The Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Microphone is a multi-pattern FET Mic, designed to deliver the professional performance. The discreet Class A low-noise FET circuitry of CK-40 yields pleasing professional results comparable to much more expensive stereo microphones.
The Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic is truly a gorgeous looking and sounding microphone. The design, character and performance can be compared directly to some of the world's very finest stereo FET mics; but at a fraction of their cost. The rugged Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic body and capsule assemblies are precision machined of brass. Aesthetically, the Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic features an elegant Metallic Cabernet Wine-Red finish, accented with polished nickel trim and plated steel grills. The discreet class A low-noise FET circuitry will yield pleasing professional results comparable to much more expensive designs. Any studio can proudly offer the Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic as a group vocal mic, room mic, piano mic, or utility condenser due to its versatility. It exudes class visually as well as sonically.
The versatile Avantone CK-40 Stereo Class A FET Microphone features twin large 35mm center-terminated pressure gradient transducers. Their close physical proximity places them in a tight vertical array to allow accurate stereo imaging without phase issues arising. The top capsule/grill assembly rotates up to 180 degrees relative to the lower capsule/grill assembly. This feature along with the multi-pattern independent selector choices allow for all stereo recording techniques to be utilized. (XY-Coincident/Blumlein, M-S). The 2 sets of pad, pattern select & LF rolloff switches independently control the capsules. Front switches control the lower fixed grill/capsule while the rear switches control the upper rotating headgrill.
The Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic operates on standard 48 volt phantom power and includes a 5-pin mic cable that plugs into the included 1x2 stereo splitter box. Two standard XLR mic cables are then all that is required to connect to a phantom powered mic preamp/console channel. The included Custom Retro Shockmount is superb in allowing a precise positioning of the Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic while inhibiting the transfer of unwanted vibrations up into the mic. This isolation allows for superior professional results.
So many sonic and spatial options are available with this Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Mic and the Avantone Pro encourage you to experiment and use your ears as the final judge for stereo panning spread, use of omni vs cardioid or whether utilizing M-S miking techniques will better serve your particular situation etc...
Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Microphone Features
- Class A Transformerless FET Electronics
- 2 Sets of -10 pads/roll-off switches
- 2 Sets of 3 position pattern select switches (Cardioid-Omni-Figure 8)
- Custom Retro Shock-mount
- Wood mic box & aluminum carry case
- Great for room mic, orchestra, choral, ensemble, instrumental, backing groups vocals, drum overhead, etc.
- Compare to the Studio Projects LD-2 Stereo Mic
Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Microphone Specifications
- Type: Stereo True Condenser Microphone
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Omni, Figure-8 (x2)
- Capsule(s): (2) Dual plate 35mm gold sputtered diaphragm / brass assembly
- Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz +/- 3dB
- Output Impedance: <=250 Ohms / transformer isolated
- Maximum SPL: 147 dB (0.5% THD @1000Hz)
- Equivalent Noise Level: 17dB (A weighted EC651)
- S/N Ratio: 77dB re 1Pa
- Sensitivity: -40dB
- Output Connector: Male XLR 5 pin with included breakout box and cable
- High-Pass Switch: 80 Hz 6dB/octave
- Attenuation Switch: -10dB
- Power Requirements: Standard 48 Volt Phantom (x2) 3mA current consumption
- Finish: Polished Nickel trim / Metallic Cabernet Red Body
- Weight: .95 kgs / 2.1 lbs
- Dimensions: 27.6cm X 49mm
Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Microphone Includes
- Avantone CK-40 Stereo FET Microphone
- Avantone Custom Retro Shockmount W/ Extra Elastic bands
- 1 x 2 Splitter Box (Stereo Breakout Box)
- Elegant Padded Genuine Wooden Mic Box
- 30' 5-Pin Cable
- Foam Wind Filter
- Padded Aluminum Storage / Travel Case
- Printed Owners Manual
- 5 Year Warranty
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This mic is a great sounding mic for drums and piano, but what I really want to comment on is the absolute stellar customer service you will get from Front End Audio. See, I had an QC issue with my ck-40, but Front End Audio took care of it fast and completely. Trust in a vendor is very important in this age of faceless internet companies who can be difficult to get in touch with, and Front End Audio has one of the best customer service departments I’ve experienced. Thanks Shane and Ryan! I’ll be back for more gear soon!
For the money this mic cannot be beat. The build is good, nice case and heavy-duty breakout box. The cable from the mic to the splitter is long enough to get high up over a kit. The only ding on this mic is there is no designation on the switches as to wich element you are effecting. All it need is a little T / B for top bottom to get the 5th star.
I’m really impressed with the build quality, but even moreso with the quality of this mic's sound. One setup—granted a little moving about is necessary but easier with this microphone than with a stereo pair—is all it takes. Some people complain about having to use a microphone splitter rather than a Y-cable, but I’ve not encountered any problems. Thinking it through first is always a good thing. The mic is heavy, requiring a sturdy boom stand, though I’ve not encountered problems yet with my modest stand. Though I’ve had this mic for a couple of months, I’m relishing what it has managed to record so far. My 1930s replica instrument is loud and mid-rangy, and the CK-40 is spot on in its capture of the tonal colors—and imperfections in my playing—of the instrument. Finally, a word of thanks to Front End Audio for their service and informative help. Keep up the great work!
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review