Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone
The Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone is a side-address condenser microphone specially engineered to meet the most critical acoustic requirements of professional recording, broadcast and sound reinforcement. It features an advanced large diaphragm tensioned specifically to provide smooth, natural sonic characteristics.
The Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone is a perfect combination of technical precision and artistic inspiration. It offers exceptionally low noise, wide dynamic range and high-SPL capability for greatest versatility. This ultra-consistent microphone may be used with confidence in a wide variety of studio and live miking applications, even under the stringent demands of digital recording systems. The Audio Technica AT4040’s low-noise circuitry is symmetrical and transformerless, resulting in exceptional transient response and clean output signals for transparent reproduction of even the most troublesome of instruments and sound effects.
Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone Features
- Technically-advanced large diaphragm tensioned specifically to provide smooth, natural sonic characteristics
- Externally polarized (DC bias) true condenser design
- Exceptionally low noise, wide dynamic range and high-SPL capability for greatest versatility
- Transformerless circuitry virtually eliminates low-frequency distortion and provides superior correlation of high-speed transients
- Precision-machined, nickel-plated brass, acoustic element baffle provides enhanced element stability and optimal sensitivity
- Open acoustical environment of the symmetrical housing assembly minimizes unwanted internal reflections
- State-of-the-art surface-mount electronics ensure compliance with A-T's stringent consistency and reliability standards
- Custom shock mount provides superior isolation
- Switchable 80 Hz hi-pass filter and 10 dB pad
Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone Specifications
- Element: Externally-Polarized (DC Bias) Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
- Low Frequency Roll-Off: 80 Hz, 12 dB/Octave
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: -32 dB (25.1 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
- Impedance: 100 Ohms
- Maximum Input Sound Level: 145 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% THD; 155 dB SPL, with 10 dB Pad (Nominal)
- Noise: 12 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range (Typical): 133 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 82 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements: 48V DC, 4.2 mA Typical
- Switches: Flat, Roll-Off; 10 dB Pad (Nominal)
- Weight: 12.7 oz (360 g)
- Dimensions: 6.69" (170.0 mm) Long, 2.10" (53.4 mm) Maximum Body Diameter
- Output Connector: Integral 3-Pin XLRM-Type
- Audio-Technica Case Style: R1
Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone Includes
- Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone
- Audio Technica AT8449a Shock Mount for 5/8"-27 Threaded Stands
- Microphone Dust Cover
- Protective Carrying Case
- 5 Year Warranty
Audio Technica AT4040 Microphone Downloads
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I've had a pair of these mics for several years and have used them to record every source imaginable and they've performed flawlessly. I've even abused them, used them outside, thrown them around, and they still sound and even look fantastic. The low-cut is switchable, though I keep it on most of the time to get rid of the subsonic junk. The AT4040's have an interesting shock mount - the shockmount bands seem like they could be a bit fragile if you were taking them in/out a lot, but mine stay in the mounts on stands since they see so much use. I would definitely recommend this microphone for a beginner or pro.
This microphone is great for tracking vocals. It has great pick up for the mid range and the lower frequencies. I have also found this microphone to be very durable during above average temperature conditions.
I own this mic and use it primarily for vocal and guitar work. It is fantastic on a number of sources, though, a great alternative to some of the brittle chinese condensers that have recently flooded the market.