Buzz Audio DBC-M Compressor
The Buzz Audio DBC-M Compressor (like their DBC-20) draws inspiration from the Neve 2254, bringing a vintage diode bridge compressor, giving you some real vibe - to bring to the mastering world.
The DBC-M is a Mastering version of the popular Buzz Audio DBC-20 diode bridge compressor and offers fully switched control for repeatable settings. The diode bridge gain reduction element coupled with our innovative side chain design delivers a vintage vibe like no other. The DBC-M audio path uses our Class A discrete amplifier designs in a balanced configuration from input to output with a radio steel laminated transformer to couple into the diode bridge element. This overall combination produces a desirable compression character that can best be described as tight, colourful and rich with harmonics. In the style of compressors from the 60's, the DBC-M incorporates a automatic ratio whereby the compression ratio is progressively increased with deepening gain reduction. This feature allows for the control of very dynamic signals in a seamless fashion and is also a very desirable characteristic when used on complex percussive material.
Buzz Audio DBC-M Compressor Features
- The LED meter now has improved resolution with 0.25dB steps up to -2dB gain reduction, then 0.5dB steps up to -6dB, (not shown in photo).
- The GAIN control now has smaller steps, 0.25dB increments up to +4dB gain, then 0.5dB up to +8dB, (not shown in photo).
- The DBC-M is available with a grey or black faceplate.
- GAIN - 24 position Elma switch that adds gain at the output to correct for lost level with a range of 0-8dB in small steps.
- COMPRESSION - 24 position Elma switch that sets the amount of compression, increasing gain reduction with clock wise rotation.
- ATTACK - rotary switch with 6 settings, FAST (less than 0.5mS)-5mS-10mS-15mS-25mS-50mS.
- RELEASE - rotary switch with 6 recovery time settings, 50mS-100mS-200mS-400mS-600mS and AUTO.
- HARD/SOFT - adds dynamics in soft mode for times when very light compression is required.
- FLAT/BASS - reduces compression sensitivity at low frequencies for more bass punch, approx 8dB at 100Hz.
- BYPASS/ENGAGE - hard wire unit bypass to compare compressed and uncompressed signals.
- LED METER - gain reduction is displayed in 0.25dB steps up to -2dB and 0.5dB steps to -6dB.
- LINK A/B - links the side chains to prevent image shift when used on stereo material where there may be heavy channel to channel volume differences.
- There is also a handy power ON/OFF switch on the front panel where it should be!
Buzz Audio DBC-M Compressor Specifications
- Maximum Input Level; +27dBu
- Maximum Output Level; +27dBu
- Noise; -80dBu (measured A Weighted with 10dB gain applied)
- Gain; variable -2.0 to +10dB in 0.5 dB steps
- Frequency Response; 6Hz to 400kHz measured no gain reduction
- Harmonic Distortion; At +10dBu input level, no gain reduction; 0.28% @ 100Hz, 0.25% @ 1kHz, 0.15% @ 10kHz
- Harmonic Distortion; With 10dB gain reduction (Release set to 400mS); 1.5% @ 100Hz, 0.5% @ 1kHz, 0.5% @ 10kHz
- Standard Operating Level; +4dBu
- Size; 1 Unit 19" rack mount, (482Wx44Hx250D)
- Power requirements; 230V/115V selectable, IEC detachable power cable.
- Specifications are typical of a production unit and are subject to change without notice.
- 0dBu reference = 0.775 volts RMS.
Buzz Audio DBC-M Compressor Includes
- DBC-M Compressor
- Power Cable
- 1 Year Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review