The dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser is designed for naturally and transparently controlling excessive high-frequency energy in vocals, acoustic guitars, and other audio sources. With pro features for de-essing, the dbx 520 is an indispensable creative tool for your sound processing and music production needs.
The dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser will help you expertly tame the excessive sibilance often found in vocals and other high frequency dense material. Based upon the legendary dbx 902, the dbx 520's unique features make it possible to achieve an exact amount of de-essing regardless of variations in signal levels. The dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser allows you to create brilliant, crisp vocals without sibilance!
With its modular 500 Series based design, the dbx 520 examines the differences in dB between the high frequency and full-bandwidth portions of a signal, allowing de-essing of signals which change in level by as much as 60dB. It features a Frequency Control with range from 800Hz to 8kHz, Gain Reduction Metering and a De-essing Amount Range from 0dB to 20dB.
Control your vocals, drums, percussive instruments and problematic material/reverb combinations with the dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser!
dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser Features
- Based on the classic dbx 902
- Frequency Control Range from 800Hz to 8kHz
- Expanded Scale LED Gain Reduction Metering
- De-essing Amount Range from 0dB to 20dB
- In/Out Switch
- HF Mode Switch
dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser Specifications
- Input Type: Electronically balanced/unbalanced, RF filtered
- Input Impedance: 20 k O balanced, 10 k O unbalanced
- Max Input Level: +22 dBu
- CMRR: >40 dB; typically >55 dB at 1 kHz
- Output Type: Electronically balanced/unbalanced, RF filtered
- Output Impedance: Balanced 30O , unbalanced 15O
- Max Output Level: +22 dBu
- Frequency Response: 20Hz 20kHz, + 0/-0.5dB; 14 Hz 120 kHz, +0/-3 dB
- Noise: <-99 dBu, Unweighted (22 Hz 22 kHz)
- THD+Noise: <0.006% typical, No compression, 1 input kHz at 0 dBu
- Dynamic Range: >114 dB
- Gain: Unity
- Crossover Point: Variable 800 Hz to 8 kHz
- Crossover Filter Type: 12 dB/octave, phase coherent
- De-essing Range: Operates uniformly over input range of -40 dBu to +22 dBu without requiring adjustment
- Maximum Attenuation: Variable 0 to 20 dB
- Attack Rate: Program-dependent, 2 ms for 10 dB above threshold, 600 µs for 20 dB above threshold, to achieve 63% gain reduction
- Release Rate: 925 dB/sec
- Controls: Frequency, Range
- Switches: In/Out, Mode (HF Only/Normal)
- Indicators: In/Out, HF Only
- Metering: LED Column: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 dB gain reduction
- Power Requirements: +/- 16V DC
- Power Current Draw: 76 mA per power rail
- Power Draw: 2.4 watts
- Rack System Compatibility: 500 Series Compatible Power-frame
- Rack Space: 1 Slot
- Dimensions: (H x W x D) 5.25 x 1.5 x 6 (13.34 cm x 3.81 cm x 15.24 cm)
- Weight: 1.3 lbs (0.59 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 1.7 lbs (0.77 kg)
dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser Includes
- dbx 520 500-Series De-Esser Unit
- Printed Operation Manual
- Warranty Registration Card
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I use my dbx de esser in almost every vocal session i have in my studio. Works amazing, sounds really natural and helps to control the “essing” when recording. I use it after my preamp, and before the compressor and it sounds great.
Thanks for the gear this transaction was so smooth.