The Buzz Audio DBC-20 Compressor provides that vintage taste of the past with this unique transformer coupled diode bridge compressor design, that is oozing with color and rich harmonics!
While the Buzz Audio DBC-20 Compressor is not a copy of the Neve 2254 - but it is the inspiration for the design. The audio path features our own Class A discrete BE41 amplifiers in a balanced configuration throughout, and for extra colour, we have a custom "radio steel" laminated transformer coupling into the diode bridge. This combination produces a vintage character that can best be described as tight, colourful and rich with harmonics! Buzz's unique side chain design re-creates the style of compressors from the 60's (think Fairchild) whereby the compression ratio is progressively increased with deepening gain reduction. So as the input signal increases past threshold, the ratio will vary from 1:1 right up to 15:1. This feature allows for the control of very dynamic signals (such as vocals) in a seamless fashion and is also a very desirable characteristic when used on complex percussive material such as the drum buss and drum loops. On the mix buss the DBC-20 adds perfect analog colour to "in the box" mixes.
Buzz Audio DBC-20 Compressor Features
- GAIN - variable pot that adds gain at the output to correct for lost level with 15dB range.
- COMPRESSION - variable pot that sets the amount of compression.
- ATTACK - rotary switch with 6 settings, FAST (less than 0.5mS)-5mS-10mS-15mS-25mS-50mS.
- RELEASE - rotary switch with 6 recovery time settings, 50mS-100mS-200mS-400mS-600mS and AUTO.
- HARD/SOFT - adds dynamics in soft mode for times when very light compression is required.
- FLAT/BASS - reduces compression sensitivity at low frequencies for more bass punch, approx 8dB at 100Hz.
- BYPASS/ENGAGE - hard wire unit bypass to compare compressed and uncompressed signals.
- There is also a handy power ON/OFF switch and the LINK A/B which provides for stereo tracking to prevent image shift when used on the mix buss.
Buzz Audio DBC-20 Compressor Specifications
- Maximum Input Level; +27dBu
- Maximum Output Level; +27dBu
- Noise; -80dBu (measured A Weighted with 10dB gain applied)
- Gain; variable 0dB to +15dB
- Frequency Response; 6Hz to 400kHz measured no gain reduction
- Harmonic Distortion; At +10dBu input level, no gain reduction; 0.28% @ 100Hz, 0.25% @ 1kHz, 0.15% @ 10kHz
- Harmonic Distortion; With 10dB gain reduction (Release set to 400mS); 1.5% @ 100Hz, 0.5% @ 1kHz, 0.5% @ 10kHz
- Standard Operating Level; +4dBu
- Size; 1 Unit 19" rack mount, (482Wx44Hx250D)
- Power requirements; 230V/115V selectable, IEC detachable power cable.
- Specifications are typical of a production unit and are subject to change without notice.
- 0dBu reference = 0.775 volts RMS.
Buzz Audio DBC-20 Compressor Includes
- DBC-20 Compressor
- Power Cable
- 1 Year Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review