Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Microphone Preamp
The Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Microphone Preamp is a complete single channel microphone preamp that offers features and flexibility for use in the most serious recording applications.
The signal path consists of a matched discrete transistor front-end, premium IC's, and transformer output stage. With the push of a button, the MP5.0 can change from an "Transformer-Balanced" output to a "Active-Balanced" output. The compact 1/2 rack format of the MP5.0 can easily be rack mounted and combined with the Speck Model ASC equalizer to create a highly functional outboard channel strip. The MicPre 5.0 also includes a mix section that makes it perfect for DAW's and remote recording.
- Mix Node: The mix section of the MicPre 5.0 provides a separate left/right mix out with level, pan and mute. With only a simple interface cable, this mix section, or "Mix Node" can be linked with any number of MP5.0's to form a fully integrated mix section. In many situations such as desktop or location recording, this expandable feature of the MP5.0 can eliminate the need for a separate audio mixer.
- Flexible signal routing: The MP5.0 is more than a mic pre. It gives you a surprising number of signal routing alternatives. Just use your imagination when plugging up the MP5.0. Since the MP5.0 works with balanced or unbalanced gear, you will not be stuck looking for the proper cable or worrying about level compatibility between dissimilar gear.
Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Microphone Preamp Features
- Matched discrete transistor input / transformer output.
- 70 dB of preamp gain.
- Precision stepped gain control with variable trim control
- Variable high pass filter.
- Mix output section with level, pan and mute.
- Mix section can be "linked" with additional MP5.0's.
- Transformer "and" active balanced outputs.
- High resolution 10 segment LED VU meter.
- Internal power supply with toroidal transformer.
- All input, output, and insert connectors are balanced.
- Can be combined with the Model ASC EQ to form a channel strip
Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Microphone Preamp Specifications
- Gain Range (Mic): 70 dB total +10 to +60dB in 5dB steps -10/+10 variable trim
- Gain Range (D.I.): -20 to +40 dB in 5 dB steps THD+N (Gain +40, Output +12dBu) 002% nominal
- Noise EIN (22Hz-22kHz): -126 dBu (150 ohm, 60dB gain)
- Freqency Response: 10Hz-200kHz (+0/-3dB)
- Mic input impedence(10Kz): 4.6k ohms
- D.I. input impedence: 50k ohms
- Maximum input level: +18dBu (without pad) - +30dBu (with 20dB pad in)
- Max. output level (10k load): +28dBu at active outputs - +24dBu at transformer output
- HP Filter: 30Hz-250Hz (12dB/octave)
- Phantom Power: +48V regulated
- Dimensions: HxWxD=1.75" x 8.5" x 8.00" (44mm x 216mm x 203mm)
- Weight: 5 Lbs. (2.27kg)
- Power Requirements: 100-120 VAC 50-60Hz - 220-240 VAC 50-60Hz
Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Microphone Includes
- 115v Power Supply (if you require 230v please let us know)
What We Think - Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Review
"The Speck Electronics MicPre 5.0 Microphone Preamp is a world-class, solid sounding, clean character microphone preamplifier that is revered by those who know it. If it were just a mic preamp, it would be a good value at it's price point. However, the fact that it features the ability to link up with other MicPre 5.0 units to create a small, portable mixer makes it even more of a great value. Plus match it up with one of the Speck Electronics ASC equalizers and you have a very powerful channel strip. The MicPre 5.0 is regularly found in the studios of voiceover talents, due to it's no-nonsense, rich sound. But I have had preferable results in the studio when using the MicPre 5.0 compared to some very well known go-to mic preamps. In fact, those celebrated preamps made for some annoyingly piercing hi-hat tracks where the Speck MicPre 5.0 beautifully took the energy of the hat and gave it back as the mic captured it. The hat now sits perfectly in the mix as is and I'm a happier engineer. If you're looking for tools that simply work and work well, then give us a call to pick up some gear from Speck Electronics."
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Definitely worth having one of these. I use it alongside a Grace M101, & really appreciate the difference in tone, & the adjustable hi pass filter. Not as much hi freq which is a nice sound shaping alternative when recording different voices & instruments, using different mics etc. LED metering gives a more accurate idea of where the limits are. Haven't used the many other options, but the sound is what I really wanted, & it didn't disappoint.
after 10 days of use, i am extremely impressed. with quite a few prosumer and professional mic pres in my home studio, this one is unique. i like the fact that you can take a mono mic output and then send it to two different effect processors. this feature was perhaps the single most attractive one that impelled me to purchase. i like to record vocals on two tracks, so for my first experiment i had one track with a limiter and the 2nd track with a compressor. the headroom is excellent. usually with my voice and on most of my mic pres i can only go up as far as 20db on the input level, but with this beauty i can go as high up as 40db. it has also some nice tweaking features such as an xfmr and an active switch which subtlely changes the sound. if you go out of the regular xlr output instead of the stereo outs (1/4") you can have a choice of two different subtle sounds also. the sound is clean, not colored and the price is definitely reasonable.