Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone
The Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone is a professional boundary layer microphone and an industry standard stage floor microphone. Capable of withstanding up to 120dB SPL without distortion, the PCC-160 incorporates a bass-tilt switch that allows the user to tailor the low-end response for particular applications.
The Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone is a surface-mounted half-supercardioid microphone intended for professional applications on stage floors, lecterns, conference tables, and news desks wherever improved gain-before-feedback and articulation are important.
Similar to the Pressure Zone Microphone®(PZM®), the Crown PCC-160 Supercardioid Boundary Microphone is designed to be used on a relatively large boundary surface. Unlike the PZM, the Phase Coherent Cardioid uses a subminiature supercardioid mic capsule. Its directional polar pattern improves gain-before-feedback, reduces unwanted room noise and rejects sounds from the rear. Surface-mounting creates a "half-supercardioid" polar pattern and increases directivity 3 dB. Since the microphone capsule is placed on a boundary, direct and refl ected sounds arrive at the diaphragm in-phase. This coherent addition of direct and refl ected waves increases sensitivity 6 dB and prevents phase cancellations. The mic capsule is small enough to ensure phase coherency up to the highest frequencies in the audible spectrum, resulting in a wide, smooth frequency response free of phase interference. Clarity and reach are also enhanced. Self-contained electronics eliminate the need for an in-line preamp box.
The Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone can be phantom powered directly from the console or other remote power source providing 12 to 48 volts. If battery power is required, a battery supply unit can be inserted anywhere in the mic line right up to the console or mixer. A "bass tilt" switch allows the user to tailor the low-end response for particular applications. Thanks to its low profile and black finish, the microphone becomes almost invisible in use. A side-mounted connector complements the form factor of the Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone, allowing the unit to be placed effectively at the stage edge, at the top of a lectern or in other tight spots. If desired, the cable can be hard-wired for bottom entry.
The Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone is finished in off-white to blend with church altars and other surroundings where lighter color is appropriate. The heavy-gauge, all steel body protects the unit from accidental abuse. Permanent mounting is enabled by screw holes in the base. Engineering attention-to-detail has assured years of trouble-free use from this reliable microphone.
Capable of withstanding up to 120 dB SPL without distorting, the Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone will never overload in practical use. Its electret condenser capsule provides a wide, smooth frequency response from 50 Hz to 18 kHz. RFI suppression is included. Self-noise is low, and sensitivity is very high to override mixer noise in distant-miking applications. Output impedance is 150 ohms, balanced.
Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone Features
- Industry-standard stage floor microphone
- Phase Coherent Cardioid design prevents coloration from surface sound reflections
- High output overrides mixer input noise
- Supercardioid polar pattern rejects the pit orchestra and offers high gain-before-feedback
- A low profile microphone having rugged structure
- Three-position bass-tilt switch for optimized body noise suppression
Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone Specifications
- Manufacturer: Crown
- Product: PCC-160 Boundary Microphone
- Type: Phase Coherent Cardioid
- Element: Electret condenser
- Frequency Response(Typical): 50 Hz to 18,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern: Half-supercardioid (supercardioid in the hemisphere above the primary boundary)
- Impedance: 150 ohms (nominal), balanced (recommended load impedance 1000 ohms or greater)
- Open-Circuit Sensitivity(Typical): 22 mV/Pa (33dB re 1 volt/Pa)
- Power Sensitivity: 30.5 dB re 1 mW/Pa. EIA rating 125 dBm
- Equivalent Noise Level(Self-noise): 22 dB SPL typical (0 dB=0.0002 dyne/cm2), A-weighted
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 72 dB at 94 dB SPL
- Maximum SPL: 120 dB SPL at 3% THD
- Operating Voltage: Phantom power, 12-48 volts DC on pins 2 and 3 with respect to pin 1
- Current Drain: 4 mA nominal
- Connector: Switchcraft TB3M
- Cable: 15-foot, black, 2-conductor shielded cable with Switchcraft TA3F and A3M connectors
- Materials: All steel body construction
- Finish: PCC-160: black. PCC-160W: off-white
- Net Weight: 11.5 ounces (326 gm)
Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone Includes
- PCC-160 Boundary Microphone
- 3 Years Warranty
Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone Downloads
- Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone Owners Manual (PDF)
- Crown PCC-160 Boundary Microphone Data Sheet (PDF)
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Three PCC-160's covered a full size outdoor stage, including a thrust. One was placed at the front edge of the thrust, and the other two at the front edge of the stage proper, on either side. Previous attempts to mic this venue using multiple condenser mics on stands did not provide consistent coverage. The PCC-160's were amazing at picking up all areas of the stage, even towards the back, far from the mics. The mic housing is tough so the mic is well protected. The only weak point would be the mini XLR cable connection which is on the end, attaching 90 degrees from the mic axis; I'd prefer that the cable exited at the back. Also, the mini XLR connection is unusual, so I'll be needing to purchase special cables if I want a back-up for the cable that came with each mic. Overall, very high quality, very sensitive. Just right for the stage.