Softube British Class A Plug-In
The Softube British Class A Plug-In adds body and character to your tracks with a Console 1 strip inspired by classic British units from the '60s and early '70s — collecting the most coveted and distinctive sounding units of the pro audio world in a single channel.
Paired with the smooth workflow and hands-on control you'd expect of Console 1, British Class A gives you the perfect mix solution for the DAW-based studio.
Muscular and musical
Let your tracks soak in the fat transformer crunch of the input stage, get great tone with the honey-sweet equalizer, control dynamics with the beautifully musical compressor, smash them into oblivion with the limiter, and keep things tight and tidy with the smooth gate.
Pushing the transformer-based circuits of these classic analog units too hard resulted in a warm and tasteful distortion character which dominated the personality of these desks. In the British Class A it's accessible with a single knob.
To ensure the model's accuracy, the British Class A Equalizer has been based on several different original vintage hardware pieces. While the sound is indistinguishable from the analog originals, the British Class A Equalizer offers even greater flexibility by incorporating dual mid bands instead of a single one. This lets you shape your sounds in creative ways that with the original hardware would have required two daisy-chained equalizers.
The British Class A Compressor adds a full-bodied and syrupy tone to the sound source, in addition to its highly musical gain reduction. The model is based on the classic British diode bridge compressor/limiter, which first came out in 1968. But just as with the equalizer, we've added extra flexibility, incorporating a modification used by many top-level studios to improve control of attack times and additional release times.
The original compressor unit incorporated both a compressor and a limiter. For maximum usability, we have modelled the two separately and installed them as two distinct plug-ins in British Class A. Use the British Class A Limiter for exceedingly subtle level control — or for beating your sounds into submission.
One of the lesser-known classic British units, the original gate shared the same form factor as the famous equalizer and compressor units modeled in British Class A. It was also a transformer based class A design and does a terrific job of keeping tracks tighter and cleaner. Using the sidechain input makes it very useful for ultra-musical keying purposes.
Softube British Class A Plug-In Features
- Channel emulation for Softube Console 1 with EQ, compressor, limiter, gate, high/low cut filters and input stage drive.
- Inspired by vintage British Class A hardware units.
- Doubled equalizer mid band.
- Additional compressor attack/release times, based on the most famous modification available.
- Perfectly compatible with Console 1.
Softube British Class A Plug-In System Requirements
- Mac OS X 10.12 or newer (older OS versions may work but are not tested).
- Windows 64-bit, versions 7, 8 or 10.
- Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 or newer.
- Screen resolution 1280x800 or larger.
- 8 GB RAM or more is recommended, as well as at least 8 GB hard disk space for installation (individual plug-ins take less space, while sample libraries may require additional disk space. Specific information available on each instrument's page).
- Softube account.
- iLok account.
- Internet access for downloading installer and managing licenses.
- iLok generation 2 and up, if you intend to use an iLok dongle for authorizing your plug-ins (note that an iLok dongle is not a requirement).
- In theory, any 64-bit VST, VST3, AU, or AAX (11.0.2 or higher) compatible host application should work.
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I am very happy with my Console 1 purchase. I have the SSL 4000 and British Class A channels. Both sound awesome and bring a polish to my tracks that is the familiar sound of my favorite albums. I hope Softube releases a Trident and API version, too.