Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor
The Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor is a high quality compressor that delivers consistent gain control without sacrificing musical definition or harmonic richness. It utilizes a remarkably dependable peak limiter that provides overload protection that is critical to digital recording and broadcast transmitters.
The Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor is engineered to provide musically transparent gain control, but is also capable of emulating vintage equipment and creating distinctive new sounds. In addition, a switchable enhancement circuit creates analog and tube-like warmth to enrich lifeless audio and digital recordings. This vast flexibility is simplified by the inclusion of several optimized presets, allowing fast, easy set-up on a wide variety of sounds. It can operate in true stereo or discrete independent mono, accessible by a front panel switch.
The Crane Song STC-8's sophisticated side-chain allows both compression and peak limiting to take place simultaneously, using the same proprietary gain control circuit. High signal quality is maintained by utilizing the discrete class A audio path and by eliminating any VCA or optical gain control elements.
The Crane Song STC-8 requires 2 rack spaces. All inputs and outputs are transformerless and balanced. The toroidal power transformer is UL approved and allows four line voltages for international use.
The "Ki" and "Hara" Mode Switches - Distortion in Compressors
Distortion in compressors is dependent on the RELEASE TIME and the KI & HARA Sounds RATIO. The higher the ratio or the faster the release time, the greater the amount of induced distortion. This distortion follows the low frequencies and the sound envelope. In all conventional compressors, tube or solid Tube Warmth state, this distortion is third harmonic. The distortion is third harmonic because of the way the control circuits and gain control elements function. Third harmonic distortion is a major part of what are called artifacts. Artifacts influence the sound of the compressor and may or may not be musical. Third harmonic distortion is not a musical artifact.
The Crane Song STC-8 has the ability to change the type of induced distortion to second harmonic. In doing this the non-musical artifact of third harmonic distortion is changed to the musically pleasing sound of second harmonic distortion. The Crane Song STC-8 is the only compressor-limiter on the market that has the ability to change the induced distortion from third harmonic to second. Changing the induced distortion from third harmonic to second harmonic results in new and different sounds and adds warmth. This change allows the use of higher compression levels with fast release times and still have the sound remain musical. This function is enabled on the Crane Song STC-8 by putting the MODE SWITCH in the KI position.
The Crane Song STC-8 is available in 3 versions: The Crane Song STC-8 Standard - Everything you've read about above with smooth, continuously variable potentiometers. Great for standard use where dialing in a sound needs precision, but not exact recall ability. The Crane Song STC-8/H is designed to offer detented output gain for utmost accuracy and resetability. The Crane Song STC-8/M features all pots with detented control. This is the ultimate Mastering Version.
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor Applications
- Digital and analog mastering
- System overload protection
- Broadcast engineering
- Project studio DAW
- Stereo bus compression
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor Features
- Simultaneous compression/limiting
- Discrete Class A
- Balanced/transformerless input/output
- Quick and easy presets
- 'KI' & 'HARA' sounds
- Transparent overload protection
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor Specifications
- Type: Floating, Balanced
- Maximum Input Level: +25 dBm
- Input Connectors: XLR, Pin 2 is Sig + , Pin 3 is Sig- , Pin 1 is GND
- Type: Floating, Balanced
- Maximum Output Level: +25 dBm
- Output Connectors: XLR, Pin 2 is Sig + , Pin 3 is Sig- , Pin 1 is GND
- Side Chain Connections:
- Type: Floating
- Balanced Connector: DB-15 Male Connector (Loop Insert & Normaled Back to STC-8)
- Unbalanced Connector: Tying the SIG- Pin to the GND Pin
- Connection as Input: Tie at the Signal Source
- Connection as Output: Tie at the STC-8 Connector
- Power: 100V, 120V, 230V, 240V; 50/60 Hz; 55 Watts
- Fuse Types: MDL .6A Fuse for 100V & 120V, MDL .3A Fuse for 230V & 240V
- Pilot Lamp: # 7335
- Shipping Weight: 19 lbs. (8.6 kg)
- Depth Behind Panel: 12.5 inches (31.75 cm) Plus Cabling
- Panel Height: 2 Rack Spaces
- Compressor Attack Time:
- FAST: Measured by doing 18 dB of Gain Reduction; Time: < 1mili Second (12 dB of the 18 are reached in .4mili second)
- SLOW: 6 dB of Gain Reduction; Time: 100mili Second
- Compressor Release Time:
- FAST: From 12 dB of Gain Reduction to No Gain Reduction; 11 of 12 dB are reached in 50mili Second (Non Program Dependant Release)
- SLOW: 20 Sec for Full 12 dB Release with PDR (Program Dependent Release) Enabled
- Limiter Attack Time: < 1micro Second
- Limiter Release Time: 60mili Second for 6 dB of Gain Reduction
- Maximum Signal Level: Input or Output, +25 dBm
- Noise Floor: -88 dBm Measured 20Hz to 20kHz
- Frequency Response: 5Hz to 55kHz (Hara Mode)
- Limiter Slope: Greater than 10 to 1
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor Includes
- Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor
Crane Song STC-8 Stereo Compressor Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review