Speck Electronics ASC-V 500-Series Equalizer
The Speck Electronics ASC-V 500-Series Equalizer is a professional single channel 4-band equalizer in a vertical module compatible with 500-Series rack frames.
It is simple...it is useful...and it delivers the high quality and specifications found in all Speck Electronics gear. This compact 4-band parametric equalizer has 12 controls for equalization adjustment that covers the audio spectrum from a low 25Hz all the way up to 25kHz. To enhance the classic EQ experience, the ASC-V offers both transformer-balanced and active-balanced outputs.
4 Sweepable Bands
- L Band - a low band that sweeps the low frequencies from 25Hz - 400Hz. This band offers a Peak/Shelf select switch.
- L/M Band - a switchable low and mid band. This fully parametric section can be switched between a low frequency band that sweeps from 40Hz - 800Hz, or a mid frequency band that sweeps 400Hz - 8kHz. This band has a variable bandwidth adjustment.
- M Band - a fully parametric mid band with a frequency sweep range from 400Hz to 10kHz.
- H Band - a high band that adjusts the high frequency from 2kHz all the way up to 25kHz. This band also offers a Peak/Shelf select switch.
The Rear Panel
In addition to the standard rack friendly edge connector, the ASC-V has a set of 1/4" TRS input/output jacks, and a power input connector. With these I/O connectors and the optional power module, you can ignore the PC edge connector and use the ASC-V as a stand alone EQ.
We even offer a mounting base that will hold a single EQ or a pair of the ASC-V's.
Connect the ASC-V to virtually any line level source; balanced, unbalanced, or mixer inserts. The Model ASC-V has high headroom that will handle balanced signals up to +28dBu.
Speck Electronics ASC-V 500-Series Equalizer Features
- Unified 5.25" vertical module format that is compatible with API-style 500-Series racks.
- Unique design allows module to be operated without rack. Can be self-powered and has 1/4" TRS I/O jacks.
- Transformer and Active-balanced outputs.
- Optional base kit can hold 1 or 2 ASC-V's for tabletop operation.
- Captive mounting screws stay with the module and extend to pull the module out of the rack.
Speck Electronics ASC-V 500-Series Equalizer Specifications
- Frequency Response 2Hz-135kHz (+0/-3dB)
- THD+n 0014% @ +24 dBu
- Residual Noise -102dBu (22Hz-22kHz)
- Maximum Input/Output Level +28dBu /+28dBu
- Input Impedance 30K Ohms (Balanced) 15K Ohms (Unbalanced)
- Output Impedance 600 Ohms (Transformer-balanced 60 Ohms (Active-balanced)
- Dimensions HxWxD=5.25" x 1.59" x 5.9" (133mm x 38mm x 150mm)
- Rack Power Requirements +/- 16VDC @ 35ma
- External AC Power Supply 120VAC or 230VAC
Speck Electronics ASC-V 500-Series Equalizer Reviews
Speck Electronics ASC-V 500-Series Equalizer Downloads
- Speck Electronics ASC-V 4-Band Equalizer Brochure (PDF)
- Speck Electronics ASC-V 4-Band Equalizer Recall Sheet (PDF)
What We Think - Speck Electronics ASC-V Review
"The SpeckElectronics ASC-V 500-Series 4-Band Equalizer is fantastic either in a 500-series rack or standalone when paired with the Speck Electronics ASC-V Mounting Base Kit (which also lets you mount a second ASC-V for a stereo pair). It seems that Speck gear always evokes the same response from anyone who uses it; "I ended up liking the Speck stuff a LOT more than I thought I was going to." Somewhere along the line, Speck got saddled with a reputation of being really clean gear. Unfortunately, people assume that clean = boring, and nothing could be further from the truth with Speck Electronics gear. The ASC-V has become one of my favorite little hardware pieces for really getting a great sound. It really lets you get in there and carve out your sound just perfectly. Sonically, though it's not a clone of other piece of gear, I would say that it reminds me of a great sounding SSL equalizer, but the differing eq points certainly make this unit something wholly it's own. I would consider the Speck Electronics ASC-V as a go-to main channel eq without reservation."
- Front End Audio
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I'm sort of swapping between my Inward Connections 500 series Step Eq's (x2) and two Speck ASC-V eq's on my 500 Series rack. I must say the more I use the ASC-V's from Speck, the more I enjoy them. They are extremely surgical and tailor made for exact frequency settings as opposed to a more broad approach that you'd get with lets say a Pultec EQ. They are my go-to EQ's, I enjoy them more than Avedis E27's, Neve 551's, and a plethora of other 500 series EQ's. Get one - better yet grab a pair and don't look back.