Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer
The Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer is a complete solution for the modern piano player needing realistic piano action, inspiring synth sound and easy connectivity to computers and iOS devices.
The Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer features a Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) weighted action. GHS weighted action has a heavier response in the low keys and a lighter response in the high keys. This provides realistic acoustic piano touch and response. Special matte black key tops absorb moisture and remain tactile after extended use, perfect for long practice or performance sessions.
Full Concert Grand Piano Voice
The Full Concert Grand Piano in the Yamaha MX88 comes directly from the MOTIF series. With a powerful focused low end, highly-detailed midrange and pristine high end, the Full Concert Grand Piano is perfect for any style of music in any environment.
Don’t sacrifice sound for portability - get the Yamaha MX88! The Yamaha MX88 is a lightweight and portable music synthesizer with 88 full-sized, touch-sensitive keys and over 1,000 Voices from the legendary MOTIF.
Optimized Touch Curve
Uniting the GHS action with the Full Concert Grand Piano Voice is an optimized touch curve. This curve provides the player with a high level of expression, realism and dynamics. This is the only instrument of its kind, designed exclusively by Yamaha.
Sounds for the Modern Piano Player
Beyond its acoustic qualities, the MX88 features an impressive selection of keyboard voices. Choose from authentic re-creations of classic tine and reed electric pianos or retro tonewheel organs with a rotary speaker effect. There are also punchy and percussive Clav sounds when you want to get funky. This wide variety of sounds makes the Yamaha MX88 perfect for the stage, studio or worship service.
Realistic Strings, Guitars, Basses and Drum Kits
Amazing re-creations of orchestral strings, woodwinds, pipe organs, brass and more make the Yamaha MX88 an inspirational tool for orchestrators, educators and producers. For the aspiring producer, the highly expressive and playable acoustic and electric guitars, basses, tonewheel organs and drum kits offer a powerful and professional sonic pallete.
MOTIF Sound Engine
MOTIF Sound Engine Voices consist of up to eight Elements. These Elements can be layered for a thick, fat sound or zoned so a different Element plays in different parts of the keyboard. You can also switch between Elements by velocity for extreme dynamics or randomize Elements for anything from subtle variation to experimental sound.
FM Essential is a FREE 4-Operator FM synthesizer app for iOS. The standard version features 10 Voices, but connecting the Yamaha MX88 Music Synthesizer (via the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter – not included) unlocks 271 FM Voices, from classic 80s to cutting-edge modern EDM. Full voice-editing capabilities are also unlocked. FM Essential also features built-in effects, EQ, drum phrases and a step sequencer for automating your control changes.
Virtual Circuitry Modeling (VCM) re-creates the sound and behavior of vintage effects and high-end studio signal processors by modeling the circuits down to the original analog component level.
128 notes of polyphony ensure dropout-free performance playing live or with full 16-track sequences.
The Yamaha MX88 is more than a great-sounding synthesizer. It can work with iOS applications, DAW software and software synthesizers on Mac and PC.
Building on the same core technologies found in Steinberg’s Cubase advanced music production software, Cubase AI is a special compact version offering all the basic tools for recording, editing and mixing. It offers powerful yet easy-to-use software tools for a wide range of music styles exclusive to customers of selected Steinberg and Yamaha hardware.
The Yamaha MX88 is USB audio and MIDI class-compliant, which allows you to record and playback stereo audio to and from your computer or iOS device. This is perfect for recording the Yamaha MX88 into your DAW and listening to your mixes through speakers or headphones.n However, the Yamaha MX88 does more than connect to your DAW - it's also a dedicated control surface. Use the onboard transport controls with your DAW and interact with plug-in parameters via the control knobs. There are dozens of built-in Remote Control Templates for interacting with popular soft synths and plug-ins and a 16-channel MIDI interface for using the Yamaha MX88 as both a keyboard controller and tone generator.
Specially designed for quick, easy operation, it makes recording, editing and mixing a breeze and places touch-intuitive production tools in your hands to take your creativity to new heights and open up a new world of endless possibilities.
Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer Features
- Dynamic, MOTIF-based sounds
- 88 Graded Hammer Standard keys are heavier in the lower register and lighter in the higher register for real piano feel
- Easy-to-use user interface
- Matte black keytops absorb moisture and remain tactile after extended use without becoming slippery
- Highly portable, with easy-to-carry design
- FM Essential expands your sonic arsenal with iOS FM synthesizer app that includes drum loops, FX, and more
- Layer, zone, cycle, switch, randomize, and control up to 8 elements per voice with Yamaha's powerful MOTIF sound engine
- Jam along with the Rhythm Patterns and Songs
- VCM (Virtual Circuit Modeling) re-creates the sound and behavior of vintage signal processors and FX
- 128-note polyphony for dropout-free live performance or with full 16-track sequences
- Damper Resonance DSP models grand piano sound with dampers off the strings
- Full music production capabilities—with just this instrument!
- Record/play back stereo audio and 16 channels of MIDI with a single USB cable and no external devices
- DAW Remote controls transport, mixer, and software instruments from the MX top panel
- USB-to-device port for connection of USB flash drives for loading and storing data
- 1/8" aux line input for connection of tablets and mobile devices
- Auto power off shuts down after period of inactivity, saving energy
- Integration with Cubase
- USB audio and MIDI Class-Compliant for easy connection to iOS applications
Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer Specifications
- Width: 1320 mm
- Height: 405 mm
- Depth: 168 mm
- Control Interface:
- Number of Keys: 88
- Initial Touch: Yes
- Tone Generator:
- Tone Generator: AWM2
- Maximum Polyphony: 128 Notes
- Multi Timbral Capacity: 16 Parts (Internal)
- Wave: Approx.166 MB (When Converted to 16-Bit Linear Format)
- Voices: Preset: 1,106 Normal Voices + 61 Drum Kits, GM: 128 Normal Voices + 1 Drum Kit, User:128 Normal Voices + 8 Drum Kits
- Performance: User: 128 (16 Parts)
- Effects: Reverb x 9 Types (42 Presets), Chorus x 17 Types (88 presets), Insertion Effect x 48Types (267 Presets) x 4, Master EQ (5 Bands)
- Tempo (BPM): 5 – 300
- Songs: 27 Demo Songs
- Patterns: 208 Patterns
- Arpeggio: 999 Types
- Sequence Format: SMF Format 0 (Playback Only)
- Sequence Software Compatible w/ Remote Control Function: For Windows®: Cubase 8 or Later, SONAR X2 Producer For Mac®: Cubase 8 or Later, Logic Pro X, Digital Performer 9 (Functions to be Controlled Differ Depending on the Software)
- Controllers: Pitch Bend Wheel x 1, Modulation Wheel x 1, Assignable Knob x 4, [DATA] Dial x1
- Display: 3 Digit LED + 20 x 2 Line Character LCD (Backlit)
- Connectors: OUTPUT [L / MONO] / [R] (Standard Phone Jack), [PHONE] (Standard Stereo Phone Jack), [FOOT CONTROLLER], [SUSTAIN], MIDI [IN] / [OUT], USB [TO HOST] (Class Compliant Support)/ [TO DEVICE], [AUX IN], DC IN
- Power Supply: 9 W
Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer Includes
- 1 x Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer
- 1 x AC Adaptor (PA-150B or An Equivalent Recommended by Yamaha)
- 1 x Cubase AI Download Information Guide
- 1 x Owners Manual
- 1 Year Warranty
Yamaha MX88 Synthesizer Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review