RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp
The RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp is designed to provide pristine analog-to-digital conversion of all channels. Low distortion, excellent signal-to-noise ratio and highly linear frequency response all contribute to the ability of the OctaMic II to transmit and amplify an accurate representation of the source.
The RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp provides 8-Channel 192 kHz / 24 bit AD conversion with eight hi-class microphone and line pre-amplification channels, featuring a combination of sophisticated components and approved RME technology.
Lowest distortion, excellent signal to noise ratio and perfectly linear frequency response transmit and amplify the microphone signals truly unchanged.
The RME OctaMic II offers 8 balanced XLR mic / line inputs via Neutrik XLR/TRS combo jacks. Each channel contains switches for 48V phantom power, a low cut filter and phase reversal. Amplification can be set between 6 and 60 dB. LEDs for signal, clip, and activated phantom power give a complete overview on the unit's status. When the special Clip Hold mode is activated, any detected clip-state will cause the corresponding LED to flash once per second. With this, the user gets a long-term peak detection, and no longer needs to constantly watch the LEDs. At the same time momentary overloads are still displayed correctly.
Frontside switches include power on/off and output level, for a choice of -10 dBV, +4 dBu or Hi Gain (+19 dBu) as reference level. This unusual feature offers two advantages. First, the reference level can be easily switched to match any of RME's current interface devices, from RME HDSP 9632 through Multiface up to the renowned ADI-8 series converters. Second, the Signal to Noise ratio is optimized, and the Clip-LED will exactly match the ones of the ADI-8 (2 dB below 0 dBFS).
The balanced line level output signal is available at the back of the unit via 8 stereo TRS jacks. The specially developed, internal hi-performance switch mode power supply lets the RME OctaMic II operate in the range of 100V to 240V AC. It is short-circuit-proof, has an integrated line-filter, is fully regulated against voltage fluctuations, and suppresses mains interference.
The 8-Channel AD-conversion of the RME OctaMic II operates at up to 192 kHz. The digitized signal is available simultaneously at the double ADAT output (S/MUX, up to 96 kHz), and at a DB-25 connector (4 AES/EBU outputs, up to 192 kHz). The digital part can be clocked internally (master) and externally via word clock, AES/EBU and SPDIF.
RME's outstanding SteadyClock(TM) ensures perfect AD-conversion, as jitter on the external sync-sources is nearly completely removed. All settings are done via DIP-switches on the back of the RME OctaMic II. Analog outputs and both digital outputs operate fully simultaneously. The choice of reference level affects the analog outputs only, the signal/clip indication and the AD-conversion will react only to the Gain-pots.
RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp Connectivity
- 8 x Mic / Line Preamp Input (XLR/TRS Combo)
- 8 x Line Output (TRS balanced)
- 8 x AD-converter (up to 192 kHz)
- 2 x ADAT Output (S/MUX, up to 96 kHz)
- 4 x AES/EBU Output (D-sub, up to 192 kHz)
- 1 x AES/SPDIF Sync Input
- Phase, Low Cut and Phantom power per channel
- Clip Hold Memory
RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp Features
- 8-Channel microphone/line preamp with 8-channels of analog-to-digital conversion
- Low distortion with linear frequency response provides clear and transparent preamplification
- Each channel features a gain control along with switches for enabling phantom power, a high-pass filter and phase reverse
- Per channel LEDs indicate phantom power status, signal presence and a clip indicator
- When activated, a "Clip Hold" button prompts any corresponding clip LED to flash once a second when an overload is detected on that particular channel
- 8 Short-circuit protected, low-impedance and servo-balanced line outputs can have their reference level changed simultaneously, via a front panel switch, to aid in maintaining optimum output levels
- The 8-channel analog-to-digital conversion operates at up to 192kHz
- Digital output is available simultaneously at the two ADAT outputs, allowing for S/MUX operation up to 96kHz, and at a DB-25 connector delivering 4 AES/EBU outputs, up to 192kHz
- Analog outputs and both digital outputs operate simultaneously
- SteadyClock ensures near perfect conversion by almost completely removing jitter on any external sync source
RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp Specifications
- Inputs: 8 Balanced XLR/TRS mic/line inputs
- Gain Range: 54 dB
- Input Impedance: XLR 2 kOhm, TRS 5 kOhm
- Analog Input Level: From -40 dBu up to +21 dBu
- Maximum Output Level: +21 dBu
- Output Impedance: 75 Ohm
- Output Level Switchable: Hi Gain / +4 dBu / -10 dBV
- Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): 129 dB EIN @ 150 Ohm
- THD: < 0.0005 % @ 30 dB Gain
- Large Frequency Range: (200 kHz) with special EMI input filtering
- Frequency Response -0.5 dB: 5 Hz - 200 kHz
- Hi-Pass Filter: 80 Hz, 18 dB/oct.
- Line Out: 1/4" TRS (6.3 mm stereo jack), servo-balanced
- Phantom Power: +48 Volt switchable per channel
- Internal Wide Range Switching Power Supply: 100-240 Volt AC
- AD Conversion: Yes
- SNR: >110 dB(A)
- Supported Sample Rates: 28 kHz - 200 kHz
- THD: < 0.0003 %, < -110 dB
- Sync Sources: AES/EBU (also SPDIF coaxial), wordclock, internal
- SteadyClock: Ensures best sound quality even with jittery external clocks
RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp Includes
- RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp
- Power Cord
- Optical Cable (TOSLINK), 2 m
- User Manual
- 6 Months Warranty
RME OctaMic II Microphone Preamp Downloads
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
The unit has a solid feel to it. Hook up is very simple (it comes with on ADAT cable) Knobs all have a nice turn resistance and nothing feels or looks sloppy. I have not used it as a master yet but slaved to my TC Electronic SK48 it is working and sound great.