Empirical Labs DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser
The Empirical Labs DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser is not only a problem solver of unflattering high frequencies, but it can also be used as a super high quality Hi-Pass or Low-Pass filter, as well as a coloring device to give a more analog sound to digital sources.
The Empirical Labs DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser is a multi function dynamic filtering device. Available in vertical or horizontal versions. A perfect fit for our EL500 powered rack. In its basic “DS” mode, it is an effective, level insensitive “de-esser” - a device that will adjust the high frequency gain on overly trebly or spiky vocals or other sources in an extremely musical manner. However, unlike other de-essers, the device allows for multiple use of its powerful circuitry.
Use the DerrEsser when you have a vocalist with prominent unnatural “S’s.The standard DS Mode is usually used, with the Frequency set to 2 – 6K. Adjust the threshold till the S’es are tamed and not much else is affected. The HF Limit will more generally smooth the high frequencies, gently subduing high frequencies that exceed the user adjusted threshold. Great on so many sources. The DS Mode can also help difficult problems like high hat bleed in the snare mike, or occasional SQUEEKS on an acoustic guitar or other instrument. See example settings. The HF Limit Mode is a general high frequency smoothing setting. Use it to soften the high end on zillions of sources, not just vocals. If you have a track that has high frequency spikes, or plucks, or edges, this can let you keep the air of the high end except when it really piles up.
Empirical Labs DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser Features
- Possibly the highest performance analog De-esser in existence.
- HF Lim Mode, as well as standard De-Ess
- A “BAD!” Hard Clip Indicator light
- Unity Gain in and out
- Foolproof operation
- Industry standard API 500 Series Rack compatible
- True bypass
- High reliability parts and military grade switches and relays.
- High quality audio caps used internally.
- Hand built and calibrated in USA
Empirical Labs DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser Specifications
- Freq. Response is 3 Hz to 120 kHz (-3dB points).
- Dynamic Range - 115 dB from maximum output (.5%THD soft clipping) to minimum output. Noise floor typically – 93dBu.
- Distortion Ranges between .0035% and .01% depending on mode and settings.
- DC coupled Input and Outputs
- Input Balanced, Output single ended but with balanced impedance. It can be made differential by moving a jumper on the board.
- Input Impedance is 20k Ohm. Output impedance is less than 51 ohms.
- D-S Dynamics Time Constants - Attack time is less than 1mS. Release .04 sec, fixed internally.
- Power Consumption – 8 Watts max. 4 Watts Typical
Empirical Labs DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser Includes
- DerrEsser 500-Series DeEsser
- 3 Year Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review