The Buzz Audio SOC-M Compressor is optimized for analogue mastering featuring a mid side matrix and a balanced side chain insert point.
The Buzz Audio SOC-M Compressor is a mastering version of their SOC-20 optical compressor. The SOC-M mastering version replaces the DRIVE and GAIN pots of the SOC-20 with stepped Elma attenuators for repeatability. We have also adjusted the RATIO's to suit mastering tasks and all the ratio's feature our famous "soft knee" characteristic. The SOC-M signal path utilizes our Class A discrete BE41 transistor amplifiers powered by a special low impedance power supply for vibrant sonic detail. As standard, the SOC-M is fitted with a Lundahl LL1517 output transformer providing a nice sheen to the sound. The unit is also available with a transformerless output option. But not only is the Buzz Audio SOC-M a stereo compressor, it also incorporates a Mid-Side (or sum and difference) encoder and decoder which is a very powerful mastering tool. When set to MS mode, signals that are common to left and right are processed by Channel A and the left to right difference signals by Channel B. Check out the SOC-20 audio samples to see how powerful this process can be. In addition, when set to MS mode, the mid and side signals are available as balanced outputs on the rear panel insert send XLR's
Buzz Audio SOC-M Compressor Features
- DRIVE - 24 position Elma switch that sets the amount of compression.
- OUTPUT dB - 24 position Elma switch that adds gain at the output to correct for lost level.
- ATTACK - rotary switch with 1mS, 10mS, 25mS, 50mS selections and the excellent AUTO mode.
- RATIO - rotary switch with 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 6:1 and 10:1 selections - all soft knee characteristic.
- RELEASE - rotary switch with 100mS, 200mS, 400mS, 800mS 1600mS selections and our superb AUTO mode.
- BYPASS - hard wire unit bypass to compare compressed and uncompressed signals.
- METER - switches the VU meter between input/output levels or amount of compression.
- S/C HPF - inserts a 170Hz high pass filter into the side chain for added bass punch.
- S/C INSERT - engage the external side chain insert point and monitor the side chain signal.
- LINK A/B - joins the side chain of each channel for stereo operation with "soft" tracking.
- There is also a locking toggle to select STEREO or MID-SIDE mode and a handy POWER on/off switch.
- On the rear panel for each channel, there are 1 set of female/male XLR connectors for the main input and output, plus another male/female XLRs for the side chain insert send and return.
Buzz Audio SOC-M Compressor Specifications
- Maximum Line Input Level; +32dBu
- Maximum Line Output Level; +27dBu
- Maximum Input/Output Level Side Chain Insert; +22dBu
- Noise; -95dBu Stereo Mode, -90dBu M/S Mode (measured with no make up gain and A Weighted).
- Gain; variable from 0dB to +15dB
- Frequency Response (transformer output version); 3Hz to 120kHz measured with +10dB gain and no gain reduction.
- Harmonic Distortion; No gain reduction 0.08% @ 100Hz, 0.025% @ 1kHz, 0.02% @ 10kHz, 0.05% @ 100kHz
- Harmonic Distortion; With 20dB gain reduction (Attack AUTO, Release 16) 0.1% @ 100Hz, 0.06% @ 1kHz, 0.04% @ 10kHz
- Harmonic Distortion; With 20dB gain reduction (Attack AUTO, Release AUTO) 2% @ 100Hz
- Standard Operating Level; +4dBu = 0 VU meter display.
- Size 2 Unit 19" rack mount, (482Wx88Hx300D).
- Power requirements; 230V/115V selectable, IEC detachable power cable.
- Shipping weight; 8kgs
Buzz Audio SOC-M Compressor Includes
- SOC-M Compressor
- Power Cable
- 1 Year Warranty