TK Audio BC501-GR 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor
The TK Audio BC501-GR 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor is one of the most transparent stereo bus compressors ever made.
The smooth, soft compression together with the blend control, high-pass filter and the THD function are much appreciated features that now have been expanded with the grab function, known from the BC1-THD. The grab function turns the threshold knee harder and makes the compressor even more perfect for the drum-bus.
TK Audio BC501-GR 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor Features
- External sidechain input via a stereo 3.5mm TRS (unbalanced stereo)
- THD circuit that adds even harmonics
- Blend control from dry to compressed in 41 steps
- Selectable grab function which offers a harder threshold knee.
- Three HPF frequencies; 80Hz, 150Hz and 220Hz.
- Selectable THD function for more “even” harmonics.
- Smooth blend control for parallel compression.
TK Audio BC501-GR 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor Specifications
- Power requirement: +120mA / -100mA (total)
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-0dB
- THD+N @ 1kHz: less than 0.005%
- Signal to noise ratio: 95dB
- Cross talk: -90dB
- Input impedance: 24kohm
- Output impedance: 50ohm
- Max input level: +26dBu
- Max output level: +27dBu
- Threshold: -20dB to +20dB in 41 steps
- Make-up: 0 to +20dB in 41 steps
- Ratio: 1:25, 1.5:1, 2:1, 4:1, 6:1, 10:1
- Attack: 0.1, 0.3, 0.6, 1, 3, 6, 10, 30, 60, 120mS
- Release: 50, 100, 300, 600mS, 1.2S and Auto (50mS/2S)
- HP Filter: 80Hz, 150Hz and 220Hz (-6dB/octave)
- Grab: selects a harder threshold knee
TK Audio BC501-GR 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor includes
- BC501 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor
- 2 year warranty
What We Think
The TK Audio BC501 500-Series Stereo Bus Compressor comes off in the vein of a loved buss comp (from a well known British console). The BC501 is a relatively natural sounding comp, with a slight bit of pleasing roundness (or maybe a slight softness) to it. The more you push it, you will hear it get a little thick and punchy, but it is never over the top. You can get it to tighten things up very well, and add an overall glue to a mix or drum buss. Add in the THD feature and you can add a nice attitude that pushes the sound in a fun direction. I really liked that for rock and rap (more up beat and energetic music). More than anything else though, I love the blend knob. Being able to do parallel compression at the unit makes this comp nicely flexible.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
One of the best purchases I've made. This is the 500 series of a compressor called the magic glue for a reason. The sound is phenomenal and I'm not into exaggerating when it comes to gear. It can go from smooth to aggressive and yet still sound musical. There is a lot of control over the sound and I even use across the 2 bus during mix downs. A purchase you won't regret at a price that's well worth it.