The Kali Audio IN-8 V2 Studio Monitors are the most innovative studio monitors ever made. Combining the natural advantages of a 3-way design with hyper-realistic imaging of a co-axial mid-range and tweeter, they offers more transparency, lower distortion, and a soundstage that must be heard to be believed.
The IN-Series monitors are unlike anything you’ve ever heard. The three-way design lets both the woofer and the tweeter do less work, resulting in better headroom and lower distortion across the frequency spectrum. At the same time, the coaxial architecture of the midrange and tweeter result in hyper-realistic imaging. This means that you’ll be able to hear subtle details in your mix with pinpoint precision. The design of the system comes together to allow the IN-Series monitors to act as acoustic point sources. They enjoy all the benefits of both traditional 3-way systems and traditional coaxial speakers, with none of the drawbacks traditionally associated with either. All of this make the IN-5 and IN-8 extremely accurate and easy to mix on. You’ll be able to work faster and with more confidence, and your mixes are going to translate to other systems with less work.
The single most important aspect of a studio monitor is its accuracy. A good studio monitor should present the material it’s playing faithfully, allowing you to make critical decisions that you know will translate to all the systems that your work will ultimately be played on. Not only do the IN-Series monitors accomplish this, but their coincident architecture allow them to be more accurate than other speakers in a wider variety of challenging acoustic environments.
We know. We keep harping on about the “hyper-realistic” imaging of the IN-Series. What does that mean? When you listen to a stereo set of speakers, you’re hearing information about where instruments and players were placed when the material was recorded. Even with purely digital material, producers can manipulate physical locations of elements in the mix, and you will hear these on a stereo recording. Not only does this allow producers to create interesting spatial effects, but it means that you can work faster and with more confidence. An accurate soundstage lets you “see” each element of the mix in front of you, so you can hear exactly what happens when you make changes. 2-way systems with good waveguides, like Kali’s LP-6 and LP-8, do a good job at conveying this spatial information. However, because the tweeter and woofer on those speakers (and most studio monitors!) are separate, this information gets lost in the space immediately above and below the speaker. This means that at the listening position, you’re not hearing the full stereo picture. The IN-Series solves this problem. The tweeter and midrange share an acoustic center, and the woofer is crossed over at a low-mid frequency, so the distance between the woofer and midrange is well under a quarter wavelength at the crossover point. This means that each IN-Series monitor is acoustically a point source. As such, it has the same excellent directivity that the LP-6 and LP-8 have at their sides in a full 360 degrees around the speaker. You’re hearing all of the spatial information at the listening position, so the soundstage that you hear will have every detail that’s present in the mix.
The IN-Series monitors have very low distortion. This is the result of unburdening both the woofer and the tweeter, so that both are doing less work; the tweeter is only focused on high frequencies, and the woofer only has to worry about bass. Taking up the space in between in the hero of the IN-Series: the 4-Inch, profile-optimized midrange driver. This driver has a lot of work to do. In addition to reproducing midrange frequencies, it also acts as the waveguide for the tweeter. This means that the shape needed to be precisely engineered to provide an ideal dispersion characteristic for the tweeter. It also means that the midrange needs to stay still. In many other co-axial or concentric systems, high excursion from the larger driver causes intermodulation distortion, and degrades the accuracy of the system. The midrange on the IN-Series is limited to less than 1 millimeter peak-to-peak excursion, making it acoustically stationary while still providing midrange to keep up with the powerful woofer and tweeter.
The Kali Audio IN-8 V2 Studio Monitor Features
- 8-inch powered studio monitor with coaxial 1-inch textile-dome tweeter and 4-inch optimized-profile poly-coated midrange driver
- Improves upon its predecessor with a new amplifier platform, improved transducers, and an upgraded cabinet
- Tri-amped design with integrated Class D power amp
- Ruler-flat frequency response — there’s nothing hyped about this speaker
- Exhibits negligible levels of distortion — a full 6dB lower than its nearest competitor
- Boasts 20dB of headroom while playing continuously at 85dB
- Large magnets and voice coils produce super-accurate low-end response and impressive low-frequency extension
- Coaxial design exhibits superb directivity — better than any non-coaxial design — covering your entire room uniformly
- Low-noise port tube yields clean, punchy bass with zero chuffing
- Boundary EQ enables you to tailor the speaker to any environment
- LF/HF trims for fine-tuning the speaker’s response
- Balanced XLR and TRS inputs, and an unbalanced RCA input
The Kali Audio IN-8 V2 Studio Monitor Specifications
- Powered: Yes
- Power Configuration: Tri-amped LF
- Driver Size: 8" Woofer LF
- Driver Type: Poly-coated Paper MF
- Driver Size: 4" MF
- Driver Type: Poly-coated Paper HF
- Driver Size: 1" Tweeter HF
- Driver Type: Textile LF
- Driver Power Amp: 60W MF
- Driver Power Amp: 40W HF
- Driver Power Amp: 40W
- Total Power: 140W Class D
- Frequency Range: 45Hz-21kHz (±3 dB)
- Frequency Response: 37Hz-25kHz (-10 dB)
- Maximum Peak SPL: 117 dB SPL @ 1m
- Input Types: 1 x XLR, 1 x RCA, 1 x 1/4"
- Enclosure Type: Front Ported
- Height: 17.75"
- Width: 10"
- Depth: 11.25"
- Weight: 23 lbs.
The Kali Audio IN-8 V2 Studio Monitor Includes
- 2x IN-8 V2 Studio Monitor
- 2x Local Power Cable
- 2x Quickstart Guide
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Incredible stereo image.Jan 8th 2021
These monitors are an amazing value. Very detailed stereo image and a pleasant but mostly flat frequency response. Not your typical smiley face curve you get with a lot of low end speakers. A little bit of low mid coloration probably due to cabinet material. The most important thing is how well these speakers make your mixes translate to the real world.