Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Tube Microphone
The Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Tube Microphone provides a perfect blend between a robust vintage tone, and modern details. The rich smooth character of the V13 makes it a stellar microphone for both male and female vocals, acoustic instruments, guitar cab, and drums. Giving you the depth and range of the source, without losing the nuances - all with a silky vibe.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V13 is a large-diaphragm multi-pattern valve condenser microphone. Crafted by experts over the course of 2 years, it combines vintage warmth with smooth modern detail. After extensive testing and listening by world-class engineers, we can say with pride that the performance of this mic will rival or exceed that of both iconic vintage and modern microphones at a fraction of the cost.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V13 is very different from other mics in its price range. It is designed and precision-built in limited quantities to no-compromise standards. Vanguard Audio Labs started with an extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule assembly and custom-voiced it with a proprietary hand-tuning process, placing it in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections. They then designed a circuit that matches the unique musical properties of our capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world. They cryogenically treated critical components in the signal path, including a hand-selected European vacuum tube. They placed the low-frequency roll-off and -10dB pad toggle switches on the rear of the microphone, where they are easily accessible to the engineer. They topped off the electronics with an ultra-linear, fully shielded, custom-wound, dual-bobbin humbucking transformer for the output stage to drive long cable runs. Aesthetically, the precision-machined brass body is coated with a signature Pinot Noir, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Machined into the rear of the microphone is a cooling vent to prolong tube life. Your V13s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone. The V13 was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of experience and vetted by world-famous award-winning engineers and producers.
The Vanguard Audio Labs V13 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. Vanguard Audio Labs performs 100% quality control every single microphone undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests in Southern California before being hand-packed. Every part of the V13 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-specced. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Brass, steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction.
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Tube Microphone Features
- Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 9 polar patterns (selectable at power supply)
- Vacuum tube analog circuitry with premium-grade components
- Hand-selected European vacuum tube
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal path components
- Transformer-coupled output humbucking, shielded, dual-bobbin transformer
- -10dB pad and low-frequency rolloff toggle switches
- Robust power supply design for ultra-low noise floor
- Heavy-duty brass, aluminum, steel, and zinc metal construction
- Rear venting to prolong tube and component life
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and open-air voicing
- Each V13 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- 100% Quality Control
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Tube Microphone Specifications
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Valve/Tube, Transformer-Coupled Output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: 134dB (144dB with pad)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: 13dB (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: 82dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Sensitivity: -35dBV
- Output Connector: Male XLR 7-pin gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: 125Hz (6dB/octave)
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 1.07 lbs / 0.48kg
- Weight (in case): 11.67 lbs / 5.29kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 8.18″ long, 1.98″ diameter / 208mm long, 50.5mm diameter
- Dimensions (case): 16.73″L x 12.80″W x 5.25″H / 425mmL x 325mmW x 142mmH
- Voltage Requirement: 110-240V
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Tube Microphone Includes
- PS-13 Power Supply
- VLSM Large Shockmount
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box
- Locking Aluminum Carrying Case
- 7-Pin Microphone Cable
- Power Cable
- 5-Year Warranty
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 Tube Microphone Downloads
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is *the* tube mic to get for under 1K if you are considering any new purchase. Put aside that it is drop dead sexy, the build is rock solid, the power supply feels like it used to be part of a battleship the SOUND of this mic is amazing. It is open and detailed, SUPER low noise, so much so I wasn't sure it was even on at first. Vox were very present but did not sound hyped. Hands down my favorite when compared to several other mics in this range. Did I mention it is drop dead sexy?
Bought the mic on the advice of a family member. Outstanding, natural sound reproduction. Mic pattern selector is very usable (second to the left seems to be best). Used to own Neumanns of various types. This one will keep up with those very well. Excellent piece of gear for the price.
So I finally got a chance to use this mic on vocals, background vocals and an acoustic guitar! This mic has exceeded all of my expectations! I have to admit I was skeptical, but after being in the music business for over 30 years, this mic is the last one I ever need to own! This mic just sounds sweet! This is the best mic I have ever used under $10,000! This one cost under $1,000 and worth every penny! I have used, AKG414 vintage and new, U87, 251s, U47 & U67s vintage and new, and the new love of my life besides my gal is the Vanguard V13! This mic has a sound all it's own and is so very, very special in it's own right! Warm, pleasing and sweet! Thank you, Warren for steering me here, it's because I trust you, otherwise I never would have even tried it! Thank you Vanguard Audio Labs, you guys are it for me!