Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip
The Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip combines a hand-built in the USA, all-tube, vintage mic preamp design - heard on classic albums by Coldplay, The Beach Boys, and Van Halen - with authentic Teletronix T4 opto-compression circuitry.
This classic channel strip design, with its warm preamp tone and smooth, natural-sounding compression, is updated with modern, user-requested features like true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output, and an auto-switching power supply.
- Record through the all-tube mic preamp derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Shape your tones further with High and Low frequency shelving tube EQ
- Compress signals with authentic Teletronix T4 opto-compression tube circuitry
- Record your tracks through vintage UA, "handmade in the USA," circuits
The Legendary 610 Preamp
The LA-610 MkII is based on the legendary console modules developed by Bill Putnam in the 60's. Noted for their musical character and warmth, innumerous classics by artists ranging from Frank Sinatra to Coldplay, Van Halen to Pet Sounds, have been recorded using the 610 preamp. The LA-610 MkII will impart the same silky, vintage warmth of the original console’s mic amp design to your sources.
Toneful Tube Compression
The LA-610 Mk II’s T4 tube compressor provides the same ultra-warm limiting that has made the Teletronix LA-2A the king of fat opto compression. The electro-optical detector, or "T4 cell,” is the heart and soul of the Teletronix LA-2A. Its photo resistors are the crucial circuit components, giving the compressor its signature warmth, making it a “go-to” for tracking vocals, bass, or acoustic guitars. Taken together, it’s impossible to get a bad sound out of the LA-610 MkII’s legendary preamp and compression circuits.
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip Features
- All-tube mic preamp design derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Authentic Teletronix LA-2A-style T4 opto-compressor section
- MkII exclusive features include: true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output, and auto-switching power supply
- Mic pre with Gain and Level controls, variable impedance switching, and instrument DI for recording tone “color”
- High and Low frequency shelving EQ
- Complete vintage channel strip at groundbreaking price within project studio reach
- UA build quality and heritage, audiophile components, hand-assembled in the USA
- Backed by 1-Year limited warranty
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip Specifications
- Microphone Input Impedance: Selectable, 500 Ohm or 2k Ohm
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 20k Ohm
- Hi-Z Input Impedance: Selectable, 2.2M Ohm or 4 k Ohm
- Maximum Microphone Input Level: -8 dBu (2k input impedance and 15dB Pad in)
- Maximum Output Level: 80 dB
- Recommended Minimum Load: 600 Ohm
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0.5 dB
- Maximum Gain: 40 dB (line), +77dB (mic)
- Noise Floor: -72 dBu, 20 Hz to 20 kHz (line in, unity gain)
- Compressor Ratio: 3:1, soft knee, program dependent
- Limiter Ratio: Infinity: 1, soft knee, program dependent
- Attack Time: 10 ms, program dependent
- Release Time: Dual stage: 60 ms for 1st release, then 1 - 15 sec.
- Tube Complement: (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7, (1) EL84
- Power Requirements: 100V / 120V / 240V
- Power Consumption: 30 Watts
- Power Connector: Detachable IEC power cable
- Dimensions: 19" W x 3.5" H x 12.25" D (two rack spaces)
- Weight: 12 lbs.
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip Includes
- LA-610 MKII Channel Strip
- Power Cable
- 1 Year Warranty
What We Think
Without a doubt, the Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip is one of the best possible deals in channel strips available. Seriously, what's not to like? You get THE quintessential tube microphone preamplifier, the 610, combined with a special design tube-opto limiting amplifier that delivers performance in a fashion reminiscent of the classic LA-2A - though a bit more aggressive in it's character. If you are looking for a good vocal channel strip that has some good old fashioned "non-hokey", classic American tube sound, and supremely musical character, then you really need to put this one at the top of your list.
14 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
If you want a quality mic/line pre with the option of a high end compressor, look no further. This is the one, UA is the best.
First pro pre-amp I purchased. It's pretty tube-y if you want it to be and can be driven hard for a little fuzz. The EQ is broad and I tend to be very conservative with it and the LA-2A style limiter adds some nice control.
I had a CADM179 that died after an hour of use. I contacted Front End and they provided the information I needed to ship the product back. Time went on and I wasn't getting around to it, then one day the replacement showed up! I was impressed! Taking the initiative to send the replacement microphone when I was dropping the ball was really great. I love vintage king but now I shop here first. Thanks!
Great pre-amp. Smooth and up front vocals and killer bass tracks as well.
I'm privledged enough to have some pretty great preamps in my small studio's rack, and I'm happy to say I think the LA-610 is one of them. The clear, rich and dimensional sound of the pre itself is great enough; I especially love using it when recording vocals (especially ballads), acoustic guitars, and drum overheads. But the unit's built-in EQ settings can also be useful for basic low-end tailoring or for adding a bit of "air" to the highs. And while the 610s compressor/limiter isn't right for every application (what compressor is?), it's pretty easy to use it for smoothing out highly dynamic material. It's an extremely well built unit by a classy company. It's an absolutely stellar value for the money; highly recommended!
This has been my go to channel strip for electric guitars, and Bass DI. Sounds great for vocals too. You make your guitars sound really fat. Bass will give you a very pillowy sound without losing the tone of the instrument. Highly recommended.
This unit has a very warm, tube sound. It is a great choice for producing thick vocal tracks. The EQ is useful, the compressor is stunning and the pre itself is thick and warm. Highly recommended!
I've been working with the LA-610 for about 5 weeks now and absolutely love it. It excels on both vocals and bass tracks. I've also used it on some drum and guitar cab tracks with some success but it is hit or miss there. No one product will be great on everything and I didn't expect it to be.
On vocals it seems to smooth out harsh sources and provides a nice comfortable sound that fits great in the mix. On bass the sound is full, complex and plenty of balls.
It is certainly colored for a pre-amp but in a great way and should easily fit into anyone's crayon box.
The LA-610 MKII is by far your best choice for a professional, high-end entry-level-price channel strip. The sound is without a doubt UA and provides that rich / expensive quality you are looking for. Build quality is solid, and the tubes are fantastic. You can run everything from vocals to drums through this beauty and will benefit substantially. For $1599, this is a 'no brainer' in my book.