RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp
The RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp is a full range hi-end preamp and AD-converter in reference quality, fully remote controllable, with optional MADI I/O. In a standard 19 box with 2 unit height the Micstasy offers numerous extraordinary features like Intelligent Clock Control (ICC), SyncCheck, SteadyClock, TotalGain, AutoSet, MIDI over MADI, and remote control via MADI and MIDI.
The RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp is an 8-Channel hi-end mic/line preamp and AD-converter combining typical RME features with a number of previously unseen features. It can be used analog (Mic/Line In to Line Out) and digital (Mic/Line In to Digital Out), with both signal paths operating simultaneously. Special highlight: the RME Micstasy is fully remote-controllable via MIDI (also MIDI over MADI).
The RME Micstasy's innovative concept allows for amplification and digitization of ALL analog signal sources. Be it high-level stage signals, typical studio signals, lower level and high-impedance instruments, or dynamic, condenser or ribbon microphones: Micstasy understands them all - in a way that is simply thrilling.
The signals amplified by the RME Micstasy are available at the analog outputs for passing them on, making an expensive splitter box on stage obsolete. All functions can be remote controlled via MIDI and MIDI over MADI, allowing the device to be placed near the microphones, ensuring highest sound quality. Adding the optional MADI Card results in even more options. The I64 MADI Card provides serial pass-through capability from one RME Micstasy to the next (up to 8). All up to 64 audio signals are then available at the last device on one single line. Such a way of cascading is also possible between Micstasy and ADI-8 QS.
In a standard 19" box with 2 unit height the RME Micstasy offers numerous extraordinary features like Intelligent Clock Control (ICC) , SyncCheck ®, SteadyClock, TotalGain, AutoSet, MIDI over MADI, and remote control via MADI and MIDI.
The technologies known from other RME products like SyncCheck® ensure perfect synchronization and clear detection of errors. Also multiple units can be stacked and operated sample-aligned, using word clock. All settings are stored when the RME Micstasy is switched off.
The RME Micstasy can be fully remote controlled and configured via MIDI, and all status displays can be queried through MIDI. Each Micstasy can be given a separate ID, allowing separate remote controllability of various devices with only one MIDI channel. The MIDI remote is also compatible to Digidesign's Pro Tools system, Yamaha's M7C and PM5D. The manual further shows how to remote control the RME Micstasy from the DM-1000 and DM-2000.
The RME's SteadyClock(TM) guarantees excellent clock quality in any situation. Due to the highly efficient jitter reduction, the RME Micstasy's AD-converters operate independently from the quality of the external clock signal, as if they are working with internal clock all the time - guaranteeing a pristine sound quality! Additionally Intelligent Clock Control (ICC) will retain the last valid sample frequency in case of a loss of the input signal.
In the RME Micstasy RME uses high-class AD-converters from Cirrus Logic, offering exceptional Signal to Noise and distortion figures. But the biggest difference to all other ADCs out there is its innovative digital filter, achieving for the first time a delay of only 12 samples in Single Speed 0.25 ms), 9 samples in Double Speed 0.09 ms), and 5 (!) samples in Quad Speed (0.026 ms).
These values are less than a quarter of those available from even much more expensive devices. They represent an important step in further reducing the latency in the computer-based recording studio. At DS and QS the added latency can simply be ignored. And with the ADI-8 QS, a matching DA-converter with only 5 up to 10 samples delay will turn 'analog digital monitoring' into real analog-style monitoring.
Some preamps include limiters in order to prevent clipping, especially of the A/D converter stage. Such a circuitry is not feasible for the RME Micstasy, because it would spoil the mic preamp's excellent technical specifications.
But as the RME Micstasy's gain is controlled completely digitally, the device can set it automatically, thus providing perfect protection from overload with no degradation of the audio signal, which does not have to pass any additional electronic circuitry.
In the Setup menu, the threshold level beyond which the gain will be reduced can be adjusted in four steps (-1, -3, -6, -12 dBFS). Any change of gain will be shown immediately on the GAIN displays. And with AutoSet activated, the gain can still be changed manually.
RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp Connectivity
- 8 x Analog Input Preamps (XLR/Line with 85 dB gain range)
- 8 x Analog Output (XLR)
- 4 x AES/EBU Out (8 channels @ 192 kHz)
- 2 x ADAT Out (SMUX and SMUX4)
- MIDI I/O
- Word Clock I/O
- MADI I/O (I 64 MADI Card) (Optional)
RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp Features
- 8 Balanced XLR mic/line inputs with 85 dB gain range
- Analog input level from -56.5 dBu up to +30 dBu
- High-end circuitry with 4 relays per channel, super low-noise microphone front-end
- Near click-free gain changes in steps of 0.5 dB
- Large frequency range (200 kHz) with special EMI input filtering
- 8 Balanced TRS line / instrument inputs with Hi-Z option
- 8 Balanced XLR line outputs, maximum level +27 dBu
- 4 x AES/EBU Out via D-sub, 8 channels @ 192 kHz
- 2 x ADAT Out, 8 channels @ 96 kHz
- Optional MADI I/O (I64 MADI Card) with serial cascading and digital return path
- Symmetrical hi-pass (Lo Cut) with super-low THD, 18 dB/oct
- LED level meter with 13 LEDs per channel
- M/S de-/encoding for the digital output
- AutoSet: Automatic gain reduction with multiple linking
- Current state can be stored to 8 user presets
- Fully remote controllable
RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp Specifications
- Frequency Response -0.1 dB: 20 Hz - 100 kHz
- EIN @ 30 dB Gain @ 150 Ohm: 122.3 dBu
- EIN @ 40 dB Gain @ 150 Ohm: 126.5 dBu
- EIN @ 50/60/70 dB Gain @ 150 Ohm: 127.4 dBu
- THD+N @ 30 dB Gain: < -100 dB, < 0.001 %
- Signal to Noise Ratio AD (SNR) @ +30 dBu: 115.2 dB RMS unweighted, 118.5 dBA
- Signal to Noise Ratio AD (SNR) @ +21 dBu: 112.7 dB RMS unweighted, 116 dBA
- Signal to Noise Ratio AD (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 110 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA
- Sync Sources: Internal, AES, word, Option (MADI)
- Sample Frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, variable (external clocks)
- Sample Rate Range: MADI: 32 - 192 kHz, word clock: 27 kHz - 200 kHz, AES: 28 kHz - 200 kHz
- Jitter: Typical < 1 ns for internal, word clock, AES and MADI input
- Jitter Suppression: >30 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Jitter Sensitivity: all PLLs operate error-free even at 100 ns
- Power Supply: Internal switching mode PS, 100V - 240V AC, 60 Watt
- Dimensions: (W x H x D) 483 x 88 x 200 mm
RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp Includes
- RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp
- Power Cord
- RME Driver CD
- Optical Cable (TOSLINK), 2m
- User Manual
- 2 Years Warranty
RME Micstasy Microphone Preamp Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review