Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip
The Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip has it all. From it's transformer based low noise pre-amp with digital precision stepped gain, to the harmonic distortion saturator, Distressor like compressor, high filter, and parallel processing blend knob - the EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip has the features to shape your sound.
The Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip is a super low noise transformer input amplifier section with the gain under precise digital control. The signal to noise far exceeds any microphone in existence. Having used many mic preamps over the years, we’ve implemented a unique stepped gain control that should be impervious to the normal flakiness that age causes to pots and detented switches. A “Bad!” LED indicates when the input signal is overloading the circuit.
When the engineering team at Empirical Labs sets out to build a microphone preamp, you can be sure it’ll deliver spectacular sound, be effortless to work, and will provide features unlike any other device in its class. To that end, we proudly present Mike-E, a high performance transformer-coupled mic preamp with a noise floor far below any microphone’s self noise, combined with a one-of-a-kind compressor/saturator circuit that delivers classic knee compression as well as versatile tonal ‘coloring’ that can replicate many of the best characteristics of vintage analog recording equipment.
In today’s modern age of digital recorders, DAWs and software plug-ins, Mike-E is the ultimate solution for getting a clean and strong, yet warm and musical signal into the box…and it couldn’t be easier to work – its front panel layout is so straight ahead that even inexperienced engineers will have no problem moving around on it right away.
Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip Features
- Mic Preamplifier with super low noise and stepped gain switching.
- Built in ‘Direct Box’, called the ‘Inst In’, offers unparalleled distortion, noise, and frequency response when pre-amping instruments.
- ‘Colored’ 80Hz High pass filter emulates the warm low frequency cut of our favorite vintage equalizers.
- Phase Switch to invert the audio signal 180 degrees.
- CompSat offers both a musical Compressor/Limiter and a unique tape-like saturation circuit.
- Emphasis high-frequency emphasis system softens high frequency ‘pile-ups’ and further the creamy color of the Mike-E.
- Mix Control allows the blending of the Compressed/Saturated signal with the clean unprocessed “Dry” signal.
Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip Specifications
- Freq. Response is 3 Hz to 200 kHz on (No CompSat). CompSat is 3Hz – 150Khz. Optional Transformer output is 6Hz–80kHz.
- Signal to Noise - 130 dB signal to Noise.at 40dB gain. Maximum output is +28dBu.
- Distortion Ranges between .0006% and 15% depending on mode and settings.
- Transformer coupled Input, Active and Transformer Outputs available. High quality audio caps used internally.
- Input Impedance is above 600 Ohms at all frequencies, transformer coupled. Output impedance is less than 38 ohms. Instrument In Impedance is 332K Ohms.
- Attack/Decay Ranges - .9 – 70mS attack. .15 – 1 Sec.
- Power Consumption – 15 Watts Max.
Empirical Labs EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip Includes
- EL-9 Mike-E Channel Strip
- Power Cable
- 2 Year Warranty
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review