Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip
The Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip combines a hand-built in the USA, all-tube, vintage mic preamp design - heard on classic albums by Coldplay, The Beach Boys, and Van Halen - with authentic Teletronix T4 opto-compression circuitry.
This classic channel strip design, with its warm preamp tone and smooth, natural-sounding compression, is updated with modern, user-requested features like true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output, and an auto-switching power supply.
- Record through the all-tube mic preamp derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Shape your tones further with High and Low frequency shelving tube EQ
- Compress signals with authentic Teletronix T4 opto-compression tube circuitry
- Record your tracks through vintage UA, "handmade in the USA," circuits
The Legendary 610 Preamp
The LA-610 MkII is based on the legendary console modules developed by Bill Putnam in the 60's. Noted for their musical character and warmth, innumerous classics by artists ranging from Frank Sinatra to Coldplay, Van Halen to Pet Sounds, have been recorded using the 610 preamp. The LA-610 MkII will impart the same silky, vintage warmth of the original console’s mic amp design to your sources.
Toneful Tube Compression
The LA-610 Mk II’s T4 tube compressor provides the same ultra-warm limiting that has made the Teletronix LA-2A the king of fat opto compression. The electro-optical detector, or "T4 cell,” is the heart and soul of the Teletronix LA-2A. Its photo resistors are the crucial circuit components, giving the compressor its signature warmth, making it a “go-to” for tracking vocals, bass, or acoustic guitars. Taken together, it’s impossible to get a bad sound out of the LA-610 MkII’s legendary preamp and compression circuits.
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip Features
- All-tube mic preamp design derived from legendary Bill Putnam-designed 610 modular console
- Authentic Teletronix LA-2A-style T4 opto-compressor section
- MkII exclusive features include: true compressor bypass, larger metering, increased output, and auto-switching power supply
- Mic pre with Gain and Level controls, variable impedance switching, and instrument DI for recording tone “color”
- High and Low frequency shelving EQ
- Complete vintage channel strip at groundbreaking price within project studio reach
- UA build quality and heritage, audiophile components, hand-assembled in the USA
- Backed by 1-Year limited warranty
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip Specifications
- Microphone Input Impedance: Selectable, 500 Ohm or 2k Ohm
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 20k Ohm
- Hi-Z Input Impedance: Selectable, 2.2M Ohm or 4 k Ohm
- Maximum Microphone Input Level: -8 dBu (2k input impedance and 15dB Pad in)
- Maximum Output Level: 80 dB
- Recommended Minimum Load: 600 Ohm
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0.5 dB
- Maximum Gain: 40 dB (line), +77dB (mic)
- Noise Floor: -72 dBu, 20 Hz to 20 kHz (line in, unity gain)
- Compressor Ratio: 3:1, soft knee, program dependent
- Limiter Ratio: Infinity: 1, soft knee, program dependent
- Attack Time: 10 ms, program dependent
- Release Time: Dual stage: 60 ms for 1st release, then 1 - 15 sec.
- Tube Complement: (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7, (1) EL84
- Power Requirements: 100V / 120V / 240V
- Power Consumption: 30 Watts
- Power Connector: Detachable IEC power cable
- Dimensions: 19" W x 3.5" H x 12.25" D (two rack spaces)
- Weight: 12 lbs.
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip Includes
- LA-610 MKII Channel Strip
- Power Cable
- 1 Year Warranty
What We Think
Without a doubt, the Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Channel Strip is one of the best possible deals in channel strips available. Seriously, what's not to like? You get THE quintessential tube microphone preamplifier, the 610, combined with a special design tube-opto limiting amplifier that delivers performance in a fashion reminiscent of the classic LA-2A - though a bit more aggressive in it's character. If you are looking for a good vocal channel strip that has some good old fashioned "non-hokey", classic American tube sound, and supremely musical character, then you really need to put this one at the top of your list.
14 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
There isn't a classic sounding tube channel strip that you will find for the price that compares. You may not want to push the gain or compressor too much, but the good thing you'll have room to do so if needed. Allot of low end mics today are brittle sounding. Well this will indeed add the saturation character if desired. It's take time to get used to adjusting to different applications, but once in the rack you may have a hard time getting rid of it, even looking to add other preamps to your arsenal.
had one for about a year, only really found it useful on some electric guitars, certain shrill singers and electric bass
if you are thinking this could be your go to channel strip... you can do much much much better
Don't be fooled by the UA name... pretty lame preamp
The LA-610 MkII is a god-send, bringing hi-end studio tone to my humble little studio at an affordable price tag. Dials on both pre-amp and Compression stages are large and well-labeled, tactile and very intuitive to use. I use all the inputs - mic, line and high Z for multiple applications. Bass Guitar direct through the LA-610's hi-Z is a dream - smooth as silk and making adding bass to the mix a relatively seamless affair. Needless to say, voice through the famed device sounds just that much rounder and pleasing to the ear. I recorded some voice-over work for TV and the LA-610 gave the voice an added presence and warmth to the voiced parts of the show. Bravo! For my purposes, the LA-610 is quintessential.
This unit is great for multiple applications. The 610 preamp provides great warmth and together with the opto-compressor, provides clarity and in your face vocals. Great for bass and guitars, as well. The true bypass function will allow me to utilize the preamp only and feed the signal to other effects besides compression if I want to. True flexibility!
This pre amp compressor combination gets five stars. Depending on the setting the sound can go from nearly transparent to very warm. The warmth helps a lot when I use my otherwise clear sounding AKG 414. Also like to run my guitars directly through it part mic part direct. The hi z really warms the guitars up. Was using a solid state before but after buying LA 610, hardly use solid state