The Golden Age COMP-3A Compressor is a one channel vintage style Compressor / Leveler. The signal path uses only discrete components like resistors, capacitors and transistors. The input and output is transformer balanced, using two different transformers, each one optimized for its purpose. This is the way audio components were built before integrated circuits became available.
Integrated circuits are small and cheap and widely used in most modern designs. The drawback is that audio components built with modern technology doesn´t always provide the best perceived sound quality or the type of character that the modern user desires. The subjective sound quality delivered by vintage equipment is often prefered over the one delivered by modern units, a situation that is even more obvious now when music is recorded with clean-sounding digital audio equipment. This is the reason why so many vintage audio components are cloned and produced again and also why the vintage originals are often very expensive on the second hand market.
The circuit used in the Golden Age COMP-3A Compressor is based on a classic design that uses an electro-luminescent panel and a photoelectric cell to control gain. This gives the COMP-3A a unique, program dependent compression characteristics. In addition, the vintage style signal path adds a wonderful and musical character to the sound. The ease of use with only two main controls makes it very simple to achieve the desired sound. These attributes has made the original units a favourite of engineers and musicians worldwide.
This classic sound is now available at a very affordable price point with the Golden Age COMP-3A Compressor.
Golden Age COMP-3A Compressor Features
- Vintage style electronics. No integrated circuits in the signal path.
- Transformer balanced input and output. Can drive almost any load balanced or unbalanced.
- Selectable output transformer loading resistors by an internal jumper, will affect the high end frequency response.
- Uses a classic T4-style electro-optical attenuator to control gain with program dependent attack and release times.
- Very simple to operate with only two main controls, Gain and Peak Reduction.
- HF control can make the side-chain circuit more sensitive to mid and high frequency content.
- A big meter selectable to show gain reduction or output level at two different reference levels.
- Hardwire bypass switch for easy comparisons.
- XLR and TRS input and output jacks for flexible connections.
- Link jack and switch for connecting to another unit for stereo operation.
- All external controls located on the front panel.
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers.
- Compact 2RU half rack format. Two units can be mounted with our 19-inch rack kit, the UNITE BIG.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.
Golden Age COMP-3A Compressor Includes
- COMP-3A Compressor
- Power Cable
- Manual and Warranty Information
What We Think - Golden Age COMP-3A Review
Golden Age is one of the few manufacturers to take on recreating the classic LA-3A compressor. While I haven't had the pleasure of comparing the two side by side, I can tell you that I love using the Golden Age Comp-3A! It's fantastic on many different sources - acoustic guitars, bass and even vocals. In my experience with the COMP-3A, it does a great job taming hard pick attack and strumming when working with a dynamic acoustic performance. Limit mode is awesome and doesn’t choke the performance or get too aggressive. In fact, limit mode on a LA-3A style compressor is my go-to style of compression for high-gain guitars to tame the low end on heavy chugs – just barely knocking off a dB. It adds weight and does its job very well. Anyone would benefit having a pair of these in your studio. Check out the COMP-3A, you won’t be disappointed! - Wes DeLoach, Pro Audio Sales
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
The camp 3a is a great compressor to tame vocals and guitars. It adds a nice saturation, that helps achieve that "full and big" sound, while controlling the dynamics beautifully. The only thing i don't like about this unit, is the wall wart power supply that is a bummer.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review