Avenson Audio Headphone Amp
The Avenson Audio Headphone Amp does it all - and does it without compromise at a price far less than its competition. Need lots of clean and linear power with variety of input options (balanced / unbalanced), thoughtfully enhanced with a very useful crossfeed function for simulated studio monitor listening? The Avenson Audio Headphone Amp achieves all of this with style.
Originally made for in-house testing of the STO-2 microphones, the Headphone Amp is designed to bring out the best in your headphones. The convenient 10-inch long desktop form factor, high power and transparent operation make it ideal for any high quality headphone reference system.
Two outputs allow you to drive multiple sets of headphones. The large volume knob feels nice and is easy to adjust. The push button is to engage the crossfeed circuit to reduce the extreme channel isolation that headphones exhibit. Crossfeed makes your headphones sound a bit more like listening on speakers. The Headphone Amp also features a white LED power indicator and a bright red clip indicator.
There are two sets of inputs: RCA unbalanced and 1/4″ TRS balanced. The unbalanced inputs skip the integrated balanced line reciever and can be used at the same time as the balanced inputs. The balanced inputs feature high common mode rejection and are normalled together so that plugging into one jack will put a mono signal in both ears.
Avenson Audio Headphone Amp Features
- Large volume knob. Really makes you want to turn it.
- Crossfeed switch: lets you narrow the stereo feild for less wrap-around-sound
- Indicator LEDs: red for clipping, white for power on
- Two 1/4 TRS stereo headphone outputs
- Power switch. Up is power on
- IEC power inlet. Internal jumpers allow 115VAC or 230VAC operation for worldwide use
- RCA unbalanced inputs. These feed directly into the volume control bypassing the balanced input stage
- 1/4 TRS balanced inputs. These are normalled together so that connecting only one sends the signal into both ears (for mono monitoring), but connecting the second delivers true stereo operation
Avenson Audio Headphone Amp Specifications
- Input Impedance: 48 kΩ
- Input Overload Level: +24 dBu (balanced)
- Gain (balanced /unbalanced): +17.6 dB / +20 db
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz 100 kHz (+0/-0.5 db)
- Signal to Noise: ≥ 107 dB
- Max Output Power (at 1% THD): 1.3W (33Ω load)
- Power Requirements: 115 VAC / 230VAC internally switchable 9W
- Size: 10x4.3x1.8 in (254x108x45mm)
- Weight: 2.65 lbs (1.2 kg)
Avenson Audio Headphone Amp Downloads
What We Think
The Avenson Audio Headphone Amp solves problems that many folks just don't know that they have. The assumption is often that a standalone reference headphone amplifier is an elaborate and unnecessary optional accessory. But there's value in what an untrained ear might not initially grasp. Circuit design and component quality can have a gigantic effect on ear fatigue and how long you can listen at reasonable volumes. Add to that, linear frequency response is a necessary factor in being able to make critical decisions. Brad Avenson's design delivers lots of clean power on demand (drives high impedance headphones) and the ability to connect both balanced and unbalanced inputs with the balanced inputs able to work in either mono or stereo operation.
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review