Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor
The Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor is designed to be high-resolution, full-range powered mini-reference monitor for fixed or remote locations. Inspired by the 5C sound cubes, the Avantone MixCubes has become the industry standard in studios around the world.
The Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor is perfect for active recordings and mixdown monitor applications. While originally inspired by the 5C sound cubes from decades ago, the Avantone MixCubes has become the number 1 best selling speaker of its type in history. The timeless design of the Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor compliments a single full-range transducer.
Studios primarily use 2-way & 3-way larger monitors designed to represent a wide range reference viewpoint at higher listening levels. However, in this newly developing age of High Definition Audio, there is still a need to also hear what your mix will sound like when played back over small bass-challenged systems such as televisions, clock radios, computers, car stereos, iPod docking stations, etc. It is important to make mixing judgments based partially on listening to reference monitors that will not impart tonal anomalies caused by crossovers or inferior full range drivers. Particular attention is always paid to the critical mid-range vocal/guitar/keyboard areas. This is where having a full-range monitor without a crossover is truly revealing. Ten months of R&D comparative listening & tweaking went into the voicing of the Avantone MixCubes. The result is a very smooth sounding, full range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes. Listening tests reveal that the Avantone MixCubes has a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
The original 5C Sound Cubes were made of 1/2" particleboard covered with a glue-on wood grain contact paper. The Avantone Pro choses to use thicker, denser MDF board because of its high rigidity and inherent low-resonance characteristics. They started with a 165mm (6 1/2") sealed cube design with radiused edges. They then chose an elegant Polyurethane high gloss RETRO-CREAM finish. The originals had either screws or on later models plastic binding posts mounted on a recessed plastic cup. They upgraded to high-end nickel plated, machined solid metal binding posts (Dual banana spacing) mounted on a black anodized ,milled and silk-screened aluminum terminal plate. Next they added a 7mm thick neoprene pad embedded into the base of the cabinet to serve as a skid-resistant acoustic isolator. Additionally, for creative mounting situations, they recessed an industry standard 5/8-27 mic stand mount into the base.
The originals were a basic 5 stamped frame design. The Avantone designed a proprietary 5.25" die cast aluminum frame driver/cone assembly to exceed the performance of the originals. The mounting bezel is then polished for an elegant appearance. The paper cone, chosen for its musical character, is custom designed & crafted using the finest New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for lighter weight & rigidity. The cloth surround is made in Japan to exacting uniform thickness tolerances. The Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel enabling the highest modeled flux density in the gap. The magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC) yielding a 43oz. High Power-low distortion motor structure.
The Avantone designed the amp module from the ground up to be a true professional-grade amplifier. It incorporates overkill concepts in component selection as well as safety. The result is a no-compromise amp with robust headroom characteristics that will rival the performance of much higher priced studio rack mount amps.
Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor Features
- 5.25" Shielded Active Full Range Monitor
- 6 1/2" Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of "Retro-Cream" High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF cabinet sides & baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 Grade (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity die-cast Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated "high-end" binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs) - insulated for CE compliance
- Anodized aluminum milled terminal plate
- 1/4" soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8"- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base
Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor Specifications
- System Type: Single Active (Self-powered) shielded full-range Monitor
- Frequency Response: 90Hz - 17,000Hz (useful musical range)
- Driver Impedance: Nominal 8 ohms
- Max SPL: 104db @ 1 meter = 1%THD (PINK NOISE)
- Amplifier Type: Class A/B
- Amplifier Power: 60 watts RMS@ .005% THD (1KHz)
- Amp Frequency Response: 22Hz-50KHz +0dB/- 3dB (90Hz-50KHz +/-0dB)
- Noise: S/N -113 dB
- Sensitivity: 0dBu (.775VRMS) input at maximum volume (+6dB) = 104dB SPL
- Driver: Proprietary design 5.25" cast aluminum frame / paper cone / shielded
- Cabinet: sealed / 18mm MDF / Dacron acoustical stuffing
- Inputs: XLR & TRS (Combo Jack) +4/Balanced and -10 unbalanced
- Color: Black
- Weight: 7 lb 5 oz
- Dimensions: 165mm x 165mm x 165mm (6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" in)
Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor Includes
- Signle Black Avantone MixCubes Active Mini-Reference Monitor
- Power Supply
- IEC Power Cable
- 5 Year Warranty
5 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I was searching for a mono reference speaker that could help guide my mixing to cut on small speaker systems, and this single Avantone speaker does the trick! Great customer service from Front End Audio.
Delivery was delayed because they were not in stock and we were not informed until we called.
This is the modern heir to the Auratone, better known as "horrortone" for their . . . less than audiophile sound. But the truth is, if you want mixes that translate better to real world situations, this thing is worth its weight in gold. But make sure you're sending it a mono signal!
I'm very happy with my purchase of the Avantone Mixcube (Black) from you guys, the price was right, your sells dept was very professional and the shipment came on time and in great condition. I will be ordering more from Front End Audio! Thanks Again!!
I purchased a single cube for mono reference and simple mix levels. I use an SPL 2Control. I am pleased with the response of the cube and its ability to provide a clean reference for levels. I have been using for approx 3 weeks and have saved a significant amount of time dialing in mixes that translate to other environments.