The Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitors are dynamic shielded, full range, rugged, mini-reference monitors designed for fixed or remote locations. Inspired by the 5C sound cubes, the Avantone MixCubes have become the industry standard in studios around the world.
The Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitors are originally inspired by the 5C sound cubes from decades ago, these Avantone MixCubes have become the industry standard in studios around the world and have become the #1 best selling speaker of its type in history.
To build a full range, rugged, mini-reference monitor to replace the older, aging, 5C Sound Cubes that are still in use worldwide, while offering an improved, more linear frequency response. A full year was spent studying all versions & revisions of the famous little 5C Sound Cubes. Research revealed that there were several driver versions released over the years with widely varying frequency response characteristics. The Avantone Pro chose the smoothest, most linear, full-range version of those 5C models to use as their testing benchmark. Next they analyzed their response characteristics in an anechoic chamber and proceeded to implement design upgrades. Realizing the importance of replacing a respected "industry-standard reference monitor" the Avantone Pro began by replicating its basic size, function, and sonic character.
First, the Avantone Pro addressed the Cabinet Design... The original 5C Sound Cubes were made of 1/2 particleboard covered with a glue-on wood grain contact paper. They chose to use thicker, denser MDF board because of its high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. They started with a 165mm (6 1/2") sealed cube design with radiused edges. The Avantone Pro then chose an elegant Polyurethane high gloss Retro-Cream finish. The originals had either screws or on later models plastic binding posts mounted on a recessed plastic cup. The Avantone Pro upgraded to high-end nickel plated, machined solid metal binding posts (Dual banana spacing) mounted on a black anodized ,milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next they added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded into the base of the cabinet to serve as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, they recessed an industry standard 5/8-27 mic stand mount into the base.
Second, the Avantone Pro addressed the driver design. The originals were a basic 5 stamped frame design. They designed a proprietary 5.25 die cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to exceed the performance of the originals. The mounting bezel is then polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen for its musical character, is custom designed & crafted using the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight & rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel enabling the highest modeled flux density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. High Power-low distortion motor structure.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, in this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a need to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small bass-challenged systems such as televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is always paid to the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening & tweaking went into the voicing of the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a very smooth sounding, full range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests reveal that the Avantone MixCubes have a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
Amplification & Wiring
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts on the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is best to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs longer than 6 feet.
When positioning the Avantone MixCubes on stands or console bridges it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitors Features
- 5.25" Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6 1/2" Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of "Retro-Cream" High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF cabinet sides & baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity DIE-CAST Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated "high-end" binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs) - insulated for CE compliance
- Anodized aluminum milled terminal plate
- 1/4" soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8"- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitors Specifications
- System Type: Dynamic Shielded Full-Range Pair
- Frequency Response: 90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- SPL / Sensitivity: 93dB @ 1w / 1 meter
- Recommended Power: From 10-200 watts
- Driver: 5.25" cast aluminum frame
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: 3-way CE rated plastic encased metal binding posts (accepts up to 12-gauge wire, spade lugs, dual banana plugs)
- Color: Black
- Weight: 6 lbs 11 oz (per speaker)
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" in)
Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitors Include
- Pair of Avantone MixCubes Passive Mini-Reference Monitors
- 5 Year Warranty
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Ear opening experienceJan 25th 2012
Calling this new generation of Aura-tone a "Grok Box" or a horror-tone would just be ignorant! :-) As a full range, single driver speaker , they are of course bandwidth limited . However this leaves the phase screwing crossovers out of the picture , and makes the all important mid-range perfectly naked for all to hear ! Sit yourself down ( and they are very directional so place them right !) and listen to lot's of stuff from your collection . It will become pretty apparent which mixes stand head and tails above the rest because the mediocre ones can no longer hide behind the boom and fizz!!!!!! I know it's just not very sexy to spend on something that on the surface looks like a pinto instead of a mustang , and your gear lust is directed towards other , more curvaceous or shiny items , but I highly recommend these !! Sometimes the sleepers are the ones that knock your socks off and teach you the most !!!! P.S. Thanks to Front End ; YA'LL ROCK!!