Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel
The Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel, the same preamp and compressor as the original LA-610 that users have come to know and love, with user-requested features such as true compressor bypass, larger metering, improved output signal, an auto-sensing power supply!
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel Details
The Universal Audio LA-610 defined the affordable, ultimate vintage tone channel strip. So how can UA improve on tonal perfection and what was already a hit product? Enter the sequel... LA-610 Mk II, a second-generation revamp of the original 2005 LA-610 design. While the preamp and compressor are identical to the original LA-610 that users have come to know and love, user-requested features such as true compressor bypass, larger metering, improved output signal, an auto-sensing power supply have been added bringing the end user an enhanced user experience. The LA-610 Mk II also features the highly popular "black on black" cosmetics of the LA-610 Signature Edition.
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel Features
- Based on Legendary Bill Putnam 610 Tube Mic Pre and EQ Used on Countless Classic Recordings
- Authentic Teletronix LA-2A-style T4 Opto-Compressor
- Complete Vintage Channel-Strip at Groundbreaking Price Within Project Studio Reach
- Mic Pre with Gain and Level Controls, Variable Impedance and Instrument DI for Recording Tone "Color"
- Mk II Features Such as True Bypass, Larger Metering and Improved Signal Output
- UA Quality and Heritage, Audiophile Components, Hand-Assembled in the USA
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel Improvements
- True Bypass of the Compressor Circuit
- Larger and Better-Lit Metering
- Improved Output Signal Performance
- Auto-Sensing Universal Power Supply
- Improved Stability With Feedback-Style Shelving EQ
- Improved Consistency With Input Gain Values
- LED Jewel Light Never Needs Replacing
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel General
- Mic, Line and Hi-Z Input, Line Output
- Dual Impedance Mic and Hi-Z Inputs (Mic: 2k, 500Ohms; Hi-Z: 2.2M, 47kOhms)
- 5-Position Stepped Preamp Input Gain, Continuous Preamp Output Level
- -15dB Pad Switch (15dB Pad/Off)
- Phase Reverse (0/180 degrees)
- 48 volt Phantom Power Switch (+48v/Off)
- +/- 9 dB Stepped High Shelving Filter (4.5, 7, 10 kHz)
- +/- 9 dB Stepped Low Shelving Filter (70, 100, 200 Hz)
- T4 Optical Compressor With Continuous Peak Reduction and Makeup Gain
- Compress/Limit/Bypass Modes of Dynamic Operation (3:1)
- Meter Source Selector Switch (Preamp/Gain Reduction/Compressor)
- Front Panel Power Switch (On/Off)
- Custom Altran and Cinemag Transformers
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel Specifications
- Microphone Input Impedance: Selectable, 500 Ohm or 2k Ohm
- Balanced Line Input Impedance: 20k Ohm
- Hi-Z Input Impedance: Selectable, 2.2M Ohm or 4 k Ohm
- Maximum Microphone Input Level: -8 dBu (2k input impedance and 15dB Pad in)
- Maximum Output Level: 80 dB
- Recommended Minimum Load: 600 Ohm
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +0.5 dB
- Maximum Gain: 40 dB (line), +77dB (mic)
- Noise Floor: -72 dBu, 20 Hz to 20 kHz (line in, unity gain)
- Compressor Ratio: 3:1, soft knee, program dependent
- Limiter Ratio: Infinity: 1, soft knee, program dependent
- Attack Time: 10 ms, program dependent
- Release Time: Dual stage: 60 ms for 1st release, then 1 - 15 sec.
- Tube Complement: (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7, (1) EL84
- Power Requirements: 100V / 120V / 240V
- Power Consumption: 30 Watts
- Power Connector: Detachable IEC power cable
- Dimensions: 19" W x 3.5" H x 12.25" D (two rack spaces)
- Weight: 12 lbs.
Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Classic Tube Recording Channel Downloads
What We Think - Universal Audio LA-610 MKII Review
"Without a doubt, the Universal Audio LA610mkII is one of the best possible deals in channel strips available. Seriously, what's not to like? You get THE quintessential tube microphone preamplifier, the 610, combined with a special design tube-opto limiting amplifier that delivers performance in a fashion reminiscent of the classic LA-2A - though a bit more aggressive in it's character. If you are looking for a good vocal channel strip that has some good old fashioned "non-hokey", classic American tube sound, and supremely musical character, then you really need to put this one at the top of your list."
Front End Audio
14 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
If you want a quality mic/line pre with the option of a high end compressor, look no further. This is the one, UA is the best.
First pro pre-amp I purchased. It's pretty tube-y if you want it to be and can be driven hard for a little fuzz. The EQ is broad and I tend to be very conservative with it and the LA-2A style limiter adds some nice control.
I had a CADM179 that died after an hour of use. I contacted Front End and they provided the information I needed to ship the product back. Time went on and I wasn't getting around to it, then one day the replacement showed up! I was impressed! Taking the initiative to send the replacement microphone when I was dropping the ball was really great. I love vintage king but now I shop here first. Thanks!
Great pre-amp. Smooth and up front vocals and killer bass tracks as well.
I'm privledged enough to have some pretty great preamps in my small studio's rack, and I'm happy to say I think the LA-610 is one of them. The clear, rich and dimensional sound of the pre itself is great enough; I especially love using it when recording vocals (especially ballads), acoustic guitars, and drum overheads. But the unit's built-in EQ settings can also be useful for basic low-end tailoring or for adding a bit of "air" to the highs. And while the 610s compressor/limiter isn't right for every application (what compressor is?), it's pretty easy to use it for smoothing out highly dynamic material. It's an extremely well built unit by a classy company. It's an absolutely stellar value for the money; highly recommended!
This has been my go to channel strip for electric guitars, and Bass DI. Sounds great for vocals too. You make your guitars sound really fat. Bass will give you a very pillowy sound without losing the tone of the instrument. Highly recommended.
This unit has a very warm, tube sound. It is a great choice for producing thick vocal tracks. The EQ is useful, the compressor is stunning and the pre itself is thick and warm. Highly recommended!
I've been working with the LA-610 for about 5 weeks now and absolutely love it. It excels on both vocals and bass tracks. I've also used it on some drum and guitar cab tracks with some success but it is hit or miss there. No one product will be great on everything and I didn't expect it to be.
On vocals it seems to smooth out harsh sources and provides a nice comfortable sound that fits great in the mix. On bass the sound is full, complex and plenty of balls.
It is certainly colored for a pre-amp but in a great way and should easily fit into anyone's crayon box.
The LA-610 MKII is by far your best choice for a professional, high-end entry-level-price channel strip. The sound is without a doubt UA and provides that rich / expensive quality you are looking for. Build quality is solid, and the tubes are fantastic. You can run everything from vocals to drums through this beauty and will benefit substantially. For $1599, this is a 'no brainer' in my book.