Manley Stereo Pultec Equalizer
The Manley Stereo Pultec Equalizer is Manley's own interpretation of the historic Pultec Equalizer as originally produced by Pulse Techniques, Inc. There's no substitute for a what a Manley Pultec EQ can do!
Manley have been building these Pultec EQs since 1990 after they bothered to hunt down Eugene Shenk in New Jersey to ask for his permission and blessings to produce their own version of his classic piece. These Manley Pultec units employ Manley's own simple and clean all-tube make-up gain block to reamplify the signal after the passive EQ circuit.
The EQ may be set to 'flat' positions or BYPASSED entirely. All BOOST and CUT controls are continuously variable conductive plastic potentiometers for absolutely silent operation and long life. Manley's single rack unit monoblocks occupy one-third of the space of the 'antique Pultecs', an important consideration for allocation of outboard rack space. And if you notice, Manley have added a couple extra frequencies too. The rear mounted input switch selects 0 degrees or 180 degrees PHASE INVERT for the balanced gold pin XLR input or the transformerless unbalanced bridging input (1/4" jack) may be selected in that switch's middle position.
People often ask Manley if their Pultec EQ's sound like the old ones to which they reply, "Yes! But better!" The originals had three transformers in the signal path whereas Manley's can be used completely transformerless. The Manley Enhanced Pultec has a vastly superior B+ power supply, with regulated and balanced heater supply. Manley's line amp is known to be killer-sounding. The components Manley uses today just weren't available in the 1960's. So, if you want a project with crackling carbon pots, dirty open frame wafer switches, 5% and 10% tolerance noisy carbon resistors, exposed tubes sticking out the back of the 3U chassis, etc., go pay top dollar for an antique Pultec!
The Manley Stereo Pultec Equalizer is available in both single and 2-channel versions, uses 1 x 12AX7WA and 1 x 6414 (or 5965) in our ALL-TUBE single-ended line amplifier for the gain make-up and extra-beefy sound; gain is factory set for unity but additional gain is available by a rear mounted feedback adjustment trimpot. Like Manley's 40dB Mic Preamps, the Manley Pultecs offer both transformer coupled balanced and direct capacitor coupled unbalanced outputs for easy interface and sonic variety.
Kick drum? Bring on the Pultecs and all the iron you can muster! You'll soon discover the power and magic of having those individual Low Frequency BOOST and CUT controls in that LF shelf circuit. Need a little clarity or extension? Try that middle bell-shaped Boost dialing in the sharpness of the boost on the BANDWIDTH control. Something bugging you? Ease it off with the HF shelf cut. You'll see. There's no substitute for a what a Manley Pultec EQ can do!
Manley Stereo Pultec Equalizer Specifications
- MANLEY input transformer with nickel laminations potted in mu-metal case. 3K ohm input Z
- PHASE REVERSE switch for balanced XLR input
- Alternate transformerless 1/4" HI-Z (5K ohm) input
- BYPASS switch & AUTO-MUTE w/warmup delay
- Silent conductive plastic BOOST & CUT controls
- Sealed gold-contact Greyhill frequency select switches
- Vacuum Tubes: 1 x 12AX7WA (gain) and 1 x 6414 (or 5965) White Follower
- Hi-current drive <50 ohm LO-Z XLR & 1/4" outputs
- Balanced Transformer-Coupled XLR Outputs via MANLEY 9611
- Flat frequency response from 10Hz-70KHz
- <0.01% THD @ 1Khz
- S/N Ratio: 116 dB
- Adjustable FEEDBACK / GAIN: Unity ±5 dB
- Max. output: +30 dBv
- Power consumption: 18 watts
- Operating mains voltage: Units are purpose built for original destination country's mains voltage: 100V, 120V, or 220-240VAC as indicated on the serial number badge. Power transformer must be replaced in order to change mains operating voltage. 120VAC units may NOT be rewired to put the primaries of the power transformer in series for 220-240V operation or a large radiated field of hum will develop. If changing locations/voltages, the power transformer must be replaced with the dedicated one for the voltage at which it will operate.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Dimensions: 19" x 1 3/4" x 10" (occupies 1u)
- Shipping weight: 12 lbs.
Manley Stereo Pultec Equalizer Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review