Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer
The Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer is a two channel digital equalizer with seven parametric bands. With exclusive digital inputs/outputs, the EQ1-MK2 is the reference equalizer when it comes to digital mastering EQs.
The Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer is the basic model with minimum phase type filters. The double sampling Gambit Series EQ1-DS has now been upgraded to the Weiss EQ1-MK2. Like the old EQ1-DS, the Weiss EQ1-MK2 supports 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz sampling frequencies, always using either 88.2 or 96kHz for internal processing. This is responsible for the well-renowned sound of the high resolution units and is the difference to the standard sampling EQ1. The Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer works at up to 24 Bit/96 kHz.
Adding to the high resolution processing, the Weiss EQ1-MK2 now features an extended parameter set, significantly increasing the number of possible eq settings, as well as a new operational mode for processing stereo signals in the M/S domain (as compared to processing in the L/R domain).
The Q now reaches from a near whole-bandwidth-covering 0.20 to a needle-like 650 in 128 steps, allowing everything from subtle sound colouring to notch filter tone removal. The boost varies in 0.1 dB steps from -39dB (for notching) to +18dB. To compensate for the extremely accurate notch filter type, the frequency resolution has been doubled, now running from 14Hz to 21kHz in 12th octave steps plus including special notch frequencies such as 50 and 60 Hz and their harmonics.
A further new feature is the settable shape parameter for shelving filters, which has the same resolution and a similar effect as the Q parameter for the presence filter type.
Combined with the flexibility of seven independent bands per channel, the mastering engineer can now twist the transfer curve to his exact specifications.
Basic EQ1 Functions
The basic model Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer features the seven identical parametric bands, i.e. all seven bands cover the entire audio frequency range. Each band has Boost/Cut, Frequency and Q/Slope knobs and operates in any of the following modes: High shelving, low shelving, peaking, high cut, low cut, bypass.
There are seven times three knobs in order to have one knob per parameter operation. The knobs are touch sensitive to switch the LCD to display the parameters of the touched band. The LCD shows the overall frequency response, the detailed parameter values and various status information.
Snapshots, MIDI, Metering
The Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer also features an A/B compare memory, a 128 position snapshot bank with two additional banks for back-up (can also be dumped/recovered via MIDI), a peak meter with over indicators, MIDI control for each parameter, an overall bypass switch and an overall gain control, a channel ganging switch.
Signal Processing, Connectivity
The internal processing is done at 88.2 or 96 kHz in a 40 Bit floating-point format. A very low noise filter architecture optimized for audio is used. The digital input/output are in AES/EBU format on XLR connectors. The AES/EBU output can be POW-R dithered to 16, 20 or 24 Bits.
The EQ1 can be switched to M/S mode which is especially useful for the dynamic model of the EQ1. Other specialties are variable slope shelving filters and very high Q (up to 650) peaking filters for notching out offending frequencies.
Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer Features
- Two channel digital equalizer
- A perfect tool for the recording and mastering engineer
- 7-Bands per channel, individually configurable as low cut, high cut, low shelving, high shelving or peaking filter
- The filter topology used is a very low noise filter structure for a state of the art performance
- Both channels can be controlled separately or ganged together at the touch of a button
- Large CFL LC display and the one-knob-per-parameter operation
- Combine speed and ease of use with complete control over audio processing
- Ability to remote control parameters and snapshot
Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer Specifications
- AES/EBU Input:
- Sampling frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz
- Maximum input word-length: 24 Bits
- Channel Status Data: Input accepts professional or consumer format
- Channel Status Data Bits Forwarded to AES/EBU Output: See table in provided manual
- Connector: XLR female
- AES/EBU Output:
- Sampling Frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz (always the same as the input)
- Output Word-Length: 24 Bits
- Connector: XLR male
- AES/EBU Channel Status Data Conversion:
- From Consumer to Professional
- From Professional to Consumer
- Transparent mode
- Mains Voltage: 115 V or 230 V with voltage selector
- Fuse Rating: 500 mA slow blow
- Power Consumption: 40 VA max.
- Depth: 30 cm
- Width: 43,3 cm (19")
- Height: 8,8 cm (2HU)
Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer Includes
- Weiss EQ1-MK2 Unit
- Printed User Manual
Weiss EQ1-MK2 Equalizer Downloads
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review