Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier
The Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier is no reissue - it is the classic Teletronix LA-2A! True to the original design, UA's famed tube-amplified T4 electro-optical compressor is unmatched in performance and sound. It is the classic Cadillac of sound. Accept no copy!
For over 50 years the Teletronix LA-2A has been revered for its smooth, natural, musical compression. WIth its unique tube-driven electro-optical attenuator system that allows instantaneous gain reduction with no increase in harmonic distortion, the LA-2A massages signals like no other compressor ever made.
- Dial-in legendary optical tube compression textures for vocals, bass, drums, and more
- Easily add iconic warmth and tube limiting with simple, easy-to-use controls
- Record your tracks through vintage UA, "handmade in the USA," circuits
- Track and mix with a piece of audio recording history
The Teletronix Story
Teletronix founder Jim Lawrence first used photocells for controlling audio gain in the early 1960s. His ingenious optical compression design was a technological breakthrough, far surpassing the stability and transparency of earlier circuits. Universal Audio founder M.T. ”Bill” Putnam later purchased this patented technology, continuing to manufacture the LA-2A for years to come.
The Real Deal
Universal Audio’s Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier reissue provides the performance characteristics of the iconic original. With painstaking care, every new LA-2A unit is point-to-point handwired at Universal Audio's Custom Shop in Santa Cruz, California, with every component carefully evaluated for authenticity. As a result, today’s LA-2A will bring the same legendary compression characteristics of the original to all of your recordings. Demand the original.
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Features
- True to the original in design, manufacturing and performance
- Lag free, distortion free optical attenuator system
- Distortion less than 0.5% THD
- 0 to 40 dB gain limiting
- Balanced stereo interconnection
- Frequency response 1 dB, 30 to 15,000 cps
- Output level of 10 dBm and 40 dB gain
- Low noise – less than 70 dB below ±10 dBm output
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Specifications
- Input Impedance: 50, 150, 250, 600 ohms
- Output Load Impedance: 50, 150, 250, 600 ohms
- External Connections: Jones Barrier terminals and XLR connectors
- Frequency Response: +0/-1 dB 30 Hz to 15kHz
- Gain: 40 dB ±1dB
- Input Level: +16 dB maximum
- Output Level: +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum
- Distortion: Less than 0.5% THD (0.25% typical) at ±10 dBm
- Noise: 70 dB below +10 dBm output level
- Attack Time: 10 milliseconds
- Release Time: 0.06 seconds for 50% release; 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release
- Meter: dB gain reduction and dB output
- Power Requirements: 35 watts, 120/240 volts, 50/60 Hz
- Maximum operating temperature: 160°F
- Dimensions: 19" Rackmount chassis, 3U
- Weight: 13 lbs.
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Includes
- LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier
- IEC Power Cable
- Manual & Literature
- 1 Year Warranty
What We Think
The Universal Audio LA-2A is indisputable king of vocal compressor/limiters because of how it just does everything it is supposed to do in reeling in the dynamic range of a vocal. It never sucks the life out of the vocal to accomplish the end result, which also makes it a regular treatment for bass guitars and select electric guitar tracks. The now cliche' terms "fat" and "warm" seem to have been invented solely to describe the character of this legendary piece. Between the LA-2A and UA's 1176LN, I really cannot think of any other gear more indispensable to achieving great sound - period. Of course you can make records without Universal Audio equipment... but why on Earth would you ever want to?
4 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Super transparent. Vocals and bass sound SO good through this thing.
Needless to say, one of the best opto compressors of all time. It makes sound silky, sweet and come alive, and I prefer this gear as a limiter rather than a compressor.
What is there to say? I'm just another testament to this tried and true compressor/limiter. Throw on vocals and bass and you cannot go wrong. Smooth, silky, perfect.
This limiter/compressor puts a silky smooth sheen on vocals like no other! If you want to emphasize the breath on vocals like on Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone", for example, this device will do that. I haven't used it for bass yet, but I hear it works great for that, too.