Earthworks PM40 PianoMic System
The innovative Earthworks PianoMic System incorporates all of the Earthworks High Definition Microphone proprietary technologies and some new ones.
Earthworks PM40 PianoMic System Details
The innovative Earthworks PianoMic System incorporates all of the Earthworks High Definition Microphone proprietary technologies and some new ones. The PianoMic System is time coherent and provides extended frequency response to 40kHz, incredible impulse response, very short diaphragm settling time, near-perfect polar response, high SPL handling, low distortion electronics and more.
The PianoMic System is unlike any other microphone ever used on a piano. The specially designed telescoping bar spans across the piano over the strings and is supported at the ends by the piano case. Earthworks' research showed that incredible results can be obtained with the two microphones placed one-third of the way in from each side of the piano and 3 inches in front of the hammers and 3 inches above the strings. However, the telescoping bar can be moved so the two microphones can be placed near the hammers or further away. By loosening the two clutches, the center section of the rod can be moved as much as 8 inches one direction or the other if you desire to favor either the high strings or low strings of the piano. In addition, the flex arms attached to the microphone heads allow them to move approximately 4 inches to the left or right as well as up or down (closer or further from the strings). This illustrates the versatility of the PianoMic System and how easily it can be adjusted to accommodate a wide range of placement options. The PianoMic System uses time coherent, omnidirectional microphones with no proximity effect (i.e. the low frequency response will remain the same no matter what the microphone distance is from the piano strings). The microphones are designed for random-incidence response to obtain optimum sonic results from the sound field inside of the piano.
The PianoMic System has also been designed to provide incredible sound with the piano lid either up or down. There is more air in the sound with the lid up and with the lid down the sound is more condensed, which is desirable for a number of applications such as playing or recording pop music, or when you want the piano to stand out more in a mix. A tremendous amount of gain before feedback is obtained via the proximity of the PianoMic System microphones to the strings and also because of the near-perfect polar response of the microphones. Leakage from the sounds of instruments surrounding the piano is insignificant.
Earthworks PM40 PianoMic System Features
- Incredible High Definition Audio that will outperform any microphones at any price.
- Cannot be seen from outside of the piano
- (needs no stands or mic booms)
- Superb sound with the piano lid either up or down
- Virtually no leakage from sounds outside the piano
- Incredible gain before feedback
- Recording studios can now record piano with other instruments in the same room
- Quick, Simple and Easy Setup
Earthworks PM40 PianoMic System Specifications
- Frequency Response: 9Hz - 40kHz
- Polar Pattern: Omni directional (random-incidence)
- Sensitivity: 15mV/Pa (-36 dBV/Pa)
- Power Requirements: 48V Phantom, 10mA
- Peak Acoustic Input: 148 db SPL
- Output: XLR3 (Pin 2+)
- Min. Output Load: 600 ohms between pins 2 and 3
- Maximum Output Level: +30 dBV (peak)
- Noise: 22 dBA
- Mic Gooseneck Length: 4.75"
- Dimensions: 64" fully extended, 46" fully collapsed
- Product Weight: Mic Assembly: 0.75lb (350g),
- External Electronics Box: 1.5lb (700g)
Earthworks PM40 PianoMic System
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
i am very exited recording using this mics and get a result which is much better then using Neumann KM140, AKG 451 and DPA 4099. It is true that my piano is a little bit over resonant and too rich in mid and low register. Anyway PM40 are so precise and brilliant and in the same time very warm...You just need some time to find the best position experimenting with. I plan to record piano in the same room with sax and it would be possible with this mics without problem..Also the practical side of using this mics are great..Highly recommended