The Novation Peak Synthesizer is an eight-voice desktop polyphonic synthesiser with three New Oxford Oscillators for each voice. Sounds warm and rich with filthy, biting overdrive, the Peak has a resonant multi-mode analogue filter for each voice, and three distortion points in an analogue signal chain.
The Novation Peak Synthesizer's design consultant was none other than Chris Huggett, the man behind Bass Station, Supernova, OSCar and many more legendary synths. Peak has its origin in the Bass Station II analogue monosynth. The Novation Peak Synthesizer's oscillators sound completely analogue by being high-quality NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators), but gain the flexibility of the digital domain with 17 digital wavetables. They can also become a linear FM source using either the analogue-sounding NCOs or digital wavetables so are able to cross-modulate in an recursive loop.
The Novation Peak synth has a resonant multi-mode analogue filter for each voice, and three distortion points for each voice pre-filter, post-filter and global in an analogue signal chain. The Novation Peak Synthesizer is capable of receiving polyphonic aftertouch, which puts expression right at your fingertips. Reverb, delay and chorus effects are at one's disposal, and there is also an on-board arpeggiator.
The modulation system puts a 16-slot modulation matrix and 16 direct assignments in the main controls, cleverly arranged for intuitive patch design and sound editing. There are three ADSR envelopes and two LFOs for each voice, and more elaborate movements and secondary via assignments are made just a few menu button presses away. In addition, two animate buttons give live performers instant one-touch transformation of patches.
The Novation Peak Synthesizer connects to modular systems via a CV modulation input, and has MIDI I/O on five-pin DIN ports, so other MIDI gear can be connected. Via USB, the Novation Peak can be plugged into Mac or PC, where unlimited patches can be kept using the Components software.
Novation Peak Synthesizer Features
- Two ways to create waveforms - Analogue-sounding NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) and 17 digital wavetables.
- A colossal amount of distortion - Three distortion points for each voice pre-filter, post-filter and global in an analogue signal chain.
- Control expression - Peak is capable of receiving polyphonic aftertouch, which puts expression right at your fingertips.
- Cross-modulate oscillators - The three New Oxford Oscillators for each voice can become a linear FM source using either the analogue-sounding NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) or digital wavetables. They are also able to cross-modulate in a recursive loop.
- Huge modulation system - 16-slot modulation matrix and 16 direct assignments controlled from the front panel, cleverly arranged for intuitive patch design and sound editing. Three ADSR envelopes and two LFOs for each voice.
- Easily switch modulations - Two animate buttons give live performers instant one-touch transformation of patches.
- Mind-blowing sounds on-board - Reverb, delay and chorus at your disposal, and there's also an arpeggiator.
- Connect to hardware and software - Connect and sync to your music software and MIDI-compatible hardware. CV modulation input used to slot together modular systems.
- Store unlimited sounds - Keep as many patches as you like on your Mac or PC using the Components software.
Novation Peak Synthesizer Specifications
- Product Hardware:
- 42 Control knobs
- 8 35mm Sliders
- 1 Volume knob
- 2 Data encoders
- Rubberised knob caps with spun metal discs
- 30 Function buttons (not lit)
- 16 Function buttons (lit)
- 2 Animate buttons plus hold button
- 90 Indicator LEDs
- OLED display
- Kensington Security Slot
- Power switch
- Power supply connector
- USB socket for system / MIDI comms only (no bus-power)
- MIDI In / Out / Thru
- 2 1/4" jack socket for continuous or switched pedals
- 3.5mm jack socket for CV in
- 1/4" jack sockets for left and right outputs
- 1/4" jack socket for headphone output
- Metal chassis with American walnut wooden end cheeks
- Metal magnetic inset end pieces
- Synth Engine:
- 8 Voice polyphonic (voice modes available unison etc.)
- 5 Voice Modes - Mono, MonoLG, Mono2, Poly, Poly2
- Per Voice:
- 3 Oscillators
- 1 Noise generator
- 1 Ring modulator
- 2 LFOs
- 1 Amp envelope and 2 mod envelopes
- 1 Filter
- Square / pulse
- 17 Wavetables of 5 waveforms per row
- 1 x State variable OTA filter per voice
- 12/24dB slope
- Low-pass / band-pass / high-pass
- Pre-filter overdrive
- Post-filter distortion
- 16 modulation slots per patch
- Each slot has 2 sources to 1 destination
- Mod Sources (17):
- Direct (depth)
- Modulation wheel
- Aftertouch (polyphonic and channel AT)
- Expression pedal 1
- Expression pedal 2
- Keyboard velocity
- LFO1 positive
- LFO1 bi-polar
- LFO2 positive
- LFO2 bi-polar
- Amp envelope
- Mod envelope 1
- Mod envelope 2
- Animate 1
- Animate 2
- CV mod input bi-polar
- Mod Destinations (37):
- Oscillator 1-3 frequency, v-sync level, shape amount and level
- Noise source level
- Ring modulator output level
- Overal synth output level
- Filter drive, distortion, cut-off frequency and resonance
- LFO 1 and 2 frequency
- Amp env / mod env 1 / mod env 2 attack, decay and release
- FM Osc 1 -> osc 2, osc 2 -> osc 3, osc 3 -> osc 1 and noise -> osc 1
- Osc 3 -> filter cutoff frequency
- Noise -> filter cutoff frequency
- Analogue distortion
- Chorus - 3 types
- Delay with 16 types of delay sync, LP and HP damping, slew and stereo
- Reverb - 3 types
- Arpeggiator w/ key latch 33 patterns
- Patch storage - up to 512 on hardware (ships with 256 factory patches)
- All knobs (excl. volume), sliders and most buttons transmit and receive MIDI cc commands for external control and mapping
- Software Compatibility: Ableton Live Lite 9 is included. Peak is a USB-MIDI class compliant device
- Power Requirements: Maximum power consumption 12V DC 1A
- Product Dimensions: (W x D x H) 233mm (9.17") x 464mm (18.27") x 70.5mm (2.78")
Novation Peak Synthesizer Includes
- Novation Peak Synthesizer
- DC Power Supply Unit (PSU)
- USB Cable, A-type to B-type, 1.5 m
- Safety Information Sheet
- Getting Started Guide
- Ableton Live Lite
- Two Years Warranty
Novation Peak Synthesizer Downloads
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I bought this because i wanted a smaller keyboard that wouldn't sacrifice functionality. I never had any problems with the keyboard and overall i thought it was a great buy!