Fredenstein Artistic MicPre Plus 500-Series Preamp
The Fredenstein Artistic MicPre Plus 500-Series Preamp features a revolutionary tube type distortion circuit. The variable color control allows to adjust this feature from very subtle to extremely pronounced.
The Artistic MicPre Plus features a revolutionary tube type distortion circuit. The variable color control allows to adjust this feature from very subtle to extremely pronounced . In addition the Color feature is also level dependent in the same way tube gear behaves. Variable color enables a myriad of new creative possibilities and prevents cold and stale sounds. Turning the Color knob all the way counter clockwise, the Color LED turns off and the Color circuit is completely disabled.
Another key component to achieve best performance levels is the OPA2 discrete audio operational amplifier. As all Fredenstein products, it is not a copy of an older design, but a proprietary design manufactured in SMT technology. Matched and integrated dual input transistors guarantee vastly improved specifications compared to older designs. The OPA2, following the tradition of well known manufactures, is socketed and can be exchanged without tools. The industry standard pinout makes it compatible with many manufactures. The sound is further defined by the Americanmade steel-core output transformer, which is known for its smooth vintage sound without being dark or just “mid-rangy”.
A 2 MOhms high impedance direct input is located on the front-panel, it accepts balanced and unbalanced signals, the rear microphone input is automatically disconnected when a plug is inserted in the DI connector. The Artistic MicPre Plus features a maximum gain of 65 dB, a 20 dB Pad, switchable polarity, selectable input impedance, and Phantom-Power support. The output level is indicated with a SIG and a +20dB LED. As all Fredenstein products, the Artistic MicPre Plus is designed by a German-American team and manufactured in Taiwan.
Fredenstein Artistic MicPre Plus 500-Series Preamp Features
- Color Control: Controls the amount of color added to the signal. When active the yellow LED next to the Color knob is lit.
- Gain Control: Microphone Preamplifier Gain Control, minimum +20 dB, maximum +65 dB
- POL – Polarity Control: Pushing the POL switch selects the polarity, when lit (blue), the output polarity is reversed. Otherwise the true, non-reversed, polarity is selected (normal operation).
- PAD – Input Attenuator: Setting the PAD switch (orange light) activates a 20dB attenuator at the input allowing line level signals to pass through the preamplifier.
- Low Z – Low Inout Impedance: When lit (green), the input impedance changes from 1500 Ohms to 300 Ohms. Some dynamic- and ribbon-microphones only work linear on a low input impedance.
- P48 Phantom Power: Most FET condenser microphones as well as some other microphones with built-in amplifiers require +48V Phantom Power. Setting the P48 switch (red light) enables +48V through the balanced microphone line. Please check your microphone documentation if you are not 100% sure. Enabling P48 on microphones not designed for P48 might cause severe damage to the microphone. The DI input is not supplied with Phantom Power.
- DI – Direct Input: The most common use for the DI input is to connect instruments like guitars directly to the Artistic MicPre Plus. The input impedance is greater than 2M Ohms to insure compatibility with most instrument pickups. After inserting a balanced (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) or an unbalanced (Tip-Sleeve) plug, the balanced microphone input through the box or rack is automatically disabled.
Fredenstein Artistic MicPre Plus 500-Series Preamp Specifications
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20,000 Hz, +/- 1 dB
- Distortion: < 0.02% at +4 dBu output level (Color off)
- Input Noise: < -127 dB
- Input Impedance: > 1500 Ohms normal or 300 Ohms Low-Z on
- DI Impedance: > 2 MOhms
- Max. Input Level: + 24 dBu, Pad activated
- Max Input Level DI: + 18 dBu balanced or unbalanced
- Output Impedance: 600 Ohms
- Max. Output Level: + 26 dBu
- Input Attenuator: - 20 dB (switchable Pad)
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review