Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier
Universal Audio's Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier is no reissue - it IS the classic Teletronix LA-2A! True to the original design, UAs famed tube-amplified T4 electro-optical compressor is unmatched in performance and sound. It is the classic Cadillac of sound. Get in...
Audio professionals passionate about their compressors revere the LA-2A. The original was immediately acknowledged for its natural compression characteristics. A unique electro-optical attenuator system allows instantaneous gain reduction with no increase in harmonic distortion - an accomplishment at the time, still appreciated today.
Universal Audio has ushered the rebirth of the Teletronix LA-2A, a Universal Audio Classics product. Painstaking care has been taken to ensure that every new LA-2A provides the performance and characteristics of the original. Each unit is hand built, each component carefully evaluated for authenticity. No expense has been spared to guarantee that this LA-2A will bring that classic sound to your recording. Demand the original. Accept no copy.
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Features
- True to the original in design, manufacturing and performance
- Lag free, distortion free optical attenuator system
- Distortion less than 0.5% THD
- 0 to 40 dB gain limiting
- Balanced stereo interconnection
- Frequency response 1 dB, 30 to 15,000 cps
- Output level of 10 dBm and 40 dB gain
- Low noise less than 70 dB below ±10 dBm output
- Hand-built in USA; backed by 1-Year limited warranty
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Specifications
- Input Impedance: 50, 150, 250, 600 ohms
- Output Load Impedance: 50, 150, 250, 600 ohms
- External Connections: Jones Barrier terminals and XLR connectors
- Frequency Response: +0/-1 dB 30 Hz to 15kHz
- Gain: 40 dB ±1dB
- Input Level: +16 dB maximum
- Output Level: +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum
- Distortion: Less than 0.5% THD (0.25% typical) at ±10 dBm
- Noise: 70 dB below +10 dBm output level
- Attack Time: 10 milliseconds
- Release Time: 0.06 seconds for 50% release; 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release
- Meter: dB gain reduction and dB output
- Power Requirements: 35 watts, 120/240 volts, 50/60 Hz
- Maximum operating temperature: 160°F
- Dimensions: 19" Rackmount chassis, 3U
- Weight: 13 lbs.
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Includes
- Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier
- IEC Power Cable
- Manual & Literature
- One Year Warranty - Parts & Labor
Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier Downloads
- Universal Audio LA-2A Classic Leveling Amplifier User Guide / Owners Manual (PDF)
- Universal Audio LA-2A: Replacing Tubes
What We Think
The LA-2A is indisputable king of vocal compressor/limiters because of how it just does everything it is supposed to do in reeling in the dynamic range of a vocal. It never sucks the life out of the vocal to accomplish the end result, which also makes it a regular treatment for bass guitars and select electric guitar tracks. The now cliche' terms "fat" and "warm" seem to have been invented solely to describe the character of this legendary piece. Between the LA-2A and UA's 1176LN, I really cannot think of any other gear more indispensable to achieving great sound - period. Of course you can make records without Universal Audio equipment... but why on Earth would you ever want to?
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
What is there to say? I'm just another testament to this tried and true compressor/limiter. Throw on vocals and bass and you cannot go wrong. Smooth, silky, perfect.
This limiter/compressor puts a silky smooth sheen on vocals like no other! If you want to emphasize the breath on vocals like on Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone", for example, this device will do that. I haven't used it for bass yet, but I hear it works great for that, too.