Universal Audio Solo/610 Tube Preamp
The Universal Audio Solo/610 Tube Preamp delivers the classic Putnam 610 tube console sound in a portable, highly versatile mic preamp design.
The Solo/610 provides the silky, vintage warmth of the original console’s mic amp design, and will flatter and enhance any microphone or instrument with its iconic tones. Thanks to its convenient form factor, the Solo/610 can be conveniently used in the control room or the recording room, on stage, or on a desktop. Functionally lean but sonically mean, the Solo/610 maintains the character of the 610 console — at a price every serious project studio can afford.
- Record through the classic tube circuit of the Putnam 610 console mic preamp and DI
- Sculpt signals with Gain, Level, and Impedance controls for maximum tonal variety
- Add tube girth and detail to any mic
- Craft your sounds with classic UA tube circuits, hand-built in the USA
Vintage Tones, Modern Workflow
The Solo/610 offers Mic and DI inputs, and Gain and Level controls for myriad clean or colored sounds. Unlike its predecessors, the Solo/610 has continuous Gain control with even greater range, allowing for precise gain structuring. The Solo/610 has all of the essential features of a professional mic pre, including 48v Phantom Power, Lo-Cut filtering, Phase Reverse, and flexible dual impedance selection for both Mic and DI inputs. The Solo/610 also includes essential DI features like Thru use in conjunction with an amplifier, plus Ground Lift and a versatile Mic/Line level output switch.
Universal Audio Solo/610 Tube Preamp Features
- Classic Putnam 610 console mic preamplifier and DI
- Legendary all-tube sound, at a project studio price
- Gain, Level, and Impedance selection for maximum tonal variety
- Portable design for studio, desktop or stage
- Rugged construction-steel chassis
- DI features include Thru and Mic/Line level output
- Hand-built in USA; backed by 1-year limited warranty
Universal Audio Solo/610 Tube Preamp Specifications
- Input Impedance: Mic Input - Selectable 450 ohms (Lo-Z) or 1.6 kilohms (Hi-Z); DI Input - Selectable 2.2 megohms (Lo-Z) or 50 kilohms (Hi-Z)
- Output Load Impedance: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 1 dB
- Maximum Gain: 61 dB
- Tube Complement: (1) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7
- Maximum Mic Input Level: -12 dBu, 1.0% THD+N Ratio
- Maximum Instrument Input Level: +4 dBu, 1.0% THD+N Ratio
- Maximum Gain Mic Input: 55 dB (1.6K ohm input), 60 dB (450 ohm input)
- Mic/Instrument In Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/- 0.1 dB
- Maximum Gain Instrument Input: 37 dB
- Dimensions: 14" x 5 3/4" x 5"
- Weight: 9 lbs.
Universal Audio Solo/610 Tube Preamp includes
- Solo/610 Tube Preamp
- Power Cable
- 1 Year Warranty
4 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I have had my solo 610 for probably two years now, and the discontinued solo 110 almost as long. The two have been my go-to preamps in a growing collection that includes Sytek and API, and I still use them all the time. The 610 has a "warm" or "dark" sound that has a lot of "space" or room tone emphasis. It really works well on DI or miked bass guitar, and is usually my first choice for bass in rock sessions. On the other side of things, it's my favorite acoustic guitar preamp. The impedance switch makes it a perfect match for my large collection of high quality dynamic microphones. I find they sound better on the low impedence setting, which is a feature lacking on any of my other preamps. I prefer the 110 for vocals and electric guitar. Hard to go wrong with a UA solo.
The Solo/610 is amazing for Bass DI's. It works surprisingly well with an sm7b and a good rock vocalist. The form factor isn't really great for a studio environment, but it might be good for on location recording or live. It's not super versatile, but if you are looking for a bit of a slightly vintage darker mic pre, then this is what you want. It's high quality and should last forever.
If you want one incredible pre-amp to get beautiful crisp sound, this is the answer. At this price you can buy two for less than most single channel strips. It sounds very clear and can add that nice tube warmth and grit by cranking up the gain. I've used this is a mic pre-amp, a bass and guitar DI in multiple applications and it never disappoints. The switchable impedance is a great feature if you use a lot of different sources and the front DI input is great for a home studio setup.
If you're looking at less expensive pre-amp like Presonus, M-audio etc., take the next step and buy this one. It will last you your entire life and will be a workhorse in your stable.
This unit is the most affordable way to get that classic UA 610 console sound! I personally prefer using the Solo as a DI/mic pre for guitars, but this unit also works great for vocals, esp. if you don't have a tube mic and want that extra "warmth". The Solo is perfect for getting a classic pro sound without spending a lot of money since you get both fine DI and mic pre functions in a single unit!