Manley Massive Passive Stereo Equalizer
The Manley Massive Passive Stereo Equalizer incorporates the best strengths of Pultecs, choice console EQs, parametrics, and graphics! Massive.... it's a fitting word for this beast. You'll need to experience this.
The MASSIVE PASSIVE is a two channel, four band equalizer, with additional high pass and low pass filters. "Passive" refers to the tone shaping part of this clever new EQ design not using any active circuitry. Only metal film resistors, film capacitors and hand-wound inductors sculpt the sound, kinda like a Pultec EQ on hyper-steroids. Super-beefy, hugely-high-headroom Manley all-tube make-up gain amplifiers deliver your tunes into the next realm. "Massive".... it's a fitting word for this beast. You'll need to experience this.
Creating natural, organic, acoustic tone can only be done with an equalizer that treats the signal with natural methods. The Massive Passive uses simple passive components and exploits their natural qualities rather than forcing a complex circuit to meet an arbitrary clinical or scientific goal. Manley knows that recording and mastering equalizers are used by artists for artistic goals and we balanced this design with a little more art than science. The Massive Passive is intended both for the most radical EQ sometimes needed for tracking as well as the most subtle shadings for vocals and mastering. It is designed to be a fundamentally different EQ but incorporates the best strengths of Pultecs, choice console EQs, parametrics and graphics. The difference is that the Massive allows twice as much EQ with half the coloration. It allows huge HF boosts without sibilance problems and unbelievable fatness without mud. This is unique. Being different also gives it some quirks and idiosyncrasies that will spark your creativity and sense of audio adventure. We could attempt to use dozens of superlatives to describe the sounds, but really, you have to experience it yourself. Words cannot do it justice. The astute reader will notice a lack of "buzz words" and that the Massive Passive is not built around gimmicks, plagiarisms, or conventional techniques. However, it is built to complement our Variable Mu® Limiter Compressor for instance... This combo could just be the ultimate processing chain. It's already a Mastering fave. To this end we finally have a new dedicated Mastering Version Massive Passive Stereo EQ available too.
As of January 2020, the Massive Passive now incorporates our MANLEY POWER Switch-Mode Power Supply. This updated Massive Passive with MANLEY POWER is distinguishable from the previous version by its red backlit power button on the front panel, as opposed to the black switch used in prior versions. The MANLEY POWER power supply is an innovative design developed specifically for Manley Labs, specifically for High Voltage vacuum tubes, and specifically for audio by the world expert team in this technology led by Bruno Putzeys. Proven reliable and sonically superior in the Manley CORE, this power supply provides 300 Volt DC rails to run the vacuum tubes, beefy 6 Volt lines to power them up, along with several other voltage rails for the phantom power and various solid-state control voltages. High Voltage = High Headroom, folks. You will not get near this sonic performance with in any 500-series design. Trust us. This is Massive audio excellence which starts with this superior power supply. All lines are importantly regulated, low impedance, efficient, and super-quiet in this low radiating high frequency design. The universal mains input accepts any voltage or frequency from anywhere in the world making travel with the Massive Passive a breeze.
Manley Massive Passive Stereo Equalizer Features
- All-Passive tone sculpting circuitry
- Unique Shelf curves use the "bandwidth" control
- Overlapping and Interleaved Frequency choices
- Every band switchable to shelf or bell
- Vacuum tube make-up gain and line drivers
- Parallel symmetrical topology
- Premium components throughout
- Passive HP and LP Filters plus gain trims
- Units built after 2016 or 2017 MK2 revision have Hardwire Bypass.
Manley Massive Passive Stereo Equalizer Specifications
- Inputs: Balanced XLR & 1/4” (accepts unbalanced)
- Outputs: Balanced XLR (accepts unbalanced) & Unbalanced 1/4”
- Level +4 dBu nominal
- Bypass Switch bypasses EQ & tube circuits: 1/4” Jacks (not hardwire)
- Bypass Switch bypasses EQ, tube circuits & Input Buffer: XLR Jacks (Hardwire Bypass)
- Gain Trim: -6dB - 0dB - +4dB
- 44 Frequencies (roughly 1/4 octave spacing)
- Frequency Range: 22 Hz to 27 kHz
- EQ Boost/Cut Range : Maximum 20 dB boost or cut
- Nominal Q range: 1.5 to 3 (uniquely active in shelf modes)
- Maximum Input Level: +21dBu
- Maximum Output Level (1kHz sine, 1% THD+N, BW 22Hz-22kHz, Load 100kOhms): +35dBu
- Frequency Response (@ +4dBu, Load 100kOhms): -0.1 dB @ 10Hz, -1 dB @ 60 kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N) (1kHz sine @ +4dBu, BW 22Hz-22kHz): 0.006%
- Output Headroom (Reference to +4dBu): 31dB
- Dynamic Range (Reference to Maximum Output): 123 dB
- Noise Floor Typical (Unity Gain): -88 dBu (A-Weighted)
- Signal to Noise Ratio (Reference to +4 dBu, BW 22Hz-22kHz): 92dB
- Input Impedance: 20kOhm
- Output Impedance: 150 Ohm
- Tube Complement: 2 x 5751, 4 x 6922
- Auto-mute warmup delay = 20 seconds
- Power Consumption (120/240VAC): 44 watts
- Mains Voltage & Frequency (VAC/Hz): Internal Universal Power Supply 90-254 VAC / 50-60Hz
- Size (3U): L 19” x W 10” x H 5.25”
- Unit Weight: 15.5 Lbs.
- Shipping Box: L 23” x W 15” x H 10”
- Shipping Weight: 26 Lbs.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review