Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum Microphone
The Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum Microphone provides a very solid and good presentation of the kick drum with plenty of low-end power and just the right amount of low end 'woof' to put a smile on your face.
The Shure BETA 52A is a Supercardioid, Swivel-mount, Dynamic Kick Drum Microphone featuring a high-output Neodymium Element with a tailored frequency response designed specifically for kick drums and other bass instruments. It provides superb attack and "punch", and delivers studio quality sound even at extremely high sound pressure levels.
The Beta 52A features a modified supercardioid pattern throughout its frequency range to insure high gain-before-feedback and excellent rejection of unwanted sound. A built in dynamic locking stand adapter with an integral XLR connector simplifies installation, particularly if the microphone is to be placed inside a kick drum. The stand adapter keeps the microphone position fixed and resists slipping, even when subjected to sharp blows and strong vibrations. A hardened steel mesh grille protects the Beta 52A from the abuse and wear associated with touring.
Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum Microphone Features
- Frequency response shaped specifically for kick drums and bass instruments
- Builtin dynamic locking stand adapter with integral XLR connector simplifies setup, especially inside a kick drum
- Studio quality performance, even at extremely high sound pressure levels
- Supercardioid pattern for high gain before feedback and superior rejection of unwanted noise
- Hardened steel mesh grille that resists wear and abuse
- Advanced pneumatic shock mount system that minimizes transmission of mechanical noise and vibration
- Neodymium magnet for high signaltonoise ratio output
- Low sensitivity to varying load impedance
- Legendary Shure quality and reliability
Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum Microphone Specifications
- Cartridge Type: Dynamic (moving coil)
- Frequency Response: 20 to 10,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Output Impedance: 150 Ohms
- Sensitivity (at 1kHz, open circuit voltage): - 64 dBV/Pa (0.6 mV) | 1 Pascal = 94 dB SPL
- Maximum SPL (1 kHz at 1% THD, 1kΩ load): 174 dB
- Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3
- Weight (Net): 0.605 kg (1.35 lbs)
- Connector: Three-pin professional audio (XLR), male
- Case: 134 dB (159 dB, -25 Pad)
Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum Microphone Includes
- Beta 52A Microphone
- Storage Bag (26A25)
- 5/8 to 3/8 (Euro) Thread Adapter (95A2050)
Shure Beta 52A Kick Drum Microphone Downloads
What We Think
"I have been using the Shure Beta 52 for ten years now. It consistently has proven itself to me, to be the best choice for kick drums. It has plenty of everything without being hard or harsh. The Beta 52 simply provides a natural open sound that never fails to please. From softer genres, to in your face metal, this mic continues to be my go-to mic. On top of being a great kick mic (and being used widely for kick both in the studio, and on the stage), it is one bad floor tom mic. It makes my 16-inch and 18-inch floor toms sound like cannons. But then again, would you really expect anything from Shure to be great?"
- Ryan Ferris
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
If you are using this mic live, make sure you have some 18 inch subs to support it. If you are in the studio, you will hear lots of low little rumbles and punch. This mic will reproduce the deepest rumbles of a kick drum and give you a thunderous sound. I will admit that the way it is tailored makes it super easy to get a good kick sound. I am pretty sure if you miked a cardboard box it would sound okay with this mic because of how much it is tailored. None the less, it will give you a good reliable kick sound. It is not a super warm or a mic with lots of attack, but it has A LOT down in the power range that will give you a good defined thump that blends well in a mix. If you want more attack, add an SM57 or some other mic inside the kick near the batter head and mix them together. This combo will give you an amazing in your face sound.
This mic gives a big output. I have read others say that it beats out a lot of more expensive mics in giving a big signal, and its the punchiest I have used. The built-in EQ gives a wonderful sound to my 22 inch kick drum. Really solid mic. I am not looking back.