AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone
The AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone is the most versatile microphone for vocals and instruments in studio and on stage. It offers a choice of nine polar patterns for the perfect sonic capture for every application.
The AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone is a legendary mic since 1971. A peak hold LED displays even the shortest overload peaks. For live sound applications and permanent installations, all controls can easily be disabled for trouble-free use. The C414 XLS maintains the sonic character of the legendary C414 B-ULS, the most popular AKG C414 version since 1971. Engineered for highest linearity and neutral sound, it has been the most versatile large-diaphragm microphone for decades.
AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone Features
- Engineered for highest linearity and neutral sound for beautifully detailed recording of vocals and any acoustic instrument
- Nine selectable polar patterns for the perfect setting for every application
- Three attenuation levels (-6/-12/-18dB) for close-up recording or high-output sources of up to 158dB SPL
- Three different switchable bass-cut filters to reduce wind noise, subsonic noise or proximity effect
- Overload warning with audio peak hold LED to detect shortest audio peaks
AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone Specifications
- Microphone Type: Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Omni, Wide Cardioid, Cardioid, Hypercardioid, Figure-8 and 4 Intermediate Settings
- Diaphragm Size: 1" (25.4mm)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
- Max SPL: 140dB SPL (0.5% THD); 158dB SPL w/18dB Pad
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 88dB (A-Weighted)
- Self Noise: 6dB (A-Weighted)
- Low Cut Filter: 40Hz and 80Hz, -12dB/Octave; 160Hz, -6dB/Octave
- Pads: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB
- Color: Dark Grey/Silver
- Connector: XLR
- Weight: .66 lb.
AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone Includes
- 1 x AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone
- 1 x H85 Universal Shock Mount
- 1 x Metal Carrying Case
- 1 x PF80 Pop Filter
- 1 x W414 Windscreen C414
- 3 Year Warranty
AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone Downloads
- AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone Owners Manual (PDF)
- AKG C414 XLS Multi-Pattern Microphone Spec Sheet (PDF)
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I have used this microphone to record everything from vocals and acoustic guitar in the studio, to the use as an audience mic for live event production for the record deck. It has never fail me. It sounds great and is rock solid for the road.
I wish the shock-mount didn't break when you breathe on it. I have had three break when the stand has fallen over after being bumped. It was on carpet AKG... It's also amazing the model number coincides with the replacement price. H85=$85
While I hardly ever use the XLS for solo vocals (I am not fond of the XLII for solo vocals either and there are better choices at this price point) the XLS works on pretty much everything else. Choirs, room mics, guitars, brass, toms, snares, drum overheads, piano, solo acoustic instruments, instrument sections, etc - anything goes. While not cheap, with the polar patterns, pads, and roll offs, you would be hard pressed to find another mic that does so much. I guess the best way to say it is while it may not often be the "perfect" mic for a given source, it will ALWAYS be a good to great mic on pretty much everything.
And one other comment on price - you would need 2,3,4 pairs of different mics to cover all the ground of the XLS. In this context, if you don't have a huge mic locker already and don't have an unlimited budget, the cost for a pair of these doesn't seem quite so high. A must have for any pro studio.