Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console
The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console is a modern twist on the classic analogue studio console. It's designed for tracking or mixing engineers who require an analogue console within a DAW centric studio, but don't want or need the integrated DAW control and analogue level automation other SSL console products have made the new hybrid studio standard.
The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console differs from the X1 and X2 versions. It occupies the middle ground of the available configurations. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 ships with 8 x SSL E Series EQs, and a FREE 500 series Solid State Logic 500 Buss Compressor at the heart of the mix buss. The architecture of the Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 is a 44 input SuperAnalogue mixer, with 8 built-in VHD Microphone Preamplifiers, 4 stereo buses and a "penthouse" of 18 x 500-series slots. This is the perfect mixer to start with if you plan to get started with 8 full channels of preamps and eqs, and desire to fill up the remaining 8 slots over time.
The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console is in many ways a traditional 24 into 8 analogue console but it packs in an incredible collection of features. It has 20 channel strips: 16 dual input mono (switchable between main input or DAW return) and 4 stereo channels. The first eight channels have VHD mic pre's. There is an 18 slot 500 format rack built in that can be used for processing or mic pre's. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 ships with a legendary SSL Stereo Bus Compressor module in slots 17 & 18 (hard wired to Mix A). The rack has its own dedicated high spec' power supply. There are four main Mix Busses (A, B, C, D) with buses B, C and D able to be summed into Mix A. The Busses and channels can access the 500 rack and each have a separate insert point for processing. There are two mono aux sends and two stereo return inputs. Direct outputs on every channel, stereo return and mix bus enable convenient stem printing. Each channel has a Cue Stereo Bus section (with Pan and Volume) used to provide one of the headphone mixes while tracking. At mixdown the mono channel DAW return signals can be routed to the CUE ST bus and then summed into Mix A, so there are 16 main faders + 16 Cue ST inputs + 4 Stereo channels providing 40 summing inputs (using the stereo returns and insert Sum functions you can squeeze in over 50 summing inputs). There is also a fully-featured monitoring section with bass management (3 sets of speakers + subwoofer), Foldback A and B with individual talkbacks for headphone mixes and a built in Listen Mic input + classic compressor circuit, with its own direct output.
The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console features 8 of SSL's patented Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD) microphone preamps, built-in to the first 8 channels of the console. The VHD pre can deliver clean SSL grade recordings but also features the VHD circuit used in the Solid State Logic's acclaimed Duality console which can be switched into the signal path. The Variable Harmonic Drive circuit uses a 100% analogue signal path to generate rich harmonic distortion. As you increase the input gain, the Variable Harmonic Drive circuit introduces either 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion or a blend of the two to your source material. At lower gain settings it adds gentle valve-style warmth or a touch of transistor edge. As the gain is increased the more extreme the distortion becomes until at high gain settings it delivers fierce trashy transistoresque grunge. VHD pre's give the user the ultimate versatility from a studio grade preamp. Whether it's ultra-clean traditional SSL, subtle warming or totally trashy transistor distortion, VHD will change your expectations of what a preamplifier should deliver.
Channel Strips - Classic SSL Channel Versatility
The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 may be compact but it features all of the classic SSL channel strip features which make Solid State Logic's consoles so versatile and accommodate such a wide range of production requirements. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 has 20 channel strips. The first 16 channel strips are dual input mono, meaning they can be switched between a main input and a DAW return whilst tracking. The Remaining four strips are stereo channels. Channels 1-8 have VHD mic pre's. Channels 9-16 are line level but can use the 500 rack for mic inputs if desired. Each mono channel can access a corresponding 500 format module and also has a separate traditional Insert point. The four stereo channels cannot access the 500 rack and do not have Insert points. All of the channels have an additional Direct Output to facilitate printing processed material to your DAW and this can be switched between pre-/post fader. Each channel has a +/-20dB Trim control which can be used in a couple of ways: for VHD channels in can be used to control the output level from the VHD into the channel when using heavy distortion, when used with a 500 rack module it can be used to drive the level into the inserted module. There is a phase invert switch. Beside the Trim control is a tri-colour signal indicator LED. The metering on Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 can be switched between +24dBu and +18dBu Scale to give the following LED settings.
500 Format Slots - A 500 Format Rack, Built into Your SSL Console
For many of Solid State Logic users combining different tonal characteristics from a range of analogue equipment by a selection of manufacturers is an integral part of their sound. The popular modular '500 format' facilitates the use of a wide range of analogue processing modules from different manufacturers. So, built into the penthouse of Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 is an 18-slot 500 format rack. This rack can be loaded with any combination of SSL or third-party 500 format modules, as desired by the user. The in-built 500 rack offers the user the opportunity to add their own favourite sonic flavours to their SSL console, whilst keeping it all within arm's reach. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 rack has its own dedicated power supply, separate to the power supply for the rest of the console. Unlike many stand-alone 500 format racks the Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 rack has a very highly specified power supply which should deliver sufficient power to accommodate your selection of modules. SSL cannot guarantee compatibility but has tested this rack with over thirty different modules.
Mix Busses - The Magic of An SSL Console x 4
Designed by the team behind Duality and AWS, the Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 delivers the kind of stunning audio quality only associated with SuperAnalogueTM SSL consoles. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 provides the sought after separation, clarity and punch behind thousands of hit records made on SSL consoles. Everyone agrees that the sonic magic of an SSL console happens at the Mix Bus but one bus is not always enough! Many high-profile mixers use multiple mix busses to create parallels or sub-groups of instruments, helping them to compress and manipulate sounds in unique ways. These 'tricks of the trade' are some of the most effective to help take a mix from 'good' to 'great'.
Monitoring - Comprehensive Monitoring and Communication
The monitoring system of any professional music environment is one of the most important parts. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 offers a pristine, SuperAnalogueTM monitoring section, packed with useful features. There are three sets of stereo monitor connections (Main, Mini 1 and Mini 2) plus a sub connection. These are controlled by a front panel button matrix with individual Level controls. The sub connection has bass management: When the SUB is engaged, the bass management sums left and right signals through a 3rd order low-pass (high cut) filter at 80Hz and sends the sum out of the Sub monitor output. Also, 2nd order high-pass (low cut) filters are inserted into the selected left and right monitor outputs. The bass management on Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 is intelligent. It will remember if the SUB button is on or off for each speaker set. The Monitor Source can be selected from; Mix A, a separate External rear panel input or the front panel iJack input and a Mono button folds down these monitor sources to mono if desired. A Monitor SUM button allows any combination of these to be summed and monitored. There is a large Monitor Level control and an associated DIM button (with DIM Level control), CUT button and an AFL Level control.
There are good reasons why so many leading engineers and producers still choose to mix on a console, some of them because of sonic aspects and others because of workflow choices. Mixing out-of-the-box gives a wider sound-stage and a distinct colouration that no plug-in can equal. It is easier to get a mix together quickly with a console and that it feels more intuitive than a mouse. The Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 gives a full-featured console workflow, but with a project-studio friendly footprint under 1m2. With 2 insert points on each mono channel you can mix and match rackmount and 500-series processors to make the Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 the hub of your hybrid studio world! Connect your Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 to a patchbay for ultimate flexibility, and use the direct outs from every channel and Bus to print files back into your DAW for easy mix revisions.
Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console Features
- 20 + 1 Fader, over 40 input SuperAnalogueTM SSL console
- 8-Built in Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD) preamps
- 16 Dual input mono channels (switchable between main input or DAW return)
- The legendary Stereo Bus Compressor, with new high-pass filter sidechain
- 4 Stereo Mix Busses with their own insert points and access to the 500 rack
- 18-Slot 500 format rack built-in, accessible from channels or mix busses
- In addition to a 500 rack insert each mono channel also has a standard insert point
- Direct outputs on every channel, stereo return and mix bus for stem printing
- One stereo and 2 mono aux sends. Two dedicated stereo return inputs
- 4 Stereo channels (switchable to mono for tracking)
- Fully-featured monitoring section with bass management
- Foldback A and B with individual talkbacks for headphone mixes
- Built in Listen Mic input + classic compressor circuit, with its own direct output
- AFL and Solo-In-Place solo modes, with Solo Clear and Solo Safe (Protect) modes
- High quality internal PSU
- Balanced D-Sub rear panel inputs/outputs & Front panel headphones & iJack sockets
- VHD Pre's
- Hi Z switch toggles impedance between 1.6K and 10K for different microphones
- Switched VHD circuit - introduces either 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion or a blend of the two for enormous tonal versatility
- 48V phantom power
- 20dB Pad on input for line level signals
- 8 Channels of high-quality, SSL microphone preamps with 75 dB of gain
- Channel Strips
- 16 Dual-input mono line inputs channels with 100mm faders
- 4 Stereo line-input channels with 100mm stereo faders
- Tri-colour signal level indication LED on every channel
- Phase invert switch
- CUE Stereo section, switchable between pre and post fader on each channel
- Direct Channel Output switchable between pre and post fader on each channel
- '500' Button can insert associated 500 slot into the channel
- Regular Insert Point (send always active) - 'INS' button
- Aux 1 and Aux 2 globally switchable pre and post fader
- Pan/Balance Control
- Mix Bus A, B, C, D routing buttons
- SOLO and CUT buttons. Solo system can work in solo-in-place (SIP)
- 'ALT' button sources second channel input to the Stereo Cue Bus, providing 16 extra summing inputs on mixdown
- 500 Format Slots
- Slots 17-18 pre-loaded with the SSL Bus Compressor (featuring sidechain HPF)
- Stereo-link switch available for odd/even pairs (for modules that comply with the pin 6 link specification)
- 18-Slot 500 format rack in a 16+2 configuration
- High quality internal PSU, with over specified power supply
- +/- 16.5V DC
- +48V DC
- Mix Busses
- 4 Stereo mix busses (A, B, C and D)
- Mix A has 100mm fader, stereo insert point, access to the G-Comp bus compressor and access to 500 rack slots 9-10
- Mix B, C and D - Can be routed to Mix A, with independent level controls, stereo insert points, access to 500 rack slots 11-16
- Bass Management with filtering - Connect a subwoofer to extend your low-end monitoring.
- Intelligent bass management automatically switches in or out with each speaker set.
- 3-Way speaker selector - Connect 3 sets of speakers up to XL-Desk
- Large blue monitor level pot with variable DIM and CUT
- Rear panel external input and front panel iJack input to Monitor section
- 2 Solo modes for channels - Solo-in-place (SIP) or After-fader-listen (AFL)
- Monitor bus Mono foldown and monitor source sum
- Front panel headphone jack
- 2 Foldbacks - individual talkback to two separate headphone mixes
- High-quality in-built talkback microphone mounted into the console's front surface.
- Listen Mic input and compressor circuit - allows a dedicated 'listen' microphone to be set up in the live room, so that the engineer can easily hear what the performers between takes. In addition, a discrete Listen Mic output is available for recording 'that' legendary heavily compressed sound!
Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console Includes
- Solid State Logic XL-Desk X3 Analog Studio Console
- 1 x Power Cable
- 4 x D-Sub – D-Sub Cables
- Installation Guide
- Owners Manual
- 1 Year Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review