The AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone, delivering that big, passive, ribbon mic sound for stereo XY and MS applications.
The new AEA R88 MK2 features the same pure Big Ribbon sound in a new shockmount that is easier to position than the original R88. The AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone is a stereo pair of AEA R84's in one capsule! It utilizes the same basic LRG and acoustic structure as the AEA R44CNE, and delivers that "big ribbon" sound for Stereo applications. Wes Dooley has extensive experience in multi-mic and stereo recording. His experiences in North America, Europe, Africa and New Zealand led him to develop portable recording tools such as multi-channel microphone arrays, MS stereo processors, stereo phase displays and very tall microphone stands. Now he has developed an exceptional stereo ribbon mic! The AEA R88 MK2 is designed to be a higher performance microphone with less internal shielding since it's not intended for close micing situations.
The R88 MK2 has been optimized for stereo instrument and ensemble recording. The R88's two ribbon motors are oriented at 90 degrees, and have excellent off-axis frequency response. The R88 MK2 uses the large ribbon configuration of the classic RCA 44 series mics, which gives the mic solid 20Hz bass response and a smooth high end which is flattering to complex tones such as cymbals, strings, and woodwinds.
The R88 MK2 is very useful for chamber music, drum overheads, stereo piano pickup, horn sections, and most any coincident stereo pickup application. The high quality passive electronics in the R88 MK2 ensure a huge dynamic range with minimal distortion, but the R88 will sound best with a preamp that has at least 60dB of clean gain, low noise floor (-127dB EIN or better) and input impedance of at least 1.5 kOhm.
The R88 MK2 is minimally protected from wind blasts for the most natural sound quality possible, so a pop filter should be used when making close vocal recordings. The R88 MK2 may be used for both Blumlein stereo and M-S Stereo recording techniques. The mic is finished in Stealth black to reduce visibility in live recording situations, and features an integral shock suspension to reduce noise coupled through the mic stand.
AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Features
- New shock mount suspension for easy positioning
- Matched pair of Large Ribbon Geometry figure-eight mics for Blumlein or MS stereo
- 20 hz to 20 kHz response
- Captive 4 meter cable to two A3M connectors
- Supplied with a locking angle adapter for flexible positioning
- Designed to fly overhead for large venue installations
- Three pounds plus the cable weight
- 2.5" diameter and 14" tall
- Black stealth finish
- Sturdy zippered case
AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Specifications
- General Specifications
- Operating Principle: Pressure gradient microphone
- Directional Pattern: Bidirectional (Figure-of-8)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 165+ dBSPL (1% third harmonic > 1 kHz)
- Output Sensitivity: 2.5 mV/Pa (-52 dBV) into unloaded circuit
- Output Impedance: 270 Ω nominal
- Recommended Load Impedance: 1.2 kΩ or greater
- Powering: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 and 4 high for positive pressure on front of microphone.
- Connector: XLR-5M connector, includes breakout cable to 2x XLR-3M
- Off Axis Response:
- Polar Pattern: Native bi-directional pattern
- Horizontal: Level changes with angle, frequency response is consistent, 35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Vertical: Level changes with angle, reduced HF response above and below 0° / 180° axis, 35 dB null at 90° / 270°
- Transducer element:
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 μ (0.0000018 m) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 0.185 (4.7 mm)
- Ribbon Length: 2.35 (59.7 mm)
- Weight & Dimensions:
- Weight with Cable: 5 lb 3 oz (2.36 kg)
- Height: 15 (38.1 cm)
- Width: 3
AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Includes
- Custom storage / shipping case
- Product Manual
- 12-foot breakout cable (Optional: Any cable length available. Inquire for price and availability)
- Limited Warranty: One year parts and labor, shipping not included. Three year extended warranty if the product is registered.
AEA R88 MK2 Stereo Ribbon Microphone Downloads
What We Think
"It really is pretty simple: The AEA R88 MK2 mic makes perfect, extremely high-resolution stereo recordings, every time. Match the R88 MK2 with the TRP or the RPQ and you really have a serious system for capturing anything that you would ever want to record in stereo while also maintaining phase-perfect fold-down to mono.
"Recording a vocal ensemble, jazz band, orchestra, drums (overhead, under-head, room...) or whatever, becomes a simple task. The R88 MK2 is a jazz engineer's dream for getting that classic sound of the 50's but bringing it forward into the new millenium. Seriously, you CAN get away with just using this mic to capture the drums - and with a lot of acoustic music, less-is-more. And when you have a microphone that is so wholly full-range and beautiful sounding as the R88 MK2, then you might just be dumbfounded at how little work you actually did to capture your recording with a truly world class sound and style.
"I've used ribbons with all kinds of high quality preamps, and the AEA TRP and RPQ are the clearly apparent superior preamp in my opinion. If you're serious about getting the most depth, detail, and energy out of the naturally smooth sound of such excellent ribbon microphones as are contained within the AEA R88 MK2, then I cannot recommend enough the acquisition of either the RPQ or TRP for use with the R88 MK2."
- Front End Audio