Smart Research C1 Compressor
The Smart Research C1 Compressor delivers a cost-effective and stripped down version of the full-blown Smart Research C2 Compressor. Without the CRUSH feature and the Sidechain Inputs, the C1 most closely mimics the basic form of the classic British VCA console bus compressor, but with Alan Smart's attention and sonic refinements firmly in place.
The Smart Research C1 Compressor is the original black front panel version of the much loved Smart Research C2 Compressor. The Smart Research C1 Compressor features two sets of controls and two audio channels but it does not include sidechain inputs or CRUSH facility which are present on the Smart Research C2 Compressor. The Smart Research C1 Compressor has been a popular, longtime staple of both UK studios and among pro studios along the west coast of the US, primarily.
Smart Research C1 Compressor Features
- Original black front panel version of C2 compressor
- Features two sets of controls
- Includes two audio channels
Smart Research C1 Compressor Specifications
- Power: 100v-240v AC selectable, 30 watts.
- Noise floor: Below -92 dBm (flat 20Hz-20Khz).
- Distortion: Below 0.025% (1K/+4 THD 20Hz-20Khz)
- Frequency Response: Within 1/2dB from 20Hz to 20Khz.
- Depth in rack: 9.45 inches / 240mm
- Main input: Balanced, impedance 10K per leg.
- Output: Unbalanced (p2 hot default). Above +21dBm.
- Threshold: Adjustable -15 to +15dBm.
- Make-up gain: Adjustable 0 to +15dBm.
Smart Research C1 Compressor Includes
- Smart Research C1 Compressor
- IEC Power Cable
- Manual & Literature
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I was talked out of selling my C1 by a well known mastering engineer here in Sydney. He basically said it was 'the one' as far as representing an SSL 4K quad compressor, which is entirely possible given Alan Smart's association with Solid State Logic during the 1980s. I am sure glad is said that! This compressor really goes rock. It has that slightly lazy compression envelope that glues everything together is such a musical way. Alan Smart and the team at Smart Research are really top notch people too! I have ordered spare parts and he even took the time to leave a little hand written note in the package. Its a top quality piece of gear made by great people whom clearly are very passionate about what they do.
I whacked some drums there it here if you want to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aeOr5v8vxE