AEA has just announced their new R88A ribbon microphone. The R88A is an active version of their R88MK2 passive ribbon mic. Like the R88MK2. The R88A is a stereo microphone with two ribbon motors stacked on top of each other and off-set. This allows for ease and accuracy of placement, when recording. With the R88A's handling of high SPL, this mic is perfect for any sound source, including drums.
“The new stereo R88A active ribbon microphone with custom toroid transformers captures sound as your ears hear it with an honest, open tonality. The R88A effortlessly records the sonic intricacies of drums, strings, piano, and other instruments that produce complex transients.
The extra 12dB of transformer gain is advantageous when recording quiet sources like vocals or soft acoustic guitars. The active impedance buffers help prevent noise interference on long cable runs or when operating near large lighting rigs. The R88A requires standard 48V phantom power to operate.”
The features of the R88A include:
- Same award-winning stereo perspective as the passive R88mk2
- Phantom powered (48V) version of AEA's classic R88mk2 with 12dB more transformer gain
- Compatible with any preamp and input impedance
- Fast, accurate transient reproduction
- Stereo ribbon microphone that offers a natural sound
- Captures amazingly precise stereo imagery with a single mic
- Larger-than-normal ribbon elements handle high SPLs with ease
- Figure-8, Blumlein Configuration (90 degrees) polar pattern
- 141dB Max SPL
The AEA R88A is scheduled to start shipping on January 20th, 2020. Be sure to pre-order yours today!