TK Audio DP2 Preamp
The TK Audio DP2 Preamp is a unique hybrid design including both vintage and modern circuits built around two SP501 modules.
The midrange crunch of the germanium sound of the mid 60’s, the low mid punch and thick sound associated with British class-A from the early 70’s as well as the more modern tone from the 80’s and 90’s.
The input stage is built around a high quality Swedish Lundahl transformer and a hi-gain input stage followed by a selectable germanium circuit that adds more harmonics. Two different output stages can be selected – either an electronically balanced stage, or a discrete Carnhill transformer-balanced class-A stage. The vintage class-A mode produces a fat and punchy sound with mid-range character and a warm top end, while the electronically balanced output stage is less colored and perfect for clean amplification.
With up to 80 dB gain the DP-2 can handle quiet sound sources like ribbon microphones. High impedance inputs are positioned on the front for easy access when connecting guitar, bass or synthesizers. It’s also possible to crank up the input gain really loud and run a hot signal through the preamp to make it distort, and then use the output volume control to lower the output level. DP2 offers a unique set of flavors at a very sensible price.
The major updates from the DP1mk3 to DP2 are a sweepable HPF from 30Hz to 400Hz which allows precision crafting of the low end, and a separate switch to activate the instrument input. The power supply has also been updated to for lower noise.
TK Audio DP2 Preamp Features
- Lundahl-input transformer and Carnhill output transformer
- Selectable output stages, transformer balanced class-A or electronically balanced
- Selectable germanium circuit for extra harmonics
- Sweepable High Pass filter, 30Hz-400Hz, 12dB/oct
- High gain (up to 80dB)
- Hi-Z instrument input (2Mohm)
TK Audio DP2 Preamp Features Specifications
- Gain switch in 5dB steps. -25 to 80dB. +5dB to -50 with pad
- -30dB pad
- 48v phantom power
- Selectable output stage: vintage transformer balanced class-A or electronically balanced
- Germanium drive: inserts a germanium gain stage after the input stage
- Sweepable high pass filter, 30-400Hz, 12dB sloop
- Polarity switch
- Impedance switch: 1600ohm/400ohm
- Hi-Z input, instrument input with more than 2Mohm input impedance
- Output level control
- Illuminated switches, except for the phantom toggle switch
- Regulated, internal power supply with a toroidal transformer
- Selectable between 115 and 230V
No review yet, Be first to Write a Review