Empirical Labs EL8X Distressor
The Empirical Labs EL8X Distressor provides all the versatility and power of the standard EL8 Distressor, but adds in two additional mods - British Mode and Stereo Image Link - for even more mojo and definition!
The Empirical Labs EL8X Distressor is the product that started it all for Empirical Labs. Born of founder Dave Derr’s love of classic compressors like the 1176, LA-2A and Gain Brain (among others), the Distressor incorporates his favorite sonic characteristics of these, along with other unique and interesting features that have made it a staple for audio engineers all over the world. With over 28,000 units in the field, it’s safe to say that the Distressor is one of the best selling high end compressors of all time... if not THE best selling. A prominent recording engineer recently wagered that there probably was not a top 40 record made in the last five years that didn’t have at least one Distressor on it.
Besides providing a wide range of control and a unique feature set, the Distressor offers a warm, vintage sound by using a custom designed gain control circuit. This “warmth” or “vintage sound” has become a major issue in the last few decades, as the super clear and linear digital technology does next to nothing to soften “harsh” sounds, nor emphasize the bass frequencies in music sources. Conversely, older analog tape, vinyl records and tube equipment could not be prevented from coloring the sound, often to the frustration of recording engineers. However, many people now realize that this coloring can be extremely pleasant and musical. Digital technology is often referred to as “cold” and “brittle” among other terms (although we prefer “unforgiving”).
Empirical Labs EL8X Distressor Features
- British Mode
- Stereo Image Link
- Eight unique and distinctive curves
- Three distortion modes
- Stereo Linking
Empirical Labs EL8X Distressor Specifications
- Freq. response is 2 Hz to 160 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3).
- Dynamic range 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode. Greater than 100 dB signal to noise in distort 3 mode.
- Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
- DC coupled output - High quality input caps.
- Input impedance is 20K Ohms, Output impedance is < 75 ohms
- Time constants - Attack range 50uS - 50mS. Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds, normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode. Time constants are dependant on ratio.
- Metal Chassis - single height 1.75" high, 10" deep, 19" wide.
- Shipping info - 12.1 lbs mono, 24.2 lbs Stereo pair. Mono box dimensions 22.5" x 18.5" x 3 1/4".
Empirical Labs EL8X Distressor Includes
- EL8X Distressor
- Power Cable
- 2 Year Warranty
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I generally like to use these on bass and drums but on certain occasions it adds the color to vocals that no other compressor can achieve. Very versatile.
The compression color in this gear sounds cleanish in a default mode, and you can add a variety of thd (total harmonic distortion) colors according to your purpose. My favorite ratio is 4:1, and I like to use it after LA-2A because DIstressor has an excellent role in polishing the raw tracks up. I prefer the overall compression color of Distressor to that of 1176.