The Kali Audio WS-12 Subwoofer is a 1000 W, 12-inch subwoofer for studio and live use. It is powerful enough to be used for bass management in a 5.1 system with Kali studio monitors, or as the subwoofer for a small PA system.
he WS-12 Subwoofer is the most powerful studio subwoofer available under $1000. It is made to be used with any near- or mid-field studio monitors, as well as with small portable PA systems in a live setting. One of the key design specifications for the WS-12 is that it be capable of providing bass management in a 5.1 system where all of the full-range speakers are Kali IN-8s. As such, the WS-12 is powered by a 1000W power amplifier mated to a high-excursion 12-Inch driver.
This much power also makes the WS-12 a capable live subwoofer. Its enclosure is 18mm plywood and it has handles for easy carrying. Kali’s team made sure that it will fit in small passenger cars, so you can take it with you even when you’re calling a ride to get to your gig! All this power is controlled by a robust, user-friendly DSP section that let you dial in the exact settings you need for your system. Whether you’re using it with a pair of LP-6s, as bass management in a 5.1 system, or on stage with a PA, it’s easy to configure the WS-12 to get exactly what you need.
The WS-12 was designed as a companion subwoofer for Kali’s LP- and IN-Series Studio monitors. When used with a pair of Kali monitors, the subwoofer’s crossover and gain settings can be configured to precisely match those of the full-range monitors. With these settings dialed in, set the subwoofer between the speakers, and turn all speakers’ volume knob either to noon or all the way up. The subwoofer’s level will be exactly where it needs to in order to match the full- range speakers.
The WS-12 can be used for bass management in systems as large as 5.1 with any Kali monitors. Convenient settings allow the use of an external crossover, and the WS-12 can even be configured as a dedicated Low Frequency Effects channel.
Kali Audio WS-12 Subwoofer Features
- Selectable Crossovers: The WS-12 has selectable crossovers every 20 Hz between 40 Hz and 140 Hz.
- Gain Adjustment: 6 dB steps allow easy adjustment between free space, against walls, or in corners.
- Polarity: Reverse the sub’s polarity for better phase response in your system.
- Footswitch: Bypass the sub at the press of a button to listen to your mix on full-range speakers. The sub turns off, and output signal is no longer high passed when bypassed.
Kali Audio WS-12 Subwoofer Specifications
- Powered: Yes
- Amp Class: D
- Continuous Power: 500W
- Peak Power: 1000W
- Driver Size: 12 Inches
- Freq Response: (-10 dB): 23Hz - 160 Hz
- Freq Response: (+/-3 dB): 30Hz - 160 Hz
- Crossover: Selectable; See User's Manual
- Max SPL: 123dB
- Unbalanced Inputs: Stereo RCA
- Balanced Inputs: Stereo TRS/XLR Combo Jack
- Balanced Outputs: Stereo XLR
- XLR Pass-Through Noise: .09 mV; 99 dB Signal-to-Noise
- THD: <2% (95 dB @1m w/100 Hz crossover)
- Other Inputs/Outputs: 1/4-Inch Footswitch Input
- Enclosure: 18mm Plywood
- Height: 19.2 Inches
- Depth: 20.5 Inches
- Width: 17.2 Inches
- Weight: 63 Lbs (29kg)