Output Impedance: 65O balanced (between pins 2 & 3)
- Min Output Load: 600O between pins 2 & 3
- Noise: 22dB SPL equivalent (A weighted)
- Mic Gooseneck Length: 4.75?
- Dimensions: 64? fully extended, 46? fully collapsed
- Weight: Mic Assembly .75 lb. (350g), With External Electronics Box 1.5 lb. (700g)
Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System Includes
- 2 x PianoMic Telescoping Bars with Attached Microphone Heads
- 1 x Microphone Electronics Box
- 1 x Leather Pouch for Electronics Box
- 2 x Felt Pads with Adhesive Backing
- 1 x PM40T-C Case
- 1 x PMVM1 Touch-Fastner Mount for PM40
- User’s Manual
- 15 Year Warranty
Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System Downloads
- Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System User Manual (PDF)
- Earthworks PM40T Touring PianoMic System Data Sheet (PDF)
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review