Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer
The Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer is the pure analogue monosynth based on the classic original Bass Station but re-worked for the 21st century. It comes with the enhanced every area to make it even bigger, angrier and more versatile.
The Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer has two tuneable oscillators, a sub-oscillator for enormous bass, plus noise and ring modulation. It also gives you two distinct analogue filter types: the classic multi-mode filter and a new acid filter, for a massive variation in sonic possibilities.
The Novation decided to put a call out to a handful of the Novation Bass Station II artists to have them create some patches for a new soundpack.
Here’s the roster of analogue noodlers who got involved: Nite Jewel, Cian from Super Furry Animals, Jeremy from Everything Everything, Jason Miles, Victor Parris Mitchell, Adam Freedland.
Much More Than Bass
This synth can sound as mellow or aggressive as you want. Seek out sweet spots with the filter mod to make it sing. Crank the distortion and it will growl with pent up anger. Push the resonance to self oscillation to create shrieking leads. The Novation Bass Station II can sound however you feel.
Easy Controls for Complex Design
The Novation put as many controls as possible onto Bass Station II, so you can totally lose yourself in discovering and creating new sounds. Of course, the Novation also laid out all those controls in the clearest and most useful way, to keep sound design as straightforward and fun as possible.
Save and Load Patches
The Novation loaded Bass Station II with 64 diverse patches that showcase its huge sonic variation. The Novation also left 64 slots free, so you can easily save and load your own patches on the unit, or in the free librarian software.
The Novation Bass Station II's pattern-based arpeggiator and step sequencer are a fun and immediate way to find new inspiration. The sequencer lets you record your own notes, ties, rests and rhythms in real time, then store them, recall them and use them with any patch you like. Easily and automatically sync them to your music software or hardware setup, or even add swing to get your groove going.
Connect to Just About Anything
The Novation Bass Station II is fully class compliant, so you can plug into anything via USB and start playing. It also has MIDI I/O on 5 pin din ports, so you can connect your other MIDI gear. You can even connect an external instrument and run it through the Novation Bass Station II's analogue filter and effects.
Producer Series Vol.1 Soundpack
This collection of unique analogue sound patches was created by world class synth producers from the Novation's eclectic artist and producer community.
Whether you’re creating dance, funk, electronica, indie, pop or something totally experimental, these 46 Patches will add true analogue depth to your music. You will need to download and install the librarian to load the patches.
Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer Features
- Create a huge variety of sounds - Two pure analogue, sync-able and tuneable oscillators with four selectable waveforms, plus a third sub-oscillator, noise and ring modulation.
- Enormous bass and shrieking leads - Switch the multi-mode Classic Filter between low, hi and band pass with 12 and 24dB slopes.
- Improved analogue filter stage - A 24dB Acid Filter that is even darker, wetter and smoother than the Classic.
- Turn Jekyll to Hyde - Create crunchy, aggressive sounds with fully analogue distortion, filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive.
- Easily load and save patches - Comes with 64 patches that cover a huge range of styles, but you can create, save, archive and swap 64 of your own too.
- Get instant inspiration - Record notes, ties, rests and rhythms in real time using the step sequencer and arpeggiator, then easily store them, recall them and use them with any patch you like.
- Experiment easily - Get your hands on loads of controls, cleverly arranged for intuitive patch design and sound editing.
- Flexible modulation - Triangle, sawtooth and square LFO waveforms, as well as sample and hold, and two ADSR envelopes for filter, pitch and pulse width modulation.
- Connect to hardware and software - Connect and sync to your music software and MIDI-compatible hardware.
- Player's Keyboard - Full sized 25-note) velocity-sensitive keyboard, with a fast synth-action and aftertouch.
- Store unlimited sounds - Keep as many patches as you like on your Mac or PC using the Librarian Software.
Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer Specifications
- Product Hardware Specs:
- Hardware & Controller Assignment:
- 25 Note synth-action keyboard
- Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate Filter frequency, LFO 1 to Osc pitch and Osc 2 speed
- Pitch wheel
- Modulation wheel can be assigned to LFO 2 to filter frequency, LFO 1 to Osc pitch and Osc 2 pitch
- Octave up/ down buttons
- 64 Factory presets
- 64 Slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
- Master volume dial
- Inputs and Outputs:
- USB MIDI (for connecting & powering Bass Station II via host computer)
- Mono output on 1/4" TRS jack
- Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
- External input on 1/4" TRS jack
- Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TS jack
- MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
- DC power input
- Switch between power off / DC powered / bus powered
- Hardware & Controller Assignment:
- Synth Engine:
- Osc 1
- Osc 2
- Sub Osc (3)
- Noise Generator
- Osc 1 & 2 (Selection Between Waveforms):
- Square/variable pulse width
- Sync 1 & 2
- Octave range
- Pitch bend
- Pitch modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 1
- Pulse width modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 2
- Sub Osc (3) which is tracked to Osc 1 (Select independently between waveforms):
- Narrow pulse
- All modulation and tuning tracked to Osc 1
- Independent octave select
- Osc 1 level
- Osc 2 level
- Sub Osc level
- Noise generator level
- Ring modulation depth
- External signal level
- Filter: Two filter types
- Acid type (diode ladder filter design)
- Classic type (derived from original Bass Station)
- Filter frequency to Mod Envelope depth
- Filter frequency to LFO 2 depth
- Select 'Classic' Filter Between:
- Low pass
- Band pass
- High pass
- 12dB slope
- 24dB slope
- Envelopes: Two ADSR Envelopes (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release)
- Amp Envelope
- Mod Envelope
- Combined control of both Envelopes
- Select Triggering Mode Between:
- Single trigger (holds envelope state when new note is played)
- Multi trigger (re-triggers with every new note played)
- Autoglide (engages portamento)
- There is also a VCA limiter
- LFO: Two LFOs Each Selectable Between:
- Sample and hold
- Both LFOs independently adjustable between rate and delay time
- Key sync LFO 1 & 2
- LFO slew on LFO 1& 2 (low pass filter on the LFO waveform)
- Distortion send
- Oscillator filter mod amount (FM effect created by Oscillator 2 modulating filter freq)
- Up to 32 different patterns
- Select between 1-4 octave range
- Swing function
- Select Direction:
- Up / down 1
- Up / down 2
- As played
- Latch (hold the arpeggiator)
- Step Sequencer:
- Up to four sequences
- Assign one of 32 preset rhythms or create your own insert rests or legato (slide)
- Sequencer re-trigger function
- Adjust glide time
- Single trigger or re-trigger modes
- Integrate into step sequencer and arpeggiator
- OS Compatibility:
- Mac OS 10.12 Sierra
- Mac OSX 10.11
- Mac OSX 10.10
- Mac OSX 10.9
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Power Requirements:
- USB bus powered
- 9V DC power supply (included)
- Maximum power consumption 9V DC 300mA
- Product Dimensions: (W x D x H) 457mm (18”) x 273mm (10.75”) x 76mm (3”)
Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer Includes
- Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer
- DC Power Supply Unit (PSU)
- USB Cable
- Registration Card, also providing on-line access to:
- Loopmasters Sample Content
- Ableton Live Lite
- User Manual
- 2 Years Warranty
Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer Downloads
- Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer Librarian User Guide (PDF)
- Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer User Guide (PDF)
- Novation Bass Station II Synthesizer Patches Sheet (PDF)
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
While I'm not a fan of shared controls for envelopes, that is pretty much my only grip with this synth. Sounds absolutely beastly and is surprisingly flexible for a monosynth. I love the different filter textures, and this is my go-to synth for big, fat analog basses.