The Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone is an instrument mic with cardioid polar pattern and unique side-address stick design that maximizes placement options with minimal obstructions. It offers an uncompromising sound quality for overheads, percussion, acoustic guitar, strings and other acoustic instruments.
The Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone is equipped with an integral 80 Hz Hi-pass filter that provides easy switching from a flat frequency response to a low-end roll-off. The Audio Technica ATM450 also features a switchable 10 dB pad that lowers the microphone's sensitivity, providing higher SPL capability for flexible use with a wide range of performers and system configurations. The Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone’s extended flat frequency response makes it ideal for high SPLs as well as for live and amplified acoustic instruments. Includes a professional isolation clamp to provide secure mounting, versatile positioning and effective dampening of unwanted mechanical noise.
Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone Features
- Unique side-address stick design maximizes placement options with minimal obstructions
- Uncompromising sound quality for overheads, percussion, acoustic guitar, strings and other acoustic instruments
- Integral 80 Hz HPF switch and 10 dB pad
- Durable performance for professional applications
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source
- Rugged, all-metal design and construction for years of trouble-free use
- The included isolation clamp offers shock protection, secure mounting and easy positioning
Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone Specifications
- Element: Fixed-Charge Back Plate Permanently Polarized Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 40-20,000 Hz
- Low Frequency Roll-Off: 80 Hz, 18 dB/Octave
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: –41 dB (8.9 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
- Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Maximum Input Sound Level: 152 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% THD
- Dynamic Range (Typical): 127 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 69 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements: 11-52V DC, 3.5 mA Typical
- Switches: Flat, Roll-Off; 10 dB Pad
- Weight: 98 g (3.5 oz)
- Dimensions: 126.9 mm (5.00") Long, 21.0 mm (0.83") Diameter
- Output Connector: Integral 3-Pin XLRM-Type
- Audio Technica Case Style: S11
Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone Includes
- Audio Technica ATM450 Condenser Microphone
- Audio Technica AT8471 Isolation Clamp for 5/8"-27 Threaded Stands
- 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 Threaded Adapter
- Soft Protective Pouch
- 2 Year Warranty
7 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Don't let the price fool you, these things are great! Super articulate and very smooth sounding. They are nice and small as well, and the side-address capsule makes placement a breeze. Love these on overheads, snare, acoustic guitar, and backing vocals.
As usual, Audio Technica has made another great mic. Big sound from a diminutive mic.
Highly recommended! Durable and clear, smooth sound makes this an excellent value.
I ordered this based on the glowing reviews, figuring it was low risk. This is my fifth attempt at getting a good overhead sound, and the first "keeper" after many misses. I am using my pair in ORTF for drum overheads, but have also been happy with the detail and transparency of reproduction for close-miking individual kit pieces and wind instruments. Ease and flexibility of placement add greatly to this mic's value. Prior to this mic, I had Oktava MK219's, Shure KSM141's, Avantone CK-1's, and CAD 95's. All were brittle in the upper registers and missed critical details that required much work at the mixing stage. With the ATM450's, I barely apply any processing at all, they sit in the mix so well. As drum overheads, this is the best kit balance I have been able to achieve so far, due to the excellent transient response.
Best overheads I've ever heard for the money!
This microphone is the cheap miracle! I have been using many of these microphones for many years for recording and live performances. I have recorded symphonic orchestra - strings and winds, drums as an overheads, choir in church etc. This mic has one great feature - it's side-address. This means more space captured by this microphone and it brings some "air" and room ambience into the recording. It has 80Hz HPF and -10 dB switch, so you can use it on really loud applications, i.e. guitar amps. The microphone has been packed with great antishock-mount clip in a leather package. You can't find higher quality mic for this price!
Quite honestly, I never thought I would be satisfied with the audio quality of stereo overhead drum mic's. Up until the point that I tried the 450's, I had purchased 4 other pairs of microphones but was still unhappy with the results. Finally after reading about the ATM450's I called Front End Audio and was delighted to discover that the staff was very pleased with them so I purchased a stereo pair. As soon as they arrived, I began testing and compared them to the other mic's I had recorded. They out-performed every mic pair that I had tested producing a great balance of the entire kit and captured the defined "snare crack" that I had been seeking. The cymbals were also outstanding and there was no harshness or overly top heavy dominance of them in the mix! They have become my "go to pair" and they actually "live" over my kit in the ORTF position which seems to suit my taste the best. I give them 5 stars... they are winners and perform way beyond their price point!