Fredenstein VAS Compressor
The Fredenstein VAS Compressor is single channel FET compressor with stereo link capability. It incorporates Fredenstein's proprietary Reverse-Mancini FET architecture for increased linearity and noise performance.
The Fredenstein VAS Compressor's output stage consists of Fredenstein's high performance OPA2 discrete operational amplifier coupled to a high quality American-made steel core transformer. As all Fredenstein products, the OPA2 is not a copy of an older design, but a completely new circuitry manufactured in SMT technology. Matched and integrated dual input transistors guarantee vastly improved specifications compared to older designs. The OPA2, following the tradition of well known manufactures, is socketed and can be exchanged without tools. The industry standard pin-out makes it compatible with many manufactures. To achieve the highest sonic performance, no polarized capacitors, electrolytic or tantalum, are deployed in the signal path. Overall the Fredenstein V.A.S Compressor supports a wide variety of different sounds from smooth and clean to aggressive and smashed. As a truly flexible compressor, if features rotary controls for Input Gain, Attack Time, Release Time , Compression Ratio, Side-Chain Bandwidth (Low-Cut Filter), Make-Up gain, and Wet/Dry mixing (parallel compression) as well as illuminated switches for Bypass, Stereo link, and Side-Chain filter.
Controlling the operation of the Fredenstein V.A.S. Compressor is very easy due to its separate Gain-Reduction and Output-Level meters. Gain reduction is indicated with 12 LEDs ranging from 1 to 16 dB and the output-level in the range from -30 dB to +20dB (0 dB = +4 dBu). Other professional features are a hard bypass when powered off and a three second turn-on delay to suppress pops, as well as a remote Bypass function in Stereo link mode. Only one Bypass switch has to be engaged to put both units in Bypass mode for easy stereo confidence checks, with or without compression. For easy touring and recording around the world, the Fredenstein V.A.S. Compressor has a built-in universal power supply ranging from 90Vac to 240Vac, 50 -60 Hz.
As all Fredenstein products, the V.A.S. Comp is designed by a German-American team and manufactured in Taiwan.
Fredenstein VAS Compressor Features
- Single-channel FET compressor with stereo link capability
- Clear, vibrant, balanced sound from OPA2 discrete op-amp and steel-core output transformer
- Mix control allows you to blend your source signal for parallel-compression effects
- Side-chain input with filter allows you to trigger compression from an external signal
- LED meters display Gain Reduction and Output Level
- Ratio ranges from 2:1 to 20:1 for everything from subtle smoothing to extreme limiting
- Attack time ranges from 0.5ms to 50ms
- Release time ranges from 70ms to 2.5s
- Hard Bypass completely removes the compressor from your signal chain
- Perfect for desktop use — can also be mounted in the Fredenstein V.A.S. Rackmount Kit
- Universal power supply: 90VAC–240VAC, 50Hz–60Hz
Fredenstein VAS Compressor Specifications
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20,000 Hz, +/- 1dB
- Make-up Gain: + 20 dB
- Distortion: < 0.05%
- SNR: 90 dB (at 0dB Make-up Gain)
- Input Impedance: > 4 K Ohm
- Max. Input Level: + 26 dBu
- Output Impedance: 600 Ohms
- Max. Output Level: + 26 dBu
- Input Attenuator: - 20 dB
- Side-Chain Filter: 6 Hz to 2KHz (Sweepable)
- Attack Time: 0.5ms to 50 ms
- Release Time: 70ms to 2.5s
- Compression Ratio: 2:1 to 20:1
- Mains Voltage: 90 Vac to 240 Vac, 50 – 60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 25W max.
- L x H x D (With Feet): 200 mm x 51 mm x 170 mm
- L x H x D (Without Feet): 200 mm x 44 mm x 170 mm
- Weight: 1300 g
Fredenstein VAS Compressor Includes
- 1 x Fredenstein VAS Compressor
- 1 x IEC Power Cable
- 1 x Operating Manual
Fredenstein VAS Compressor Warranty
- 1 Year Warranty
Fredenstein VAS Compressor Downloads
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Bought this specifically to compress my kick drum on the way in... it is fantastic for that! Between the side-chain filter and/or the mix (parallel comp) dial you can easily dial in a slammin' kick that still retains the bottom end whoof! The metering is REALLY GOOD as well... single dB leds on the GR meter and similar on the OP make it really easy to see what's going on. Real built-in power supply and IEC cord rather than some wall wart BS is also appreciated. I've got this side-by side with a Golden Age Project Comp-54 doing snare duty and it sounds really SWEET but I'd say for overall build quality, control set and metering on the Fredenstein are superior. Did I mention they both have transformers? Two of these racked together in 1U would be a pretty strong value proposition...